How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2009
rising star

Hello!
I'm also new here! (first post)
Like you, I'm also considering of opening my own boutique or fashion line but I have little knowledge about fashion and clothing (sewing, patterns etc.).
I know something about the aspects of business and art since I can draw, can design some clothing but I can hardly sew.
I like to create something like high fashion with not so high prices like Zara but with a limited number of boutiques.
I think the best advice I can give for us is to try our best to know something about fashion that we are not particularly good at. Like I need to study sewing, fabrics, pattern making etc.

11-01-2009
V.I.P.

welcome!^

Believe me, you also learn a lot and can be more creative with design if you know how to sew, draft patterns, use fabrics, etc.

It's not so difficult, you just need patience --and you can start learning them on your own (I am!). We have threads on recommended textbooks, art techniques and you can also use the DIY Forum for help

17-03-2009
rising star

Courses vs. Degree in Fashion Design
I was thinking about taking some courses at FIT which I am currently doing right now. I am only taking one. But I wanted some advice. Do I need to go for the FULL Associates Degree in Fashion Design? Or can I just take the most important classes and even take some of the certificate courses in addition to perfect my craft. I want to work in the fashion industry as a designer before I am 30 years old. I am going on a part time basis during the evening. I am also working. I plan to take all of the Fashion Art and Design courses and the draping, sewing, flat patter design including all of the advance courses when I get to that stage plus, I plan to take all of the textile courses and stuff but do I need to take every single course? Figure Drawing, Model Drawing for example.

I know that there are a lot of people who are self taught fashion designers and they don't know how to do Figure Drawing and Model Drawing but they can sketch or even cannot sketch. But is Figure Drawing and Model Drawing and other courses like that necessary. Is it necessary to go for another degree.

Thanks

17-03-2009
V.I.P.

I've wondered about that too when I was in school. Depends where you are I guess, but from my own experience no one asks to see the piece of paper which says diploma or degree. You just show that you can do the job and/or you have the references (from prior work experience placements or wherever) to back you up.
Looks like you will be taking a lot of courses anyway, and in my case I had considered not taking one... Ironically that course became my favourite subject and is what I'm focused on now. A teacher just encouraged me to take it, and I did unwillingly ^^

I'm referring to my textiles study there^ but for several months now I had been working and also taking one course in pattern drafting which ended last week, and also private lessons in construction.
I find I am maybe missing things like business or learning about line sheets and flats, which I could have been exposed to if I went to a traditional school but in a couple of days I will start an internship at a label here and hopefully I can learn all those things. What I'm missing is what I've read in requirements for job seekers, when viewing classified listings for fashion jobs... However they also require 5-7 years of prior experience, which you don't get automatically going to school

26-03-2009
Fashion Designer

i know in this particular business a diploma or degree as gius says is not that important. But i find school very important, although they cant give you the same experience an actual job can there are way more contacts and people you can meet through school. Theres always visits to factories or ateliers from other designers, i dont know it gives you a better perspective of how is it going to be once you graduate.

And when you are starting your career knowing the right people can take you to the right places. Its also easier to go to a different country through a school than by yourself if you want that, and if you are good at it you can always get scolarships if you cant afford it or just want it for free.

26-03-2009
backstage pass

I think the most important contacts you get working in different places...it's always the same people moving around in the different offices and it's good to be reccomended by them.

26-03-2009
V.I.P.

that's true.. contacts and traveling through schools

it sure depends on the school
most of who i know is from my own research, i attended artist events and met with people on my own
but the school does open your eyes on what else is possible out there

a combination of school and your own research is good

15-06-2009
front row

Becoming a menswear designer...
I am an aspiring menswear designer. My dream is to have my own brand someday. But first thing first, how do I start? I live in a small town with no fashion schools. The closest thing is the Art Institute. I have my little sketchbook, am learning how to sew, and will buy a mannequin later. Thus I am wondering what should I do next? How do I get into the fashion world? Do I have to move to New York or join a reality show? I need some advice 'coz I really want my dream to come true.

P.S. any good sewing/fashion books?

Thank you

15-06-2009
scenester

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...clothing_line/

You are young go to NYC - Anna Sui left Michigan and went to NYC. Read the link to The Fashion Incubator. Become a pattern maker go to FIT in NYC. You and opportunities will meet each other.

Do not waste your money at The Art Institute schools are a chain of schools who get government funding per student just like FIDM, they take anyone talent or not. It is a business sellign artistic careers which have a low success rate. What you get is a mediocre education that will not work in NYC and a large bill for paying loans, if you can even get one. FIT in NYC is where to go.

Last edited by ofewne datwiste; 15-06-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: because i want to add
15-06-2009
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!!

I've merged this with a small ongoing thread. I'm also going to redirect you to some threads that will help you with all your questions ... we already have topics about each of them. Although we don't specify "menswear" in these threads ... it's the same education and process to get into any type of fashion design ... at least the basics.

Education to Become a Designer: Is a Degree Necessary? Can I Do Individualized Study?

High School Students, How to Prepare For Fashion School

Art High Schools / Specialized High schools

The Art Institute (s) (USA & Canada)

Books for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Developing your Own Line. Etc.

Fashion Career Focused Publications & Periodicals

Fashion Illustration & Drawing, How to? / Art materials, croquis, templates, books.

can you handle it? being a fashion designer *wwd article

Fashion designers without a degree?

16-06-2009
V.I.P.

romeoelliott where are you learning how to sew?

16-06-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
romeoelliott where are you learning how to sew?
at home...by myself. couldnt find anyone to teach me

16-06-2009
V.I.P.

are you using any kind of textbooks?

i am doing some studies on my own now too, but i started with private lessons from a tutor. maybe you can find community courses in sewing there? there are high schools here that have evening classes in sewing, and anyone can join. they even have courses in pattern making.
some sewing machine shops also offer classes in sewing.

i think it's good to have a mentor/someone who has all the experience to guide you in the beginning. they know about the standards. so, maybe if possible you can find a sewing community there or even someplace like meetup.com where people with similar interests meet together

from my experience it's easier for me to study on my own, now that i have learned the basics (or at least some of).

16-06-2009
scenester

Sure there are loads of known designers who don't sew, perhaps don't know how too and don't know their patterns. They got very lucky.

If you want to be an aspiring designer, learn how to sew and learn how to make patterns, even if it's just the basics. You're not going to suddenly have tons of money to hire people for sewing and patterns and your designs will most likely suffer terrible amounts from not having any knowledge in pattern making and sewing.
How can you design brilliant designs if you don't know the construction part that comes along with it. You need to know what's possible and how things work before you can design them.

In my honest opinion no one can call themselves a really good designer, unless they have the knowledge of designing and construction or the reputation to back them up.

16-06-2009
rising star

I completely agree,practice practice practice. Bust out the dress form and go to work, don't just spend all day sketching, get those shears in your hands. I'm a big believer in "if your going to call yourself a designer you should at least know the basics of sewing and patternmaking"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, degree, designer, fashion, school