How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-05-2009
front row

Is CSM a good/decent technical school for fashion?

18-06-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous View Post
I just got accepted for that course with only 3 predicted A grades, 2 in history and psychology so I'm sure you will be fine. I'm so excited it sounds really cool!
^^^ yes! they're some pretty useful things to be clever in!

thanx fro replying!
another quick question, what are the career prospects when doing the history and theory course, are they similar to that of a journalist, or do most graduates go into teaching or something like that?

18-06-2009
windowshopping

^ (oh btw, i meant to quote the '^^^ yes! they're some useful things...' part haha so im not big headed pple lol i didnt jst compliment myself)
anyways...

18-06-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjacobslove View Post
Is CSM a good/decent technical school for fashion?
i would say itīs one of the best in europe.

windowshopping

I don't know if this has been asked, but does the MA program focus greatly on grades from your BFA? I know the art is the most important, but I'm curious to how much they're taken into consideration..

Thank you!

19-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdorian View Post
i would say itīs one of the best in europe.
I would have answered differently...unless I am misunderstanding the term "technical". From what I understand there are technicians that do the sewing at CSM. So if the poster is looking for a technical school that will teach that stuff I don't think CSM is the school. CSM is more on the arts side than the technical side, right? Teaching to design and manage design teams more than construct with a heavy empasis on art. Correct me if I'm wrong please but this has always been my understanding.

School's known for the high-level of technical skills of their graduates would be London College of Fashion, Royal Academy of Antwerp, the CSM Master classes in Patternmaking, Syndicate Royale in Paris and the Japanese school I can not remember right now. I'm sure others as well but those are the ones I am familiar with.

19-06-2009
front row

Whaat? there are technicians that do the sewing of your projects??? Are you serious??

Oh, and i think you mean Bunka Fashion College.

19-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Andrea_ View Post
Whaat? there are technicians that do the sewing of your projects??? Are you serious??

Oh, and i think you mean Bunka Fashion College.
Ya! Bunka, that's it

As for CSM, like I said correct me if I'm wrong. I have not been to the school and only know people that have applied, not gone. But I have read on here more than once that there are technicians available to help students and even that London College students have been hired as technicians. Of course searching and searching I can only find one thread from 4 years ago but I know I read one about London College students as well.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...tml#post587304
(#366)

If this is incorrect I would love to know because it means I've somehow believed something that is wrong for quite some time!

24-06-2009
fashion icon

there are technicians at csm and lcf, but they are only there to help the students when they cant do something properly and their tutor is not there. they dont actually sew things for you...

i dont believe csm is very technical neither.

05-07-2009
windowshopping

still stubborn ;)
hi everyone in here!

I coursed fashion folio in Central Saint Martins from september 08 to March 09, applied for womenswear and got rejected because of the lack of creativity this course has to offer (I'm serious don't do it). Still... I decided to stick to my beliefs and stay in London, however, parents help with money is over until I get a place in a BA.

My question is...
Do you think it is still a suitable way to get in if I just intern somewhere (which i'm doing right now) and re-do my porfolio on my own for next year's interviews...? having in mind I did my foundation back in my country in 2007 plus the fashion folio thing in 2008 so I think I quite have the necessary skills to build a porfolio on my own and my new "boss" is letting me construct some garments in his atelier. Still, i'm spending the last bit of money I saved to join a fashion sketchbook course in august and a fashion surgery course later on.

Just asking, would be really helpful if anyone could explain and would be super if someone got a place that way and could guide me a bit...
Please Pvt me as I don't use to follow the thread.

THANKS A LOT!
xxx

06-07-2009
scenester

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a fashion history programme or course at CSM. and if it is, how do I apply?

11-07-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLY ASTERA View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a fashion history programme or course at CSM. and if it is, how do I apply?
Yes there's a BA (Hons) FHT: Fashion History & Theory course at CSM.
''Fashion History and Theory - analyses Western Fashion as image, object and text from the Renaissance to the present day.''

Look it up on the school website as how to apply, or email them,
I'm not sure for people outside the UK.

17-07-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormoon View Post
^^^ yes! they're some pretty useful things to be clever in!

thanx fro replying!
another quick question, what are the career prospects when doing the history and theory course, are they similar to that of a journalist, or do most graduates go into teaching or something like that?
thats exactly what i'd like to know as i'm interested in applying for this course-but only if it will help me in my direction towards fashion journalism!!

17-07-2009
front row

Can anyone explain this

there's a BA (Hons) FHT: Fashion History & Theory course at CSM.
''Fashion History and Theory - analyses Western Fashion as image, object and text from the Renaissance to the present day.''

I've emailed and called. and got on reply.
does it relate to journalism(fashion) at all???xx

17-07-2009
Fat Karl

I'm heading off to Parson's in the next couple of weeks. I would, however, eventually like to wind up at CSM.

Is is possible to transfer to CSM for the Master's program? I was also thinking that maybe I should graduate with my BFA at Parson's and then just apply to CSM for Master's...is that possible?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint