How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesterday View Post
hey, i'm having my interview on the 6th o march or BA Womenswear at Central Saint Martins.
Anybody has any idea if they are look or focused jobs or experimentation?
I mean, all my works have nothing in common, I try to challenge myself to do things completely different each time, do you think they'll appreciate that? Or they prefer someone with a clear way of doing stuff?

would be nice to hear some opinions
thanx
xxx
some clarity in your way of working is probably ideal, as with each project you'll have to produce coherent research/sketch/development books and illustrations to back up your final pieces.
but in regards to pieces you make, i don't think you have to have a common theme among your work, i mean, CSM prides itself on encouraging experimentation and individual development.

22-02-2009
windowshopping

thanks, that was really helpful. i do think I'm good at researching / sketching but my illustrations don't look that good after all.
i've been working 1 year and half for that interview, but still, wether i'm in or out, it was really worth it
r u on BA?

xxx

22-02-2009
windowshopping

by the way, i've been thinking in adding some pictures that some popular spanish photographers did to me, maybe as a way of presenting myself, some of them are really weird stuff, but I love them and at least it shows i've been in contact with photography appart from doing mine. But in the end they could think it's quite egocentric... and it's not, i love that pictures.
what about print work if i'm going for womenswear?

thankx againxxx

23-02-2009
windowshopping

I've just been accepted onto CSM's foundation year and was wondering if there was anybody with some first hand experience?

What should I expect and did you enjoy it it etc.

I'm trying to decide wether to go to CSM or Kingston Uni (which is nearer where i live). I really want to go to CSM because i want to get into London and am hoping to move there for my degree course.

decisions though :/

23-02-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by qual View Post
some clarity in your way of working is probably ideal, as with each project you'll have to produce coherent research/sketch/development books and illustrations to back up your final pieces.
but in regards to pieces you make, i don't think you have to have a common theme among your work, i mean, CSM prides itself on encouraging experimentation and individual development.
My portfolio is based around a single object and developed from that point visually + conceptually with absolutely no random artwork thrown in.This is pretty enforced in the top colleges where I live and so I had to comply even though CSM is my top choice.

So at least me and 'polyesterday' will have really different portfolios and Id imagine they like that.You would get bored looking at the same layout all the time.

Have to send in my statement just waiting for my tutor too add the reference(hurrryy up!).Now im anxious that people are already being called...

23-02-2009
windowshopping

yes, i've been told they look for totally individual ways of doing things when taking students. For example, if a class has 25 students, they want 25 totally different visions of the same thing, so everyone can develop individually as learning from others work. I think that's great. My porfolio contains some serious collections coming from architecture and fish skeletons and so on... and other more playful projects where i really played with shapes and colour and pushed forward a more "childlike" vision of fashion. eventually, It's all about experimenting.

Good luck to all applicants. My first option is Womenswear.

23-02-2009
backstage pass

http://courses.csm.arts.ac.uk/london...sp?MA=3&CAT=17

...WAANTS!!

24-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesterday View Post
yes, i've been told they look for totally individual ways of doing things when taking students. For example, if a class has 25 students, they want 25 totally different visions of the same thing, so everyone can develop individually as learning from others work. I think that's great. My porfolio contains some serious collections coming from architecture and fish skeletons and so on... and other more playful projects where i really played with shapes and colour and pushed forward a more "childlike" vision of fashion. eventually, It's all about experimenting.

Good luck to all applicants. My first option is Womenswear.
Yes I'm on the BA FCP course.
Good luck!

24-02-2009
front row

btw i had my interview like a week ago...and the representative said that b.a womenswear pathway is now officially closed..they are not accepting anymore student applications...and they only have about 30 international seats... doesnt that just suck!!

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by birth.of.mode View Post
btw i had my interview like a week ago...and the representative said that b.a womenswear pathway is now officially closed..they are not accepting anymore student applications...and they only have about 30 international seats... doesnt that just suck!!
Just to clarify, its still open for 'home' students.
I remember last year they closed it early for international students. 30 is quite a lot really for one pathway, double that amount of students will get a place if its anything like my year.

24-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamess View Post
Just to clarify, its still open for 'home' students.
I remember last year they closed it early for international students. 30 is quite a lot really for one pathway, double that amount of students will get a place if its anything like my year.

yeah, this year there's about 60-90 on Womenswear and more than 30 are international, i think really it's a good thing if they open it up to more home students this year.
FCP used to consist of about 12 students alltogether, our year now has 23, and this year they're letting on about 30!

25-02-2009
front row

hey, can someone post some info about the costs of studying there? I need as much help as you can provide, thanks in advance!

25-02-2009
trendsetter

There really is a lot of great advice on this thread. I am a junior in high school (in the US) and I am considering applying to Central Saint Martins my senior year.

I have some questions though.

1. In their tuition fees and costs, does the 8,000 pounds per year refer to room and board? I assume they mean costs for dorms and meals, but the wording could mean costs to just live in London

Quote:
As a guideline, we estimate that you will need a minimum of 8,000 per year in living expenses; this is in addition to your tuition fees. This includes accommodation, food and local travel but of course this will vary according to your lifestyle.
2. When is the international student portfolio deadline for the foundation studies in art and design course? On the website, I do not see a specific date listed. The interview is March 31 for my city, so would it be best to submit a portfolio before the interview?

3. If you get into CSM, do you take your foundation classes in the first year, and then apply for the BA Honours Fashion course towards the end of the first year for next year?

4. Do I still have to take the IELTS test and the TOEFL test even though I am fluent in English? The site says that: We strongly advise international applicants to take an IELTS test as soon as they consider studying in the UK.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by Avant Garde; 25-02-2009 at 08:04 PM.
26-02-2009
scenester

Found out on Monday that I got onto the BA Womenswear course through the CSM compact scheme- am so relieved!

26-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant Garde View Post
There really is a lot of great advice on this thread. I am a junior in high school (in the US) and I am considering applying to Central Saint Martins my senior year.

I have some questions though.

1. In their tuition fees and costs, does the 8,000 pounds per year refer to room and board? I assume they mean costs for dorms and meals, but the wording could mean costs to just live in London

3. If you get into CSM, do you take your foundation classes in the first year, and then apply for the BA Honours Fashion course towards the end of the first year for next year?

Thank you for any help!
My maintenance fee for Halls of Residence is around 6,200 a year, this is NOT including Oyster cards (for travel around London, about 67 a month!) and food. So yeah, I can imagine around 8000 being realistic for a year, slightly more if you take into account the materials you will need, too!
London is very expensive, not by items really, but just going out, getting around and doing your work racks up in costs!
Totally worth it though!

Foundation courses are applied for separately, usually when a student has no real Art or Design, higher education grade to speak of.
If you have an Art/Design/Fashion grade already, chances are you won't need to do foundation as they only teach you the basics of design there.
I never took a Foundation, I came from 2 years of graphic design education, onto a Fashion course there.
If you do Foundation, yes you apply through what is called Compact, around now it's happening as some of my friends are doing it, you basically get interviews within UAL uni's before those not in Foundation and from outside applications get a chance.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint