How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
^hum...from what i experienced and saw. between parsons and csm, they have different type of students they look for. if you are overall very good, getting into both is no problem. csm in my opinion looks for students who are more eccentric, the weirder the better where as parsons is more technical and they care about your grades more.
Believe me, I'd avoid the subject of grades altogether, if I could (at least those I received in high school)... But eccentricity is one skill at which I've never failed.

01-09-2007
backstage pass

So I guess I'm going to apply for a 'Fashion Folio' year ( which is a fashion 'foundation year, right ?) for then applying for BA Honours in Fashion.

I don't know how to make a portoflio ! Can you give me some advices ? Is someone here is in BA honours at CSM ?

02-09-2007
trendsetter

okay first off you're all freaking out way too much you're only going onto foundation, i'd worry when i get there first off about being able to opt for fashion during that course never mind getting into the BA.

school is expensive but then again where isnt? you're paying for the best when you get here. there is no set criteria for portfolio they'll know if they want you and they dont look for wierd eccentric people, not everyone here is a freak i'd say 5% were, 50% are asian (yes there are a lot of international students) and 45% are just regular talented students.

dont waste your money buying books they dont care if you read them or not, just flick through and maybe read more into what catches your eye, what you like.

i know what i'm talking about - i'm in my 3rd year of BA womenswear at CSM (placement year)

02-09-2007
fashion icon

i just worry about doing my best, period.

school in alot of places are definetly not as expensive, especially if you live and have citizenship in that country. canada just happens to not have top fashion schools. hey, i know CSM is even expensive for some lononers, but you try paying triple times the money when you didn't even make those money in pounds.
and because i am indeed paying triple times the money that my parents made in both canadian dollars and chinese yuan, as their daugther, i think i would start to worry about my studies and do the best i can to learn as much as possible and not get flunked to the bottom of the crowd. i know it's 'only' foundation, but it's always to start strong then getting serious at the last minute.

about the books, so you really think there is no point of buying any of them? of course i wont buy all of them on the list, but it's kinda hard to tell whether i ll like a book or not since i dont even know if they are plastic wrapped.
im thinking of buying 'invisible cities' since i had a project in grade 9 that were based on stories from that book. i cant remember a thing about that book other than it talked alot about buildings.

02-09-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM View Post
okay first off you're all freaking out way too much you're only going onto foundation, i'd worry when i get there first off about being able to opt for fashion during that course never mind getting into the BA.

school is expensive but then again where isnt? you're paying for the best when you get here. there is no set criteria for portfolio they'll know if they want you and they dont look for wierd eccentric people, not everyone here is a freak i'd say 5% were, 50% are asian (yes there are a lot of international students) and 45% are just regular talented students.

dont waste your money buying books they dont care if you read them or not, just flick through and maybe read more into what catches your eye, what you like.

i know what i'm talking about - i'm in my 3rd year of BA womenswear at CSM (placement year)

Do you have a Myspace or something like that ? I'd like to chat with you if it doesn't bore you because I'd really like to study at CSM.

04-09-2007
fashion icon

oh man, i sounded so harsh in my last post. sorry victim, for sounding like such an ***, i was in a crappy mood that day.

i know you are saying it to make us feel less pressured. but it's hard not for me to feel pressured. going to a new school, with unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar land....that pressure is really getting to me.
it's hard for me NOT to stress out because there are so many unknowns. whether foundation is importatnt or not, it's still a big deal.

ok...now im just blahing on.

04-09-2007
backstage pass

Can you post here pictures of your porfolio or your work for CSM, please !!!

05-09-2007
fashion icon

^do you mean me? or victim?
i would like to see your work, victim

06-09-2007
backstage pass

Victim, but sorry, I didn't see all your posts, are you at CSM too ? All advices are welcome for me

06-09-2007
fashion icon

yea, im going in the foundation year

07-09-2007
backstage pass

It sounds good for you ! I've added you on Myspace and I saw your pictures, it's just amazing! What did you send to CSM in your portofolio ?

14-09-2007
backstage pass

Nobody can show me pictures of a CSM's portfolio ????
Please

14-09-2007
rising star

well.. I don't know if its the same on the degree course.. but in foundation, lots of people were really protective over their work and reluctant to share their ideas. I guess its because competition is fierce.. though I think sharing and bouncing off ideas with each other is really important. and being in a creative environment with like minded people, you should take advantage of it.
maybe you should try looking on IQONS, I think there are some CSM students on there.

14-09-2007
backstage pass

Sounds bad but I'll check IQONS...
So, I guess competition begins before foundation year

17-09-2007
fashion icon

competition DOES begin with foundation year. there are around 700 students for my year (right now, i started my course today)
and alot of them want to do fashion design (no surprise there).

ilovediorhomme - thank you some of the stuff i send to CSM is on myspace and there are also other stuff that arent posted such as some of life drawings and other artworks.
looking at my portfolio now, i wish i had done some of my recent artworks that time. oh well...

edit: oh! about the portfolio thing. you can see some of the people from my year(foundation)'s artworks on facebook. look for the foundation course at CSM '07

Last edited by MUXU; 17-09-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint