How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
01-12-2007
  301
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
He also said that my experience at parsons was a great way to continue in CSM because the two school have similarities, so he really had no choice but to offer me a place on the 2nd year or not at all. The USA representative told me afterward that it's very rare that a student gets in on the 2nd year due to space issues and also because they haven't seen work that merits that kind of placement.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
 
01-12-2007
  302
fashion icon
 
Starry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,036
Hey, guys. I'm planning to go to CSM to get my MA degree of fashion journalism. Does that also require 2-3 years experience, too?
Can somenone give me more specific information about this major and the qualification I should have?
Thanks in advance!

  Reply With Quote
01-12-2007
  303
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry View Post
Hey, guys. I'm planning to go to CSM to get my MA degree of fashion journalism. Does that also require 2-3 years experience, too?
Can somenone give me more specific information about this major and the qualification I should have?
Thanks in advance!

ALL MA programs require a prior degree or SERIOUS experience in the field you want to be in. You should contact the office and find out but I know they have info on the website.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
02-12-2007
  304
fashion icon
 
MUXU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LDN
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,060
educo - wow you got alot of experience already!
so why didnt you apply for MA instead of doing another BA?
what kind of short courses did you take at CSM? im thinking about taking short courses at LCF for skills.

  Reply With Quote
02-12-2007
  305
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
educo - wow you got alot of experience already!
so why didnt you apply for MA instead of doing another BA?
what kind of short courses did you take at CSM? im thinking about taking short courses at LCF for skills.
yeah i do have alot of experience, but i don't have a BA. I have an Associates from Parsons. My teachers at parsons and the interviewer from CSM didn't think I needed school, but you want to have something to show for it you know. Anyway, i intended to apply for the MA, but they told me that I was too young. The MA only gives 3 places away to international student per year which is why they really prefer someone who has a lot more industry experience in addition to a degree. The MA is the place where you show what you learned during a research project. You don't really learn new skills. So that's why the USA representative thought I was too young to apply. So she recommended the BA. She did hint at advanced placement, but didn't make promises because they rarely happen.

I took strictly design courses as CSM, I knew about the technical stuff. When I went back home, I went to FIT to learn MORE technical stuff.
I went to Parsons because I knew it would better my chances at getting into CSM, because they are both hard to get into and hard to keep up with. If i didn't get into CSM, I could continue with Parsons and go to CSM through the exchange program, because CSM and Parsons have that arrangement. So either way, it works out, but I wanted to end it having a degree from CSM.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
02-12-2007
  306
backstage pass
 
Diorlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
yeah i do have alot of experience, but i don't have a BA. I have an Associates from Parsons. My teachers at parsons and the interviewer from CSM didn't think I needed school, but you want to have something to show for it you know. Anyway, i intended to apply for the MA, but they told me that I was too young. The MA only gives 3 places away to international student per year which is why they really prefer someone who has a lot more industry experience in addition to a degree. The MA is the place where you show what you learned during a research project. You don't really learn new skills. So that's why the USA representative thought I was too young to apply. So she recommended the BA. She did hint at advanced placement, but didn't make promises because they rarely happen.
Can I ask how old you are, with a degree you can usually do a MA at 21/22.

I dont have any experience i'm planning to apply to fashion folio this year, still decididng between LCF or CSM. Anyone here done the fashion folio at CSM i've been put of a little, because they charge like a grand more then LCF and I want to know if they are worth the extra money.

__________________
*Sheila*Bruna*Marija*
  Reply With Quote
02-12-2007
  307
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorlover View Post
Can I ask how old you are, with a degree you can usually do a MA at 21/22.

I dont have any experience i'm planning to apply to fashion folio this year, still decididng between LCF or CSM. Anyone here done the fashion folio at CSM i've been put of a little, because they charge like a grand more then LCF and I want to know if they are worth the extra money.
Actually I'm 25, but I was told the average age for MA is around 28/29. She explained that getting an MA at CSM is not like the US where you can go straight to the MA after getting a BA, since it's a long term research project where you are working on one thing, they want you to be sure of what you want to focus on for the year. So they feel that experience in the industry will give you an idea because you have been able to see how the industry works and make your own observations.

I took a short course with the teacher who taught Fashion Folio at CSM and we had some words at the end of the course. I felt she she was only helpful to her "favorite students" and neglected the others and I spoke up about that and she wasn't too pleased with me.

Honestly, I'd take folio at LCF since they do focus on the technical aspects. I think showing that you can make the clothing that designed will give you a leg up against the others when applying to CSM.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
02-12-2007
  308
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5
sorry if i missed any posts about this earlier in the thread, but are there any opinions about the curation, criticism, and communication course at csm ?

  Reply With Quote
03-12-2007
  309
front row
 
superbeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: D.C
Gender: femme
Posts: 338
Well I'm a senior in high school so I'll be starting fresh with no college experience. I thought about csm, since I love London, but I don't think I'll be able to go that far.
I'm sure I'm going to new york for an interview for Parsons. I hope I can show them my fine arts, defend it,and then hopefully they can see how much I want to attend their school. F.I.T focuses more on the marketing aspects and making clothes that can sell, while Parsons is more avant garde, which is what I want.

Do you have any info on transfering into csm?

  Reply With Quote
03-12-2007
  310
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbeautiful View Post
Well I'm a senior in high school so I'll be starting fresh with no college experience. I thought about csm, since I love London, but I don't think I'll be able to go that far.
I'm sure I'm going to new york for an interview for Parsons. I hope I can show them my fine arts, defend it,and then hopefully they can see how much I want to attend their school. F.I.T focuses more on the marketing aspects and making clothes that can sell, while Parsons is more avant garde, which is what I want.

Do you have any info on transfering into csm?
I didn't transfer to CSM, I applied, and I got advanced placement. I was told my time at Parsons was a good start and he liked my work.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
04-12-2007
  311
backstage pass
 
Diorlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
Actually I'm 25, but I was told the average age for MA is around 28/29. She explained that getting an MA at CSM is not like the US where you can go straight to the MA after getting a BA, since it's a long term research project where you are working on one thing, they want you to be sure of what you want to focus on for the year. So they feel that experience in the industry will give you an idea because you have been able to see how the industry works and make your own observations.

I took a short course with the teacher who taught Fashion Folio at CSM and we had some words at the end of the course. I felt she she was only helpful to her "favorite students" and neglected the others and I spoke up about that and she wasn't too pleased with me.

Honestly, I'd take folio at LCF since they do focus on the technical aspects. I think showing that you can make the clothing that designed will give you a leg up against the others when applying to CSM.
28/29....I can believe that, since most people i know go to fashion after they have tried some other career path.

The fashion folio tecaher doesnt seem nice, I probably will end up doing the course at LCF, it bugs me how CSM charge like double of what LCF charge.

__________________
*Sheila*Bruna*Marija*
  Reply With Quote
04-12-2007
  312
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorlover View Post
28/29....I can believe that, since most people i know go to fashion after they have tried some other career path.

The fashion folio tecaher doesnt seem nice, I probably will end up doing the course at LCF, it bugs me how CSM charge like double of what LCF charge.
Yeah, that's what she was saying, the MA is really for those who have been in the industry for a while.

The Fashion Folio teacher is not nice and not really helpful either, so I'd totally go to LCF. It's cheaper and I think you'll learn more. I took a fashion design workshop at LCf for 2 months and it was one of the best deisgn educations I ever had. The teacher grauduated from CSM and he was really cool and nice and helpful. I think his name was Scott, he did menswear in Italy when I took the class with him.

I understand the price issue, I'm going to be paying 3x the amount!!

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2007
  313
front row
 
uberQuirkiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 416
wow educo! i want to go to csm, but i'm in parsons right now. i was going to apply for the ba program at csm next year (so a transfer, basically) if i dont get in, i'm thinking about doing the exchange program!!! any advice? thanks!

  Reply With Quote
06-12-2007
  314
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberQuirkiness View Post
wow educo! i want to go to csm, but i'm in parsons right now. i was going to apply for the ba program at csm next year (so a transfer, basically) if i dont get in, i'm thinking about doing the exchange program!!! any advice? thanks!
You can't simply TRANSFER to CSM. They will take into account what you have done in the past and offer you what they think is right. I was not expecting to get in the 2nd year. I was expecting to start all over again without a foundation but the interviewer thought otherwise.

It is a smart move to see what you can do with the exchange program because in essense you're not paying the same fees. I think you're paying Parsons fees for up to a year education at CSM. Also, since it's all tacked onto your Parsons bill, you have more options with scholarships, grants, etc.

I would look into both options and contact the US representative for the London Institute. Her name is Joesphine and she's really sweet. Ask her about portfolio review dates and she will let you know when those are happening around the US.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
  Reply With Quote
07-12-2007
  315
front row
 
uberQuirkiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 416
thanks a lot! karma
yeah..i was going to apply for the BA program. i'm going to put some stuff from parsons into my portfolio, and do some more things over the winter break.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.