How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
19-01-2009
  1
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 3
Breaking into the fashion industry....HELP!!!!
Why is it so hard to find a job in the fashion industry if you do not have enough work experience.

I have a HND in fashion design and graduated nearly ten years ago now. All I want is to work within the fashion industry but have never been able to find a job. They say I do not have enough experience in the field, but how can I gain this valuable experience if nobody wants to give me a chance.
I was initially interested in design only but have since been looking for buying, production assistant, stylist and many other job related to fashion - even a secretary or admin assistant in the industry - but no luck.

I have a real passion for fashion and do not want to ever give up on it, but all I need is a chance to prove myself. I will gladly start right from the bottom just as long as I am in the industry and can work my way up.
I would also love to work with catwalk shows, backstage or runway coaching but have never been able to find a job vacancy in this field in the UK. I only see these positions advertised in USA...... I would love to relocate to the USA if anyone would take me...
Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas on what I can do. Also is there a demand for fashion journalism because I was thinking of doing a course on freelance journalism.
I feel like I went to university for no reason, I need to break into the industry somehow PLEASE HELP....!!

  Reply With Quote
 
19-01-2009
  2
front row
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: hong kong
Gender: homme
Posts: 272
CONNECTION - YOU NEED CONNECTIONS !

thats one of the most important "skill" needed in the industry !

still what do you REALLY want to do ? what is that one job that u want in the industry.... ?
break it down to what is important to you and where u can use the skills you have....

  Reply With Quote
19-01-2009
  3
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Gender: femme
Posts: 18
Why not take some internships? Not sure how things work in the UK, but in Germany if you want a job that's hard to get, you take an internship (often unpaid) for 3 months to make connections and get experience. The better your internships, the better your job chances are. It works this way in most of Europe actually.

  Reply With Quote
19-01-2009
  4
tfs star
 
miss_nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,977
I agree with the last two. It is all about connections and interning for free.

I know people who interned for 2 years for free before they got into the fashion industry.

The best way would also to contact the fashion companies themselves rather than recruitment agencies.

I got an interview the Gucci group by applying directly. It took them 6 months to reply, but at least they did.

Companies do not want to pay agency fees so this is the best way.

__________________
Just Because...
  Reply With Quote
20-01-2009
  5
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,562
Welcome to the Fashion Spot, dimples59uk!

Yes ... unpaid internships = experience and you start making connections, so that is usually a very important step. Usually this is done while you are still in fashion school ... but do your homework ... and you may find a place to start, even if you do not have the school behind you. Sometimes an internship will turn into a real job, if they like you well enough and you have demonstrated your value.

Assisting and/or interning for freelance stylists, volunteering at fashion weeks ... do anything that gets you into the environment will get you started on making connections.

I also agree with miss nyc .... contact the companies directly for jobs and/or internships .... it's usually a better bet.

If you want to be a journalist ... then start writing ... start a blog, volunteer articles to online publications ... get published, even if it's on line. tFS even takes submissions ... see the pinnned thread near the top of this forum.

There are threads that you need to read on the various topics you mentioned, and threads on lots of other jobs in the industry. Here's a sampling of what's here.

All About Internships and Work Experience Placements
I need Contact Info for Publicists / Designers / Showrooms / Magazines / Stores / etc
All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist
How to Get Work at a Fashion Magazine & Get to the Top
What education you need to do to get into magazines??
Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing
Volunteering for Fashion Week Shows
Ten Things You Didn't Know About Fashion Week
Becoming a Buyer?


Learn to do an advanced search to find threads on any subject by thread titles, as I just did here. To learn how to do that, there is a thread pinned near the top of the Member Support forum.
Searching for Something? ... How to Narrow Down Search Results at tFS

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

Last edited by BetteT; 20-01-2009 at 12:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote
20-01-2009
  6
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,562
Oh ... one more idea for you ... visual merchandising! That is where you work on the window dispalys in stores. Although it won't make connections on the inside of the fashion industry (with designers and such) but it can become a creative outlet for you as you advance. We have a thread on that, too.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
20-01-2009
  7
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 3
Hi all, Thankyou for your replies. I would like to concentrate on designing, this has always been my passion. I have tried to get work placements unpaid and still no luck - i wonder what they are looking for because I am never successful. I will definately contact the companies directly rather than going through the agencies, maybe this will help. You all gave me great ideas, and to BETTE I will look at the threads you sent me. THANKS. Also I was a visual merchandiser for nearly two years but had to give it up because I hurt my back, so I then went on to work in retail. Now I work at a non fashion company which I hate with a passion. I will keep looking, maybe I will find even an entry level job - which is just as hard to get. Thanks ALL....X

  Reply With Quote
26-01-2009
  8
rising star
 
Bespoke Style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: International Globe Trotter
Gender: femme
Posts: 120
Ohhh bette T spot on with the visual merchandising... I landed everybody's dream VM job at 19 - worked 3 days a week freelancing- earned more money than all my friends slaving their minds away at their 9-5 jobs.... I was out there meeting people, managers, sales assistants and the more impressed they got- the more "larger" companies I had after me- at 19, I could ask for 60k

VM is honestly the easiest way to network and if you have THAT eye in style and fashion- the industry is your oyster.

Nothing is impossible, I promise you.

Good luck x

  Reply With Quote
28-01-2009
  9
backstage pass
 
aldn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: homme
Posts: 897
Whoa! In Los Angeles it seems a postion even for visuals is impossible to land. Maybe because I'm still in school...

__________________
"The one thing that always scares me is to be like the Miss America of the moment, because next year there is a new Miss America" - Alber
  Reply With Quote
30-01-2009
  10
rising star
 
Bespoke Style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: International Globe Trotter
Gender: femme
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldn View Post
Whoa! In Los Angeles it seems a postion even for visuals is impossible to land. Maybe because I'm still in school...

Start networking with boutique owners or store managers of small labels- ask them if you can work with them or on your own on a weekly basis with rotating new stock in the windows on mannequins and even if you can help merchandise new stock as it arrives, its all trial and error and once you begin to understand what stock sells where best; I'm sure they will hire you, if not; being surrounded by people in the industry will definitely lead you somewhere you want to be!

P.S ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR WORK FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE JOB- BEFORE & AFTER SHOTS!

  Reply With Quote
09-03-2009
  11
backstage pass
 
aldn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: homme
Posts: 897
^^^Thanks

__________________
"The one thing that always scares me is to be like the Miss America of the moment, because next year there is a new Miss America" - Alber
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2009
  12
trendsetter
 
vavavinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Welcome to the Fashion Spot, dimples59uk!

Yes ... unpaid internships = experience and you start making connections, so that is usually a very important step. Usually this is done while you are still in fashion school ... but do your homework ... and you may find a place to start, even if you do not have the school behind you. Sometimes an internship will turn into a real job, if they like you well enough and you have demonstrated your value.

Assisting and/or interning for freelance stylists, volunteering at fashion weeks ... do anything that gets you into the environment will get you started on making connections.

I also agree with miss nyc .... contact the companies directly for jobs and/or internships .... it's usually a better bet.

If you want to be a journalist ... then start writing ... start a blog, volunteer articles to online publications ... get published, even if it's on line. tFS even takes submissions ... see the pinnned thread near the top of this forum.

There are threads that you need to read on the various topics you mentioned, and threads on lots of other jobs in the industry. Here's a sampling of what's here.

All About Internships and Work Experience Placements
I need Contact Info for Publicists / Designers / Showrooms / Magazines / Stores / etc
All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist
How to Get Work at a Fashion Magazine & Get to the Top
What education you need to do to get into magazines??
Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing
Volunteering for Fashion Week Shows
Ten Things You Didn't Know About Fashion Week
Becoming a Buyer?


Learn to do an advanced search to find threads on any subject by thread titles, as I just did here. To learn how to do that, there is a thread pinned near the top of the Member Support forum.
Searching for Something? ... How to Narrow Down Search Results at tFS
First of all I would like to thank you for being available to all of the users for advice. I think that is amazing and great of you.

You mention that there is an option for users to submit writings to TFS? I cannot find where to do that on the site. I'm sorry lol. How would I got about submitting my writings?

__________________
"The only real elegance is in the mind; if you've got that, the rest really comes from it." Diana Vreeland
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2009
  13
front row
 
diorrnottwarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
You mention that there is an option for users to submit writings to TFS? I cannot find where to do that on the site. I'm sorry lol. How would I got about submitting my writings?
http://www.thefashionspot.com/submissions

__________________
"That's what I think everyone should aspire to in life-being shameless" ---Marc Jacobs
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2009
  14
trendsetter
 
vavavinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,241
Thank you so much !

__________________
"The only real elegance is in the mind; if you've got that, the rest really comes from it." Diana Vreeland
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2009
  15
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
First of all I would like to thank you for being available to all of the users for advice. I think that is amazing and great of you.

You mention that there is an option for users to submit writings to TFS? I cannot find where to do that on the site. I'm sorry lol. How would I got about submitting my writings?
You are welcome ... glad I can help.


I beleive there are threads about submitting to tFS in our Member Support forum and also in the Announcements forum. Keep an eye out in these forums ... it's where members learn more about tFS.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
breaking, fashion, industryhelp
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.