How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2009
windowshopping

"I'm considering taking the 'fact or fiction' short course" its FACTION! ;p

16-09-2009
windowshopping

i'm really wishing to get into csm but i'm 20 it's making me really nervous that i will be the oldest one in there Does anyone know is there will be people at my age ?? pls answer me ... thnk you

16-09-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlly View Post
i'm really wishing to get into csm but i'm 20 it's making me really nervous that i will be the oldest one in there Does anyone know is there will be people at my age ?? pls answer me ... thnk you
Don't worry about it. Most of the people have done a foundation year and the ages range from 18 - 21. Don't let your age stop you from applying.

17-09-2009
windowshopping

I just want to know if anyone has the same experience as me...

I had an interview in April but was told that I needed to send in more project in September (the course starts in November). Who thinks that this is a good thing??? should I be expecting the worst or...?

And also, is anyone starting in November?

I applied for the MA fashion course...

thanks so much for answering!!!

29-09-2009
windowshopping

Well, after reading all 53 pages of this post I can not thank everyone enough for going through everything they have gone through and have helped people along the way! You guys are seriously great, so willing to help.

I have my interview for CSM on November 14th in NYC. I am HOPING to get in for BA Womenswear. I am seriously HOPING AND PRAYING. Let me give you a little background on my self before I ask questions.

Okay, Well Hey I'm Marc Sebastian I am currently 18 (turning 19 on Nov1) and I am in my Second year, studying Fashion Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology here in NYC. I have been planning on getting my AAS here but not my BFA, I just really don't feel FIT is a great school to get a BFA at. Now, I have been told my construction skills are impressive for a second year but that my art skills are just kinda average. Not average in a bad way, average in a "your work is great but we'd like to see something new". I can draw and have great ideas. My clothing tends to be wearable but with conceptual elements. What I lack in art I make up in accomplishments, work experience and studying abroad. I won the "Best Designer at FIT" and the "Fusion Award" at the 2009 Fusion Fashion show, if you dont know what Fusion is--its basically a fashion show between FIT and Parsons, 15 designes from each school show a collection and winners and a best overall school got choosen, I was this years winner. My show can be seen here--(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS3rCg6ovqg). I have also interned at the following places --Christian Siriano (May-September), Peter Som (September-January), Marc by Marc Jacobs (January to May), Proenza Schouler (May-July) and will finish an internship up at Daniel Vosovic in December. I am also going to be studying abroad in Florence, Italy next semester.

Now that all that stuff is over with, what I am asking is What my chances are at getting in? I do not want to do a foundation year. I think that I have learned enough through FIT and other art classes to surpass this.

So my problem is this, I have my interview in roughly 1 and a half months, I have a strong portfolio, and an even stronger resume but my portfolio lacks fine art. I am worried they will not see me as a conceptual designer but more of a RTW designer (which I think I want to do). I want to attend CSM not only to gain experience from a world renowned college but also to force the conceptual designer that is hiding in me, out. I am looking for any advice so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help a boy out and Thank you again for everything.

29-09-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qual View Post
Yes, yes she did, as well as:

Christopher Kane (Fashion Designer)
Annie Kevans (Artist)
Tom Karen (Industrial Designer)
Leon Kossoff (Painter)
Sophia Kokosalaki (Fashion Designer)
Dimitri Launder (Artist)
Ben Lee (Art Director and Graphic Designer)
Denys Lasdun (Architect)
David Leland (Director, Screenwriter and Actor)
Frank Leder (Fashion Designer)
Mike Leigh (Film Director)
Cathy Lomax (Artist and Gallery Director)
Richard Long (Artist and 1989 Turner Prize Winner.)
Frank Marcus (Playwright)
Glen Matlock (Bass Player for the Sex Pistols)
Stella McCartney (Fashion Designer.)
Helen McCrory (Actress)
Bruce McLean (Performance Artist)
Alexander McQueen (Fashion Designer.)
Bernard Meninsky (Artist)
John Minton (Artist)
Bill Moggridge (Industrial Design and Faculty Member at Stanford University, Co-founder of IDEO)
May Morris (Textile Designer)
M.I.A. (Singer, Artist and Filmmaker)
Alex Michon (Artist)
John Napier (designer) (Tony Award Winning Set Designer)
Paul Nash (War Artist)
Renee Nele (sculptor)
Navia Nguyen (Model)
Winifred Nicholson (Painter)
Adrian Noble (Artistic Director and former Chief Executive of the Royal Shakespeare Company)
Bruce Oldfield (Fashion Designer)
Seán O'Mara (Graphic Designer + Graffiti Artist XON)
Joshua Oppenheimer (Film Director)
Thérèse Oulton (Painter)
Lawson Oyekan (Ceramic Sculptor)
Rifat Ozbek, (Fashion Designer)
Anita Pallenberg (Actress, Fashion Designer and Model)
Victor Pasmore (Artist and Architect)
Platon (Photographer)
Eduardo Paolozzi (Artist)
Mervyn Peake (Writer and Illustrator)
Phoebe Philo (Fashion Designer Creative Director for Celine.)
Zac Posen (Fashion Designer)
Gareth Pugh (Fashion Designer)
Stephen Pusey (Artist)
Philip Ridley (Painter, Writer, Filmmaker and Photographer)
Diana Ross (Children's Author)
Claudia Roden (Writer)
Michael Rothenstein (Printmaker, Painter and Art Teacher)
Faris Rotter (Musician, Singer and Illustrator)
Gerald Scarfe (Cartoonist and Illustrator)
Kissy Sell Out (Graphic Designer and DJ)
Richard Seymour (Graphic & Industrial Design, President of D&AD)
Jack Shepherd (Actor)
Yinka Shonibare (Artist)
John Simm (Actor)
Posy Simmonds (Cartoonist)
Marianne Straub (Textile Designer)
Paul Simonon (Bass Guitar Player)
Paul Smith (Fashion Designer)
Ruskin Spear (Painter)
John Standing (Actor)
Vivian Stanshall (Musician and Writer)
Joe Strummer (Musician)
Afewerk Tekle (Artist)
Mackenzie Thorpe (Artist)
Mark Titchner (Artist and Turner Prize nominee)
William G. Tucker (Sculptor)
John Tunnard (Artist)
Philip Turner (Author)
Ronis Varlaam (Film Director and Painter)
Keith Vaughan (Painter)
Tom Vek (Musician and Graphic Designer)
Lee Wagstaff (Artist)
Polly Walker (Actress)
Matthew Williamson (Fashion Designer.)
Lambert Wilson (Actor)
Penelope Wilton (Actress)
Cerith Wyn Evans (Artist, Sculptor and Filmmaker)
Frances de la Tour (Actress)
Emily Young (Sculptor)
Barbara Yung Mei-ling (Actress)
Philip Zec (Political Cartoonist)
Maximillion Cooper (Fashion designer and entrepreneur)
Angel Locsin (Actress)
Ruh al-Alam (Calligraphic)
Mick Jones (lead guitar, vocals from the Clash)
Norman Ackroyd (Printmaker)
Sade Adu (Singer)
L. Bruce Archer (Engineer and Research Professor)
Michael "Atters" Attree (satirist, comedy writer and performer)
Frank Auerbach (Painter)
Reyner Banham (Architectural Critic and Writer)
Faris Badwan (Lead Singer of The Horrors)
Jeff Banks (Designer and Presenter of the BBC's The Clothes Show)
Jonathan Barnbrook (Graphic Design, Former Art Director of Adbusters magazine)
Lionel Bart (Composer)
Cressida Bell (Textile Designer)
John Berger (Art Critic, Novelist, Painter and Author)
Paul Bettany (Actor)
Peter Blake (Artist)
Sandra Blow (Painter)
Stephen Billington (Actor)
Pierce Brosnan (Actor)
Maria Bjornson (Theatre Designer)
Hamish Bowles (Fashion Journalist and Editor for American Vogue)
Jason Brooks (Illustrator, known for his work with Hed Kandi)
Derek Boshier (Painter)
John Burningham (Children's Author and Illustrator)
A. S. Byatt (Author)
Simon Callow (Actor)
Mel Calman (Cartoonist)
Michael Cardew (Ceramics)
Anthony Caro (Sculptor)
Hussein Chalayan (Fashion Designer and Creative Director for Puma.)
Bryan Charnley (Artist)
David E. Carter (Graphic Designer)
Billy Childish (Painter, Writer, Musician)
Michael Chow (Restaurateur, Interior Designer, and Part Time Actor)
Jarvis Cocker, (Lead Vocalist of Pulp)
Bernald Cohen (Painter)
Cecil Collins (Artist)
Matthew Collings (British Art Critic and Broadcaster)
Terence Conran (Designer, Retailer and Restaurateur)
John Copnall (Abstract expressionist & teacher)
Jack Coutu (Printmaker and Sculptor)
Alan Davie (Painter and Musician)
Richard Deacon (Sculptor and 1987 Turner Prize Winner.)
Len Deighton (Author)
Frances de la Tour (Actress)
Sokari Douglas Camp (Artist)
Braco Dimitrijevic (Artist)
Peter Doig (Painter)
Arthur Dooley (Sculptor)
Mich Dulce (Fashion Designer)
James Dyson (Industrial Design. CEO of Dyson)
Ronald Ferns (Illustrator)
Colin Firth (Actor and Writer)
Rodney Fitch (Designer)
Tara Fitzgerald (Actor)
Barry Flanagan (Artist)
Caryn Franklin (Presenter and former Editor of i-D magazine)
Lucian Freud (Painter)
Elisabeth Frink (Sculptor and Printmaker)
Anthony Froshaug (Typographer)
Rie Funakoshi (Singer)
John Galliano (Fashion Designer and Creative Director for Dior.)
Gilbert and George (Artists and 1986 Turner Prize Winner.)
A. A. Gill (British Newspaper Columnist and Writer)
Eric Gill (Sculptor, Typographer, Stonecutter and Printmaker)
Anthony Gormley (Artist)
Andrew Grassie (Artist)
Andrew Groves (Fashion Designer)
Shirin Guild (Fashion Designer)
John Gunther (Author and Journalist)
Francesca von Habsburg (Art Collector)
General Sir John Winthrop Hackett Junior, (Army General, author, and Principal of King's College London)
David Hall (Video Artist)
Kathleen Hale (Artist, Illustrator and Children's Author)
Richard Hamilton (Artist and Turner Prize nominee)
Katharine Hamnett, (Fashion Designer.)
PJ Harvey (Musician)
Tim Hatley (Theatre Designer)
Mona Hatoum (Performance and Installation Artist)
Patrick Heron (Painter, Writer and Designer)
Richard Heslop (Film Director)
John Hilliard (Artist)
Rebecca Horn (Installation Artist)
Craigie Horsfield (Artist, Photographer and Turner Prize nominee)
Barbara Hulanicki (Designer.)
John Hurt (Actor)
Neil Innes (Singer and Parodist)
Geraldine James (Actress)
Clare Johnson (Artist, writer)
Edward Johnston (Craftsman)
Dylan Jones (Editor of British GQ)
Isaac Julien (Filmmaker and Installation Artist)
Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone (Illustrators)

to save any future questions of course...

What would be interesting to know is which were Fashion Design and which BA and MA

Also someone mentioned you need a good BA grade to get on the MA. Not at all. I know several people who didn't even graduate who got on the MA. It's about how good your work is (which isn't always indicated by the rigid structure of degree marking- been asked for 100 drawings of jeans, but you do 90 and think they won't count? Fail for you my child!)

01-10-2009
windowshopping

hey guys! I have 2 questions to ask. i wished to go into csm but they rejected me at the first interview I did (well... I did a 6 months course) and they didn't even interviewed anybody. I was applying for womeswear. I went back to my country and now i'm doing some art courses and stuff and I'm thinking in applying for foundation course at Byam Shaw for the course starting in 2010. The thing is

1. Does anyone know if it's really tough to get into art and design foundation? I'm quite lost of what to show at interview cos I have done so many things

2. Does anyone think doing a foundation with 22 is maybe too much? that's silly but it kinda worries me.

it would be nice to get a feedback from anyone and if its a pvt it's better.
xxx

01-10-2009
scenester

Can you get into CSM with a BND?

04-10-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSebastian View Post
Well, after reading all 53 pages of this post I can not thank everyone enough for going through everything they have gone through and have helped people along the way! You guys are seriously great, so willing to help.

I have my interview for CSM on November 14th in NYC. I am HOPING to get in for BA Womenswear. I am seriously HOPING AND PRAYING. Let me give you a little background on my self before I ask questions.

Okay, Well Hey I'm Marc Sebastian I am currently 18 (turning 19 on Nov1) and I am in my Second year, studying Fashion Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology here in NYC. I have been planning on getting my AAS here but not my BFA, I just really don't feel FIT is a great school to get a BFA at. Now, I have been told my construction skills are impressive for a second year but that my art skills are just kinda average. Not average in a bad way, average in a "your work is great but we'd like to see something new". I can draw and have great ideas. My clothing tends to be wearable but with conceptual elements. What I lack in art I make up in accomplishments, work experience and studying abroad. I won the "Best Designer at FIT" and the "Fusion Award" at the 2009 Fusion Fashion show, if you dont know what Fusion is--its basically a fashion show between FIT and Parsons, 15 designes from each school show a collection and winners and a best overall school got choosen, I was this years winner. My show can be seen here--(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS3rCg6ovqg). I have also interned at the following places --Christian Siriano (May-September), Peter Som (September-January), Marc by Marc Jacobs (January to May), Proenza Schouler (May-July) and will finish an internship up at Daniel Vosovic in December. I am also going to be studying abroad in Florence, Italy next semester.

Now that all that stuff is over with, what I am asking is What my chances are at getting in? I do not want to do a foundation year. I think that I have learned enough through FIT and other art classes to surpass this.

So my problem is this, I have my interview in roughly 1 and a half months, I have a strong portfolio, and an even stronger resume but my portfolio lacks fine art. I am worried they will not see me as a conceptual designer but more of a RTW designer (which I think I want to do). I want to attend CSM not only to gain experience from a world renowned college but also to force the conceptual designer that is hiding in me, out. I am looking for any advice so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help a boy out and Thank you again for everything.
You need a school to force a conceptual designer out of you? its not a choice to be a conceptual OR a rtw designer (you got the terminology all mixed up by the way). a conceptual approach to designing is just a particular way of working with ideas. It seems to me like you have a weird understanding of the system and if I were you I would chill out and just take the foundation year, if you get accepted. Not just to learn more about the system, but also to experiment more with your desired way of working. You're 18 yrs old!!!

05-10-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by telepathicgoat View Post
You need a school to force a conceptual designer out of you? its not a choice to be a conceptual OR a rtw designer (you got the terminology all mixed up by the way). a conceptual approach to designing is just a particular way of working with ideas. It seems to me like you have a weird understanding of the system and if I were you I would chill out and just take the foundation year, if you get accepted. Not just to learn more about the system, but also to experiment more with your desired way of working. You're 18 yrs old!!!
I dont believe I got the terms wrong. My designs are suited for RTW, stating that I am very wearable. Where as Mcqueen is conceptual RTW, which means his pieces have statements and can also be worn. I want to incorporate my love of RTW clothing and conceptual details into the way I design. I guess the terms are per-person.

10-10-2009
windowshopping

does someone know what do they mainly ask for interviews for foundation in art and design at byam shaw? what your portfolio should be like more or less. I mean, it's not it's not really clear in the website..

18-10-2009
front row

Hi, i'm applying for a art foundation at st martins and i want my portfolio to (obviously) stand out what would you advise me to do, if anyone is doing it now or has applied before, also i've done past internships (fashion) related which i know they'd like, is it ok to talk about that in my personalstatement when applying there?

21-10-2009
windowshopping

Has anyone tried to take MA womenswear at CSM? I applied twice, both time I was rejected with explaination that that is not good yet for MA. I am international student, graduated in Belgrade. Very hard working, researching and developing designs during the year, passing english .....and nothing

Can you give me any advice, please...

04-11-2009
windowshopping

i want to apply to fashion BA at CSM. does anyone know if it's best to apply early or does it make no difference? I still have work to do on my portfolio, wonder if applying near the deadline will lessen my chances of getting in? thank you

10-11-2009
windowshopping

Do you have no chance of getting into St Martins if your art skills aren't brilliant? I don't get that, its not like you're going for Fine Art... I know you need to be able to realize your ideas on paper but jeez, talk about uppity. Is that really how it is?

If it is - I advise anybody that is worried to just do the Fashion Folio either @ CSM or LCF and then just try again.

I never knew they were like that. I knew they were up their own arse but as are most of the creme de la creme!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint