How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-07-2006
backstage pass

^ahh, i didn't know what a btec was the equivalent of, thats the 2 year one you do after school right?

19-07-2006
trendsetter

yeah so if you do one of those you still have the opportunity to apply right after that, god knows how i got in my course had nothing to do with fashion i had to make it into fashion

20-07-2006
backstage pass

^you must be good lol!

I had a look at that but i only want a one year course since i've already done the college thing and want to live at home for as short a time as possible lol, course tutor said i could work in the textiles department too so hopefully that will help me lol

20-07-2006
V.I.P.

Omigosh! Thankyou for this amazingly helpful post Ithillien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithillien
They didn't even ask me about my other GCSE's so if they don't ask then don't tell them lol, because i didn't do A-level art at some colleges they were a bit dubious at first as to whether i would commit to it now, but once i told them my reasons and showed them some work they seemed ok with it. Plus A is hardly a bad grade lol
Oh cool! I thought you applied like at any other uni -with all your grades and CV and stuff. What did you say your reasons were? I find questions like 'Why do you want to do this' bizarre. Either you are honest like in this quote from the movie Red Shoes

LERMONTOV (to Victoria Page, at Lady Neston's party): Why do you want to dance?
VICTORIA: Why do you want to live?
LERMONTOV: Why? I don't know exactly why, but -- I must.
VICTORIA: That's my answer too.

Or you bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithillien
I had about 6/7 sketchbooks in all, my GCSE ones (that i seriously think are so so bad, but they like to see how you've developed) and then ones with random stuff i've been doing more recently. I had an interview with some other people and they had done A-level art and had some big peices and absolutly loads of work lol (intimidating) but i still got in, i think they would have liked to see some larger peices alongside sketchbooks but I didn't have any and got in all the places i applied. There were several projects (missing the final peices lol) but i did have some photos of things that i'd done out of clay etc. They like to see work in different medias to show that you can experiment and they like to see development of ideas so i think it would be a good idea to do some projects if you don't have GCSE work on hand. Stuff like artist research and how this has effected your work might be good to include, doing little bits out of their work or interpreting it into your own style, try doing a project on something that interests you, for example i needed some more newer work so i did a collage of pics from when i went to see The White Stripes and then filled all the white space left with song lyrics. Starting from the choosing a word or theme thing would probably be a good idea, just found a question sheet and theres stuff like "illusion" and "ancient cultures" so you could try working from something like that.
This is so so useful I cant tell you. How many of the 7 sketchbooks were GCSE ones? And the ones you have done recently, are they done in your own time or in some sort of course? Basically even though you didn't do A-level art, in between doing GCSE and dropping out of uni to go to art school, was there any more formal art teaching?

Last edited by ChrissyM; 26-08-2009 at 10:40 PM.
22-07-2006
backstage pass

[quote=SiennaInLondon]
Oh cool! I thought you applied like at any other uni -with all your grades and CV and stuff. What did you say your reasons were? I find questions like 'Why do you want to do this' bizarre. Either you are honest like in this quote from the movie Red Shoes

LERMONTOV (to Victoria Page, at Lady Neston's party): Why do you want to dance?
VICTORIA: Why do you want to live?
LERMONTOV: Why? I don't know exactly why, but -- I must.
VICTORIA: That's my answer too.

Or you bullshit. [quote]

I just rang up and spoke to the course tutor, then went in for an interview, i think she might have asked what i did in my a-levels but no grades or anything, i was suprised about that lol. Yeah i hate questions like that too, they seem pointless, i mean im there applying for it so obviously i want to do it, i think i just said something about how i'd realised how much i missed art and it was what i wanted to do. I think the fact i left uni was helpful in showing i was serious lol, i told her about some degree courses i was interested in and she asked me a bit about my fave desingers etc. It seemed really informal to be honest, she spoke about other students work and what kind of stuff they do and basic course content, then commented on my drawing style and said stuff she liked and we had a random chat about music 'cause of the white stripes stuff lol. Its a if you don't know, make it up situation lol.

Quote:
How many of the 7 sketchbooks were GCSE ones? And the ones you have done recently, are they done in your own time or in some sort of course? Basically even though you didn't do A-level art, in between doing GCSE and dropping out of uni to go to art school, was there any more formal art teaching?
4 were GCSE ones, the others were just ones in my own time, i haven't had any proper teaching since school. They wern't full since i have sketchbooks all over the place depending where im staying lol, it was just random sketches, doodles and experiments i was trying to not throw stuff away even if i hated it because my old art teacher used to get really mad when i ripped stuff up lol. I didn't do any projects or anything it was just whatever i felt like drawing at that time, plus i was poor so i only had felt tips, pencil and oil pastels in the newer sketchbooks, suprised i got in lol!

03-08-2006
scenester

Best wishes Ithillien!

V.I.P.

i might think about going to csm...im not sure about it though

04-08-2006
trendsetter

i recomend applying i love everything about the school i cant imagine going anywhere else!

04-08-2006
V.I.P.

^ i would love to go when im older...its my dream...im not sure which course i would do yet...im hoping to explore over the next few days :p

any recommendations VICTIM ?

04-08-2006
trendsetter

erm well i'm doing the BA hons in fashion (womens) and i plan to to the MA after (i'm working on getting on the right side of louise wilson lol) they're like the main 2 fashion courses, they say its like one of the hardest courses to get on in the industry but it cant be that hard if i got in its good because the school has an AMAIZING alumni and great contacts for work experience and its cool because its flexible which means i get to do the fashion thing, model for financial reasons (even though its really fun too) and go out at night.
the school does have a reputation for snotty students and harsh tutors but if you cant hack it now you'll never be able to hack it in industry.

if you wanna know anything else just ask or pm me or something

04-08-2006
fashion elite

Anyone know if it's a good school for fine or graphic arts? I love fashion, but do not wish to pursue it in school!

04-08-2006
trendsetter

^i'm pretty sure its good for fine art, i think its pretty well known for fine art aswell as fashion but other schools linked to saint martins are well know for that kind of stuff, chelsea and camberwell are better know for that side of things

04-08-2006
fashion elite

A silly question I know, but let's say if I want to get into csm to study women's wear, but I have no qualifications in textiles (my father thought of textiles and being a tailor as a menial and lowly way of life and never allowed me to take it) and but I am well read on textile books and know all the technical know-how and I bring along many example/portfolio clothes pieces and I have a GCSE (A) and A-Level (A) in art, would they let me in?

04-08-2006
trendsetter

^you dont have the right qualifications to do a fashion course yet; you'll need to do a foundation in art and design or equivalent first

04-08-2006
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM
^you dont have the right qualifications to do a fashion course yet; you'll need to do a foundation in art and design or equivalent first
i just wanted to say congratulations with your new job in the CSM admin office, you're doing great so far

i can think of some reasons why people might not like it there....
WW- witch b*tch
DK- bad taste tranny
SF- the devil wears primark (denim)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint