How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-08-2009
fashion insider

Zac Posen didn't make it past foundation

TWITTER:

08-08-2009
rising star

Haha, feel free to tell Wiki.

09-08-2009
scenester

It doesn't really matter if he still went there. Though it probably should note if he never graduated.

fashion insider

I have seen him speak many times and he admits he never finished. Oh well, who cares...

TWITTER:
10-08-2009
rising star

Too many kids mistake being on foundation for BA...attitude wise;
theres a biiiig difference.

11-08-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
I have taken the very long beginner's designer course with the same teacher for the Fashion Folio (I think her name was Rosenthal). Anyway, I was not impressed with this woman's teaching. She seemed to favor her personal favorites and wasn't much help to others. She didn't seem eager to answer questions, which i thought was very discouraging to the many students that had them. After the class was over, we all went out and talked about how bad she was as a teacher. This was a few years ago, so maybe she has changed. I heard the fashion foundation at LCF is better than CSM because they teach you design along with construction which will give you an edge when you do apply for CSM. Plus, it's cheaper, I think. I took a long beginner's design course at LCF (and it was shorter, just 8 weeks) and it was the difference between night and day. The teachings from that course along with my Parsons education, I felt, got my acceptance at CSM.
I really agree with you. I took 2 terms of Fashion Folio in 2007 and I wish I didn't take the second one... That would be almost enough to pay for a foundation course. But I felt so much pressure from the tutor. It felt like there was no other way of getting in but paying for her courses. I also had a feeling that I was paying rent rather than tuition fees Because it was my first fashion course, I came from a different background, it was my first impression too and it put me off CSM!! Can you believe it I thought that that's what it really was like!!! Then I went on a short course with Margaret Campbell whom I reeeeely recommend and saw what CSM was really all about. The change of venue helped too! Sitting in that room the whole day in Charing Cross wasn't much fun and it felt so remote from the outside world! The Southampton Row building is great though, you can see a lot more of students work, there is so much more life there... Now I am putting a portfolio together on my own and I am now using any of Fashion Folio stuff. It was a good learning curve, I just wish it didn't cost me as much!!!

11-08-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres-fabuleux View Post
Does anybody have any idea if its necessary to take all 3 fashion folio courses?
It is not really. My friend got in with just two. And maybe even one would be enough if you can work on your portfolio independently. I took two term but the second on e was really just more of the same. Though I am not sure if gives you some advantage over people coming from outside if you did the last one... Not sure about it...

12-08-2009
front row

Has anyone done one of those spring or summer short courses?

13-08-2009
backstage pass

I have, I took the fashion drawing and fashion journalism courses they were both great! I learned a lot

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jibrielle* View Post
I have, I took the fashion drawing and fashion journalism courses they were both great! I learned a lot
Thank you how was the fashion journalism? im quite interested in that one

14-08-2009
backstage pass

It was great! I loved it, my professor was Hywel Davies. I learned a lot from him from making interviews, to catwalk reporting, to how magazines work and so much more!

I am half-sick of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynines View Post
Thank you how was the fashion journalism? im quite interested in that one
I took this course as well. It's good...a lot of fun...but, towards the end the instructor told us that the only way to get work is through connections...which made it seem pretty pointless for them to offer the course, or for anyone to take it.

14-08-2009
?

I'm considering taking the 'fact or fiction' short course in creative writing next spring, it seems interesting but I was unsure of whether or not CSM's short courses are any good.
So glad to hear that at least the fashion journalism one is!

backstage pass

when did you take it?

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by qual View Post
There's not a strictly fashion journalism course, but FCP combines fashion writing with communication and promotion, as well as fashion history.
It's a pretty good way in to doing anything that side of fashion.
thanks everyone for the help, you know on the Fashion BA honours course page it says there are two pathways. Fashion History & Theory and Fashion Communications.

Does anyone know if you have to have a Foundation for these courses, it says to apply for the FASHION BA HONOURS in which it is included in, you do...

also according to rumours, is St martins just full of artistic types, no straight guys etc..

just asking what i've heard, not my opinion!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint