How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2006
windowshopping

Business Graduates in the Fashion Industry?
Hi everyone, I'm a business (finance) major, set to graduate in a year. I love business, but my #1 passion is fashion OF COURSE! Since I will be looking for jobs/internships soon, I would love some input from you guys, especially from the ones who do work in the business part of fashion!

Where would be a good position to start at?! Is an associate's degree in fashion merchandising (I have taken a few classes at a junior college- but no where close to finishing the whole thing) absolutely necessary?

Thank you

23-07-2006
scenester

most of the big companies have finance departments, and the people who work in them don't have fashion backgrounds. so, a merchandising minor would not be necessary. if you want to get a good idea of what skill sets you'll need, you could look at Women's Wear Daily online every Wednesday to see the classified section (they post the most classifieds on Wednesday) and it will give you a brief description of the background you'll need for Finance positions. HTH.

14-03-2007
backstage pass

Business Graduates in the Fashion Industry?
Hi all! I'm currently an undergrad business major and would love to work in the fashion industry. I'm just not sure if there is room for a business grad in that world. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can share their experience/career paths.

What was your major and what do you do in the fashion industry? Perks and downers of your job? Thanks a bunch in advance!

16-03-2007
backstage pass

Many of the people that I know in the fashion industry have business degrees or other degrees not related at all to fashion. that's the most basic degree you can have and can therefore be able to a multitude of positions and industries. The fashion industry is not just about clothes. There is a lot of business that goes down from marketing to sourcing to licensing to accounting.

16-03-2007
fashion icon

Hi Young Princess,

I have a Bachelors Degree in Business with a major in Marketing; an MBA with focus in Marketing and have just completed a PhD in Business with a focus in Marketing. With all of these degrees I’ve worked quite a bit in the Fashion industry.

I’ve worked at Elle magazine, which I must say my education did not prepare me for. The best way to get into the fashion magazine industry is to start off as an intern. I’ve also worked as an advertising consultant for large fashion and cosmetic companies in the UK, Canada and France.

Now that I’m finishing my PhD I’m getting job offers from LVMH, Rolex SA and Gruppo La Perla.

You don’t have to go up to the degree of education that I did but studying business is a good way to get into these companies. They often hire graduates at entry-level positions (typically in marketing, finance or accounting).

All the people I know in the fashion industry have business degrees or studies fashion and art.

19-03-2007
windowshopping

young_princess, i'm in exactly the same position as you. i'm a business major looking to break into the industry on the corporate side.

CelineChic, thank you for the information in your post! i found it to be quite useful and congratulations on your PhD.

20-03-2007
trendsetter

I'm studying a bachelor of business majoring in marketing so i can save to start up my label... I'm doing a bachelor of design in fashion and textiles as well

fashion icon

I'm in third year business management (though I'm also taking a few marketing and hospitality classes)... I've been making jewellery for the last four-five years, am working towards becoming a stylist and also hope to open up a boutique in the future...

I definitely think there's room for business graduates in the fashion industry (there'd better be otherwise, I'll drop out of uni now!). I've always been a very creative person at heart... I never imagined that I would end up studying business and trust me, I've contemplated dropping out many, many times! I think having a business background is something of a bonus to have when entering an industry such as fashion.

fullfrontal
, I agree with your point too; fashion is one big money-making business. Without knowing all the facts and figures, you never know where you're gonna end up in this crazy world...

And congrats CelineChic on getting your PhD!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineChic
Hi Young Princess,

I have a Bachelors Degree in Business with a major in Marketing; an MBA with focus in Marketing and have just completed a PhD in Business with a focus in Marketing. With all of these degrees Iíve worked quite a bit in the Fashion industry.

Iíve worked at Elle magazine, which I must say my education did not prepare me for. The best way to get into the fashion magazine industry is to start off as an intern. Iíve also worked as an advertising consultant for large fashion and cosmetic companies in the UK, Canada and France.

Now that Iím finishing my PhD Iím getting job offers from LVMH, Rolex SA and Gruppo La Perla.

You donít have to go up to the degree of education that I did but studying business is a good way to get into these companies. They often hire graduates at entry-level positions (typically in marketing, finance or accounting).

All the people I know in the fashion industry have business degrees or studies fashion and art.
Yes, try getting some work as an intern. It is probably too late to apply this summer but visit uofdreams.com. They have internships open to anyone in post secondary and fashion is an option. Although you won't make any money and probably incurr many costs it is one opportunity I would not pass up. You can make so many connections and work in a City and Industry of your dreams. Far more valueable than spending the summer working in retail

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania
I'm in third year business management (though I'm also taking a few marketing and hospitality classes)... I've been making jewellery for the last four-five years, am working towards becoming a stylist and also hope to open up a boutique in the future...

I definitely think there's room for business graduates in the fashion industry (there'd better be otherwise, I'll drop out of uni now!). I've always been a very creative person at heart... I never imagined that I would end up studying business and trust me, I've contemplated dropping out many, many times! I think having a business background is something of a bonus to have when entering an industry such as fashion.

fullfrontal, I agree with your point too; fashion is one big money-making business. Without knowing all the facts and figures, you never know where you're gonna end up in this crazy world...

And congrats CelineChic on getting your PhD!

Thanks

Combining your business degree and your interest in designing jewelry sounds like a great entrepreneurial idea. Maybe an online store where you can sell your jewelry would be a good business venture for you. Afterall, working for yourself is always better than working for someone else.

11-04-2007
backstage pass

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies and Celine, congrats with your PhD. I'm actually an accounting major and hope to be a buyer for saks someday. However I dont have any retail experiences but I love fashion I just dont know if my passion is enough to be hired to get the job . I wish I have more time to get internships in retail but I'm already a junior and want my internships to be accounting related.

Last edited by young_princess; 11-04-2007 at 05:23 PM.
13-04-2007
fashion icon

Wow that sounds great CelineChic, congratulations!
I found this article quite interesting about the corporate side of fashion which I'm hoping to break into eventually (studying a combined B.A and B.Comm degree, majoring in Econometrics, Finance, Art History and English).

From Time.com, "Who's Got the Power?"
http://www.time.com/time/style/artic...533542,00.html

15-04-2007
fashion icon

I find that business students are wanted in every industry. I have a few business students who have started working at Tommy Hillfiger and L'Oreal and loving it. They're making great pay while combining their two interests.

From expreience I've noticed that in the fashion industry companies are looking for a lot of entry-level marketing, finance, and management students.

19-04-2007
scenester

what about programs like parson's AAS fashion marketing? has anyone had any experience or heard anything about it?

19-04-2007
front row

I'm not in the industry, but I presume that your degree would be quite useful as half the fashion industry is about business anyway

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
business, fashion, graduates, industry