How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2006
front row

A Career in Fashion Forecasting
I was wondering if anyone here does this as a career? I was reading this book I have called "Career Opportunities in the Fashion Industry" by Peter Vogt and this is a career I had never really thought about before. It says they make $50-100 + thousand a year on average, but it also said it's a very hard for entry level people to break in. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this they can share? In one year I should be graduating from Apparel Merch. & Product Development w/ a minor in marketing, and I am looking to narrow down what I want to do. Thank you!

28-03-2006
windowshopping

My tutor at uni does fashion forecasting for the ICA, we had a brief assignment which helped us to understand how to forcast and then went on to design a collection from what we had found - Its really interesting, i'd love to go into it as a career. When i see her next i'll ask her how she got the job there (if she doesnt mind) and let you know if you like

28-03-2006
front row

hey thanks!

windowshopping

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that that is possibly the world's best career.

29-03-2006
etre soi-meme

its real hard to break into this, best thing is to apply for a trend forecasting company and work your way from there..
there are global 'webs' for fashion/makeup/decoration/industrial design etc forecasting, sociology education real helps, one needs skills to de/code the comming trends in more than esthetic ways

but yes, its absolutely one of the most interesting (and well payed) fashion/decoration related careers around

09-04-2006
V.I.P.

I'm veyr intrested in this. Does one usally break into this by geting some kind fashion degree and interning/working for an agency and working your way up?

front row

criticsdarling, what school are you going to? I'm thinking of majoring in fashion merchandising.

10-04-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
I'm veyr intrested in this. Does one usally break into this by geting some kind fashion degree and interning/working for an agency and working your way up?
sociology/anthropological studies and history of fashion or art/design can help more than fashion studies spacemiu..
trend forecasting agencies work in a much wider spectrum han just fashion and need to have a 'holistic' view on the domino-effect of trends in decoration, art, beauty, industrial design and fashion..
its much more 'deep' than fashion , its sociology/anthropology/economics

10-04-2006
offline.

I love fashion forecasting meetings... so great!

12-04-2006
front row

want2bbones~ I go to Bowling Green State University in Ohio But I don't reccomned my school in particular because put it this way...I'm a junior in my 2nd semester and couldn't get into even 1 course in my major because they were all full. Some of my peers have gone 2 semester without getting any! It's very under staffed. BUt alot of schools offer programs in this field!

By the way, this past week I got a call out of the blue asking me to be a visual merchandiser at Forever 21! It's the most fun job ever and I think it's good experience if trend forecasting is what I end up aiming towards.

etre soi-meme

top trend forecasting offices in europe (Paris) that may occasionally be on the look out for fresh talents : Nelly Rodi, Peclers, Promostyl, Carlin, i would sent a cv, i mean why not right?

one could also try smaller 'forecasting labs', assisting in a 'local' rising 'bureaux du style' or joining the 'group' of one of the new rising consultants, too many possibilities really, trend interconnecting/forecasting ability is a real must, networking and frequent travel ability could help..

25-03-2007
ele
rising star

Fashion-Trend Prediction / Fashion Weather
Hi, I am really interested in becoming someone who works in predicting up and coming trends, as their full-time job, working for major fashion labels and companies, as well on a smaller scale, for shops and boutiques. Does anyone know if there is a place to study specifcally for this or if it falls under other courses ??? Or how one goes about getting this kind of experience / job ???

THANX

30-03-2007
etre soi-meme

sociology/anthropological studies, fashion history/management/design studies, languages and an ability to travel will sure help anyone dealing with fashion forecasting

try contact trend forecasting agencies and ask for interning vacancies

31-03-2007
ele
rising star

thankyou Lena.. also how do i find trend forecasting agencies ?

01-04-2007
etre soi-meme

try web search

our trend forecasting discussion(s) at tFS trendspotting forum are packed with information

Last edited by Lena; 01-04-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, fashion, forecasting