How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-09-2007
backstage pass

I want to apply for the foundation course in 08, so I need to start prepairing a portfolio asap, i'm not in school right now, i'm 18 and working full time, I dont have art gcse, or a level, as i studied business and crap. I was just wondering would it be possible for me to get in, just based on a portfolio, for the foundation course??

MUXU i have loved reading your posts, how was ur first day??

18-09-2007
fashion icon

why thank you diorlover
we are still doing intro week so technically my first real day is next monday.

about your question, i cant answer you because i came from a completely different education system.
but a strong portfolio is probably THE most important thing. that's my own opinion of course, someone else might not think so.

18-09-2007
backstage pass

ok one more question, i'm putting a portfolio together now, and i want to start my foundation year next year, I will be 19, will I be older then eveybody else??

whats the average age of the people doing the foundation course??

and Muxu is it ok, if I add you to my myspace??

rising star

my friend who did textiles said there was a woman who was older than her mum.. but the oldest i knew was like 30 so dont worry. and anyway, they sometimes like mature students, but i dont think you quite meet the 'mature' age haha
most people are 18/19/20 i would say.. its like the first year of uni basically

19-09-2007
backstage pass

i have been thinking of myself as a mature student.........and i'm 18..lol

i'm also worried about getting myself a refrence, I havent done art since i was about 14, i'm working full time, who am i suppose to get a refrence from!!....can i send of my application without a refrence.

backstage pass

also about the portolios, i havent actually completed,.....or event started mine, but I can predict 95% of it will be fashion based, is that ok, if i'm planning to apply for foundation art and design??

scenester

I start at Drama Centre at CSM next Monday

22-09-2007
scenester

omg.. so glad i found this thread that i read 14 pages of it without missing anything * i guess.. lol* soo obsessed about continuing education in csm!

i'm from indonesia, 22y.o *old eh? * going to get bachelor degree next year, n i really want to take MA in csm *i read muxu's post n i drooled. hehehehe so nice to read your post, how you wanted to get in so much n at last you got in!*

i'm taking product design right now but i'm not sure wether i still want to take product design class for MA.. Actually since i was little, i'm more interested about fashion or graphic. but what held me back from taking fashion ba is i can't sew at all. i sux at sewing . but then, i read victim's post that they don't really care whether you can sew or not.. is that true??. n what prevented me from taking graphic is my parents think graphic design is something you can learn by yourself or from short courses quite easily *they paid for my tuition anyway :p"*.. N thats why i picked product design. love it, passionate about it, but just not as much as what i feel about fashion n graphic i guess.

what i want to ask are,

first, is it possible for me who has product design background to apply for MA in fashion or graphic design? How big is the chance to get accepted? what do they judge from MA applicants?
even though i study product design, i got plenty freelance jobs related to graphic, i design my own online boutique website *launched in november-wish me luck >.<~* and also had part time jobs related to graphic.
regarding fashion, i love to make fashion sketches, i often design my own clothes, find the fabric n ask a tailor to sew it for me. i also love fashion journalism, observe styles n trends n so on..
so, shortly, i already have some portfolio related to graphic n fashion too.

second, about applying and sending portfolios, i'm going to take csm's easter class in 2008 *anybody going?*, so i think of applying for MA on the spot instead of sending my application. is few weeks enough for them to process the application n inform me whether i got accepted or not? n how 'high' is the portfolio standard? whats the ratio of accepted applicants to rejected ones?

third, some of you say that csm likes variety n lil bit "eccentric-ism" in portfolio, i wonder how to define variety n eccentric more specifically? like variety means you can do many things (e.g you have photography, digital arts, 3d, fashion, sculpting, etc in ur portfolio) or, you may just have one skill shown (e.g fashion drawings portfolio only) but you have various ideas n style to present it?

last, as we all know the tuition fee for int'l student in csm is veeery high. is it really worth the price? until now i still think it does *like, csm is one of the best design school in d world rite?*, but maybe any of you have different point of view *i read a post here saying he/she hate being in csm*, n can you please tell me why? because i really don't want to spend a lot of money for something i will regret later..

ouch..sorry for the xtra long post
your answer, suggestion, or anything you can think of is highly appreciated! THANKS A LOT guys, this is really a huge matter for me

fashion icon

diorlover - there really is no right answer to how the portfolio is suppose to contain. but my suggestion is to have a wider variety of artworks and not just ALL fashion. but bottom line is, showing who you are is importatnt to them.

tan2 - aw..thank you i must have posted ALOT hehe. i have no idea about MA what so ever so i dont think i can help you much

24-09-2007
Fat Karl

Hi everyone! My dream is to get into CSM, and I'm working on my portfolio now. I'm doing everything I can to get in. Besides a wide ranging portfolio that represents who you are as an artist, would having some industry experience give me an edge? I'm going to take a year off after high school (this is my last year) and I'm hoping to get an internship (my dream would be Rodarte, since I live in Pasadena, which is where they're based) or work at a designer boutique. I've also been a TA for a high school program offered through a local art college. The class is a fashion class and I've helped put on 2 already really good fashion shows and am working on the third as we speak.

Any other tips or hints that would give me an edge in the application process? (I want to get the CSM masters in womenswear)

Thanks!

fashion icon

^i think you have to have some sort of BA degree before you can advance to masters

but they want anyone who is going into BA to take their foundation
i dont see why you should take a year off? you should apply for BA and see if they want you to do foundation or let you go into BA without a foundation. but im pretty sure you cant advance to masters without any creditable BA degree.

25-09-2007
fashion insider

To qualify for a masters at CSM, you have to have a BA or 3 years of industry experience. I'm looking into the MA because I don't want to go through another 2-3 years just to complete my BA. But as they have told me in an email, it all falls down to your portfolio. That's what they weigh the heaviest in terms of whether you can meet the demands of the course.

TWITTER:
25-09-2007
fashion insider

Also, I don't think you'll be considered for an MA degree without SOME undergraduate education. The MA is less than 1 year with Louise Wilson who is pretty intense, so you have to be able to keep up and the best way to know is to go on to a BA program and see how you can out.

TWITTER:
05-10-2007
trendsetter

are you guys in the don gratton house right now?? which core? i am as well!

09-10-2007
fashion icon

im in don gratton, B1D1

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint