How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats View Post
Probably irrelevant but surely for BA Fine Art at CSM you don't need a foundation because the Slade, the GSA and the Ruskin don't require one...
Not technically true. Slade prefers one but it is also a four year course as opposed to three years in most places. But if your portfolio is good enough and you can play the applications game, you can skip anything... well that is what I am hoping to do anyway! I really don't want to do the four year slade course PLUS a foundation after my English degree. I'll be positively ancient!

09-07-2007
backstage pass

is anyone studying at CSM doing the MA Fashion (fashion journalism pathway)? I have a place already at LCF to to the PG Cert: Fashion and Lifestyle Journalism, but I have an interview for the MA at CSM on wednesday, just found out today and I'm very scared! Was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to expect?

10-07-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
^im sure there will be a lift...i hope so. it seems like the building only have 3 floors though. doesnt matter..i still wish i can get a top level
i do have msn. made_in_cloverland@hotmail.com
see you in september too!

btw..do you know if my mom can live in the same room with me for a week or so when she comes there with me to help me set up?

for da 1st 3 dayz guests' staying would be free of charge
after dat, it would be around 13 pounds per nite
n there's alot of other rules

windowshopping

How hard is CSM to get into compared to other fashion schools such as Parsons, FIT, etc? Also, how do costs compare?

12-07-2007
fashion icon

^hum...from what i experienced and saw. between parsons and csm, they have different type of students they look for. if you are overall very good, getting into both is no problem. csm in my opinion looks for students who are more eccentric, the weirder the better where as parsons is more technical and they care about your grades more.
portfolio wise, csm ask for 25 to 50 pieces from international students, where as parsons only ask for at most 10 pieces not including their home test.
the cost for parsons and csm is on the same scale. maybe a few hundred pounds more or less. but it's the living cost that ranks up. since london is ranked the most expensive city to live in...hehe...new york is overall cheaper.

jefei - that charging thing, is it for those who live in their OWN room or shared with the person staying there?
if my mom is just sharing the room with me for around a week or so, she still have to pay?
what kind of rules are there?
thanks for replying jefei

12-07-2007
windowshopping

Thanks a lot Muxu! I appreciate it!

14-07-2007
scenester

MUXU, da charge of 13 sth pounds should be a seperated room, for adding a bed in your own room, there should be another charge, but i have no idea of wat da cost's gonna be, well, read da contract, da price should be on it...
i know it's boring, dat's y i've juz read about half way through then juz give up... lol

fashion icon

the contract? o_O
i think i ll just email them XD much more convinent
thanks jefei =)

oh man..im getting my visa done right now. it's such a son of a bitch mainly because i wont be around in the country for 3 weeks @_@
i hope i can get to school on time

15-07-2007
rising star

^ don't worry. u'll be fine. i haven't even started with my visa yet but i will soon. btw, i got into manna ash. i was hoping to get don gratton but manna ash is still good....so i guess i'll see you in csm =)

13-08-2007
fashion icon

^you can see the big farris wheel from manna ash

any of you guys read the suggested summer readings?
im gonna go to a bookstore tomorrow to try and find the books since i cant find them in the public library. sucks

what are you guys gonna wear on the first day? so i know who to say hi to.
jefei, i know what you look like, but you asked me this question so im gonna answer you.
i think im gonna wear this beige dress with ankle boots. just a rough idea

15-08-2007
scenester

well, i think i'm gonna put on my favourite trench coat, a loose t-shirt, simply a pair of jeans n my creeper, juz in case dat i'm da shortest one in da bunch,lol

backstage pass

Can someone help me ?
Well, I'd like to go to CSM but I don't know what to do, I'm lost.

I'd like to become a fashion designer but I don't understand how to become, it's so comlicated and I want to study fashion at CSM. My problem is that I don't understand differences between :
-foundation year
-fashion folio
-BA
-MA

I hope someone will explain me ( and sorry for my poor english, I'm just a clumsy french dude )

23-08-2007
backstage pass

I've heard lots of Asian in the BAcourse....
My tutor said almost half of his class is Asian, becoz their fee is fXXking high
I've watch on CSM website a Non-EU students is 3 times than a EU student....OMFG!!~

rising star

IlovDiorHomme, i think you should go to CSM website at www.csm.arts.ac.uk. You can find the differences between the courses there.

muxu and jefei, did u guys find any books from the reading list?? i only found the art of looking sideways in the bookstore. it's really think and heavy. i dunno if i'm gonna be able to carry it to london though lol.

29-08-2007
fashion icon

^oh man!! i couldnt find the books here in toronto. even if i did, they were in plastic packages and you have to buy them. the libraries didnt have them and one of the biggest bookstore didnt have them either
i think im just gonna go to london and find them there

ilovediorhomme - put it into simple terms, foundation year is a must if you wanna do BA honours. MA honours is just a higher education that you can take after you are done with BA honours.

mathewthew - yea, the school is a rip off for non-euro students. im a non-euro and it is ****ing ridiculous i have to pay 3 times for the same education european kids get to have for much less money.
but what can you do right? it's not like there are great great schools in north america or asia. even parsons's fee is around the same as CSM, so why bother going to parsons when CSM is much more "prestigous".
i believe alot of the asian students in CSM that actually came from asian countries(and not asian-american or asian-canadian or whatever) must have came from some high profile family. you can be easily studying along side a politician's son or daugther..hehe

so...since my parents are paying for much for me to go to this school, i should just shut up and learn

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint