How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2007
scenester

^^^^
i think i've made a mistake here due to my poor eng.
the "door" part is after the interview, it's just the way of telling the results...
people did get interviewed and being judged on their portfolio

12-02-2007
rising star

hey... i just had my interview today with University of the Arts London and this lady (international admission person) offered me a place in foundation course at CSM and LCF. I have to make a decision by march so I just want some opinions about both colleges' foundation courses. She said that I have to be really sure that I want to do fashion design because foundation course at LCF is quite specific as it's pretty much all about fashion. But she kinda adviced me to go to CSM because I have a variety of differnt kinds of work and I'm interested in a lot of things. The first half of CSM foundation course will allow me to explore a range of different things and if I still wanna do fashion, I can choose to do the fashion pathway in the second half. But the thing is she told me that CSM has about 800 students in the foundation course and because there are so many people, I'm just wondering if foundation at CSM is a good choice ??

12-02-2007
fashion icon

i dont think it matters so much. it is only the foundation..and you have to re-apply again for the BA course a year later anyways.
the lady has a point on the 'do you really want to go into fashion' thing. if you are really considering going into fashion...LCF doesnt sound so shabby..and the cost is cheaper than CSM. CSM sounds better though...hehe

what do you mean by 800 people O_O...you mean they only accept 800 or they have 800 already...oh crap

12-02-2007
rising star

the LCF foundation has a lot of people as well , its not just the csm course.

also, something you should consider is that if you choose the csm foundation, you may not be able to specialize for fashion later on in the course. How the course is structured is for most of the first term, you do a rotation of the 4 different departments - fine art, fahion and textiles, visual communication and 3DD (product design, jewelery etc). When that's over, you have to apply for which area you want to specialize in for the rest of the year. This isn't usually a problem if you want to do something like product design or sculpture, but fashion is very competitive. Maybe about 200 of the 800 (that's a lot! not sure if that's quite right?) will want to do fashion. At least 100 I'd say. But each class is restricted to approx 30 students. There are two Fashion classes so only about 60 people will be able to specialize in fashion for the rest of the course.

You get the picture right?

it's pretty crazy. While all the other classes are empty, there's a massive queue for the people who want to apply for fashion.
There's lots of disappointments and some crying aswell.
I've got friends who wanted to do fashion but are now doing painting or 3D design etc.
But I kind of see it as getting you prepared for your ba application, which is a lot lot lot harder.
Either you cant cope with the rejection and give up. Or you take it like a bitch and keep at it.

But after saying all that, the csm course is good. I'm doing it right now and its a lot of work but I'm really enjoying it. Think you have to be really self motivated. esp. for fashion.

LCF, I know lots of people who are doing the foundation and i've heard a mix of things. Some say they haven't learnt a thing. But then one of my friends, the amount of work she's done so far is ... uh , monumental ? (literally, as she has it all stacked up in a pile lol).

oh, and another thing I like about CSM is that I meet people from other creative fields aswell. Not just fashion related students... not that its such a bad thing ha

14-02-2007
windowshopping

I'm applying for FIT nyc for 2008 for a bachelors degree as an international mature age student. (as i'll be 21 next year), i only have a diploma in fashion business, but I'm currently employed in a fashion agency, does this improve my chances of getting into a bachelors degree in fashion merchandising? I've called but everyone is quite vague about the answers. because i've done a diploma, in Australia it means i can go into Year 2 of the course, but i'm not sure how it works in NYC.

15-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz
have anyone experinced the CSM short courses during summer or easter ?
I'm planning to go there

i was there last summer.i applied for dual summer courses in CSM and NABA (italy) for fashion design beginners.i studied in CSM for two weeks and really enjoyed it,we had basic design sessions,visited a museum then picked a subject and design a collection of it.at the end of two weeks we completed our projects and presented it.but it was real fun,also the tutor was so nice to us. then we got to NABA in italy for another two weeks but really hated the courses at NABA after CSM.i think u can try for just CSM summer courses. i though it'd be nice to study in two colleges in one month.but noafter i came to my country i thought of applying for undergradute fashion design but because of the financial issues i can not.cos it is really freaking expensive for international students.i'm much more sure after i read these threads, i did understand i had few chance to get in.it is really hard.i chatted few people from the college they said fashion department is really hard to get in..

18-02-2007
taz
MUSE

thanks alot zeynn for the info & the tips & good luck.

20-02-2007
fashion insider

I'm asking all the full time students about the school schedule and workload? How often are each class? How big is the workload? How des it work over there?

25-02-2007
Bel
front row

Are there any Americans here who were accepted, or does anybody know any?
I want to know if being American will make it harder for me to get in for any reason... because of not being able to go for an interview, etc.
Do I have to take any standardized tests (A levels?) or will they accept SAST scores?

25-02-2007
V.I.P.

^ This was posted in this thread by educo (who you may want to question for more information /follow-up):

Quote:
I think the reason they ask us for so much more work is because they don't require an interview from an international student. They rather assess you from the portfolio alone. I have asked if I can still get an interview even if I was able to make it anytime they wanted, but they just glossed over that question and said they rather judge it on your work alone.

fashion icon

i finally sent out my app and portfolio yesterday...all i can do now is wait =T

09-03-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU
i finally sent out my app and portfolio yesterday...all i can do now is wait =T
good luck.n keep us posted about what's happening

13-03-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranates

also, something you should consider is that if you choose the csm foundation, you may not be able to specialize for fashion later on in the course. How the course is structured is for most of the first term, you do a rotation of the 4 different departments - fine art, fahion and textiles, visual communication and 3DD (product design, jewelery etc). When that's over, you have to apply for which area you want to specialize in for the rest of the year. This isn't usually a problem if you want to do something like product design or sculpture, but fashion is very competitive. Maybe about 200 of the 800 (that's a lot! not sure if that's quite right?) will want to do fashion. At least 100 I'd say. But each class is restricted to approx 30 students. There are two Fashion classes so only about 60 people will be able to specialize in fashion for the rest of the course.
So how do they decide whether you can specialize in fashion in the second tem or not???

13-03-2007
rising star

from the work that you've done in the first term.

20-03-2007
fashion icon

^but you can use your own stuff you did on your own time right? not only restricted to the school stuff

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint