How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-04-2008
fashion icon

why are you applying to BA, cameron? you are good enough to apply to MA
i love your designs! i plan on doing men's wear too, but im taking bespoke tailoring instead of men's wear design.
you can basically skip all 3 years of BA.
i went through the BA interview through compact scheme which is are two weeks for UAL students to apply within the university. we didnt get face to face interview. we just left our portfolios in a room and come back a day later and hear whether or not we got accepted.

im sure they can allow you to skip first year since you already know how to cut and tailor. but as a personal opinion, why not ask them if you can apply to MA instead.

13-04-2008
trendsetter

you have to have relevant industry experience or a degree already before you apply for MA - I would ask about that first maybe?

you're being interviewed by CSM alumni they have done the fashion course already so they know what its about they just chose not to become designers after

your portfolio is good, you look technically able which will help you a lot, i think the BA is a good course it gives you a lot of time to develop.

you do go in at 9 drop your portfolio and then they decide whether to interview you or not.

if you do get an interview they ask you (well they did in my case) to pick 2 pieces of work from your portfolio and then talk about it, a conversation is likely to get going about designers you admire ect.

Last edited by VICTIM; 13-04-2008 at 10:50 AM.
14-04-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronFoden View Post
I have my interview for menswear BA next week. Having it with Will Broome & DebbieCook.
Found their portfolio's:
http://www.murrayarthur.co.uk/illust...portfolio.html
http://www.debbiecook.co.uk/

Why am i being interviewed by graphic designers?

Can someone explain to me how the whole interview day goes?

I've heard you go in at 9am. Hand over your portfolio. Bugger off. Then they call you back to either pick up your portfolio (cheers) or have an interview.

Then I've heard you have a group interview first where they ask you things like "Who is your favorite designer and why etc" then they ask the ones who they like to have a one on one thing.

Is the first year very very basic? Like, "this is a machine" and "now we're going to get you to think outside the box. Now draw a picture with your eyes closed without lifting your pen."

If so is it possible to bypass the bureaucratic nonsense and get straight into second year and menswear?

Please have a look at my portfolio (www.cameronfoden.com) and tell me, am i going to hate being first year?

Or does the college REALLY want you go through the indoctrination (you'll learn the invaluable lessons and skills that you just cannot catch up later) of the first year and another 10,400.

I'm not being negative at all. I've left everything I've ever known to come study here. It's just hard when you have to pay for it all yourself.

Thanks guys (sorry, that's quite a few questions)
You have an amazing portfolio. You would definitely get into second year with that. I would ask about the possibilities of MA, you never know, but as VICTIM has said, the MA is suited for those who have spend considerable time in the industry. I was interviewed by a Graphic Designer, so don't worry about that. They know what CSM is looking for and that's what matters. You should look through this thread for my experience it has been explained. Also, you'll find why I was pushed to do the BA instead of the MA. Good luck! You'll get in.

windowshopping

So I'm an American student, possibly attending CSM in the fall
Does anyone know if I have to take the English Program during the summer? I mean, I think I'm just over-analyzing everything but they did send me a packet about it and I got so confused! Any help is much appreciated

25-04-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by withlove32 View Post
So I'm an American student, possibly attending CSM in the fall
Does anyone know if I have to take the English Program during the summer? I mean, I think I'm just over-analyzing everything but they did send me a packet about it and I got so confused! Any help is much appreciated

The English program are for international students who don't know English that well, since you're American, there shouldn't be a problem, so the program isn't necessary.

windowshopping

Ah, big relief. I got into menswear BA today. Got interviewed by two lecturers from menswear. They were very critical of my work, but that’s brilliant and why I’ve come halfway across the world. Was a good interview. So intimidated not even going to peep about second year possibilities. Just want the year to start now.

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

^^ critical **** .. what did they say .. if you dont mind me asking ?? only curious cos im findign it hard to find fault

26-04-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Ah, big relief. I got into menswear BA today. Got interviewed by two lecturers from menswear. They were very critical of my work, but that’s brilliant and why I’ve come halfway across the world. Was a good interview. So intimidated not even going to peep about second year possibilities. Just want the year to start now.
So, are you starting year 1 or year 2? Congrats!!! I knew you'd get in!

windowshopping

Starting in first year. They said my trousers were weak, which is fine because I never felt they're as important to a man's casual wardrobe as jackets are. Men buy five-pocket jeans and flat fronted trousers. Crazy fashion kids buy drop-crotch trousers with gathered pleats with panels and straps. I told them that I see men’s jackets as the female-dress equivalent and they’re the garment you can make the most profit off. All fashion is just a mirage to sell perfume and sunglasses anyway.
Then they said they wanted to see more mood-boards and look-books. I got across that as I started my own label without training that certain aspects of the design process became heavily marginalized, namely, that I was too busy making clothes to be worrying myself with pretty collages and tearing pages from magazines. They weren’t interested and asked me if I can be ‘un-taught and re-taught’. Wasn’t sure what to say to that, as I figured it was a ‘final judgment’ question, so I said, “That’s why I’ve traveled halfway across the world.” Which they liked and then offered me a position.

It kind of irritated me for a bit afterwards.
I do hope that dissidence and self-confidence is praised here. At the end of the day, within an industry so fickle, where conflicting opinions are a constant, a college run with dictator-like guidelines and ideologies is quite a terrifying prospect. We’ll see. Perhaps as in most tertiary education systems, you only have a voice once you get to your masters and doctorate.

They also said they weren’t interested in my any of the shoots, and they wanted to see a lot more life-drawing. Which is fine. I have neglected my life drawing.

Another question: How many students are in each class? (womenswear, menswear, fashion design with marketing, etc)

28-04-2008
windowshopping

I feel like I have the silliest questions, but does anyone know exactly what has to be paid in full before I start my course? Tuition for sure, but for housing, is that monthly?

29-04-2008
fashion insider

^^ Some places have instalements, some don't.

rising star

Quote:
I do hope that dissidence and self-confidence is praised here. At the end of the day, within an industry so fickle, where conflicting opinions are a constant, a college run with dictator-like guidelines and ideologies is quite a terrifying prospect. We’ll see. Perhaps as in most tertiary education systems, you only have a voice once you get to your masters and doctorate.
hi, i recently had an interview for BA Fashion Communication and i'm waiting to hear back. I read that part of the criteria for acceptance is your ability to take criticism, but I don't think that when you're actually there that they try and break you down a lot, it's just a test of what you can take, because out in the industry you're more likely to hear negatives than positives! But your work is incredibly strong and I hope you do really well!

03-05-2008
scenester

Will Broome's basically a Fashion Print designer... he works for Marc Jacobs blah....
tutor of *fashion pathway* in CSM's foundation and some BA courses

2 classes for womenswear, approx. 60-80?
for menswear, fashion print, FDM and knitwear should be 30-40 ppl each

fashion insider

Anybody knows what the costs a year are??
And I'm wondering too what a portfolio is.
Please, anybody knows?

Thank you.

04-05-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
Anybody knows what the costs a year are??
And I'm wondering too what a portfolio is.
Please, anybody knows?

Thank you.
Tuition fees are on the website as far as I can see http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint