How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2010
rising star

I intend to take a short course, not sure if it will be related to fashion or to gaphic design. I'm finishing my senior year in Advertising this year, but I'm not sure if I will go one with this.
Is there any kind of application to get in short courses at CSM? Like sending a portfolio for creative courses?

Did anyone take the Fashion Design and Marketing short course? Or the Cool Hunters London? If so, is it good? Does it require any background in fashion?

08-05-2010
windowshopping

Hi, you don't need to send them a portfolio of work for a short course. You can just book it online and turn up on the day. I took a couple of short courses at CSM and they were great.

09-05-2010
windowshopping

Anyone taken BA Fashion at CSM? Any feedback?

10-05-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcivomistra View Post
Hi, you don't need to send them a portfolio of work for a short course. You can just book it online and turn up on the day. I took a couple of short courses at CSM and they were great.
Nice, then it's pretty easy. Thank you!

18-05-2010
windowshopping

I applied for the Fashion MA course, I was 1 of 5 that got an interview out of about 30. They have you drop off your portfolio and they go through your work then you go away and come back 2 hours later and if you have an interview with Louise Wilson, your name is printed on a list on the door! The interview was HELL, I thought I knew what to expect but I really had no idea how AWFUL she really was! She ripped me apart!! First of all she criticized my handwriting on the application form and my photo and asked me if I thought it would be scrutinized?

Then she went crazy on my outfit and told me I have no style and that I look like Hedi Slimane with cheap jewellery.... and that I probably bought my outfit specially for the interview.

Then by this time she was shouting at me across the desk, saying fashion students have no style anymore and she mentioned the only student she has seen in a long time with any style looks like a paedophile........

Then went on to criticize my outfit again, asking me if this is how I really dress..... then started to have a conversation with her assistant about me as if I wasnt in the room, saying that im 'probably going to complain and how this is going to be a really bad experience for me.....''

Then she asked me what designers I like...... and why? and what would I wear if I had an interview with either of them...... Then she started ranting about her current students and how they dont work hard enough. Then she asked me why I applied? and what can i give them? And what radio station I listen to?

And if I had any questions? I asked 'what did you think about my work?' at this point she started shouting at me again:
'WHAT DO I THINK OF YOUR WORK? You got an interview out of 30 WHAT DO YOU THINK?'

it was a completely weird experience!!

Although to me she was quite tame, but to my friend she was awful, she told her:
'your american arent you? i have alot of american friends. you need to see a psychiatrist. your portfolio is s**t. your illustrations are f*****g disgusting. why are they all different? no wonder you havent got a job.....''

19-05-2010
trendsetter

Although it isn't funny at ALL I just can't stop laughing.

windowshopping

i cannot believe the unprofessionalism.
theres a way to tell someone they need improvement without the likes of profanity and victimisation.
As for what she said to you - After choosing you from 30, you'd think she would be trying to be nice - after all your paying the fees!

19-05-2010
V.I.P.

I"m going to sound harsh here, but it think that it might have been intended ... to see how you react to criticism ... as a test.

Now profanity ... that's a bit much. IMO. No need to take it that far.

As a fashion student, and later as a designer ... you will have to deal with criticism on a regular basis. I would think that they are looking for students who can listen for valid points, learn a little bit when receiving criticism and keep their composure. It might have been a test ... and I hope you passed it with flying colors.

If you get in, you can expect this type of criticism from now on out ... so get used to it ... learn how to take it and use it to your advantage.

And the comment about being one out of 30: She was just pointing out the if you made it to the top 30, so she must love the portfolio. Maybe a bit backhanded ... but take it as a compliment.

20-05-2010
windowshopping

Hi everyone, I will apply this October for the foundation course art & design (year 2011). I was wondering if there are more people thinking to do the same..

20-05-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOSEPH View Post
I applied for the Fashion MA course, I was 1 of 5 that got an interview out of about 30. They have you drop off your portfolio and they go through your work then you go away and come back 2 hours later and if you have an interview with Louise Wilson, your name is printed on a list on the door! The interview was HELL, I thought I knew what to expect but I really had no idea how AWFUL she really was! She ripped me apart!! First of all she criticized my handwriting on the application form and my photo and asked me if I thought it would be scrutinized?

Then she went crazy on my outfit and told me I have no style and that I look like Hedi Slimane with cheap jewellery.... and that I probably bought my outfit specially for the interview.

Then by this time she was shouting at me across the desk, saying fashion students have no style anymore and she mentioned the only student she has seen in a long time with any style looks like a paedophile........

Then went on to criticize my outfit again, asking me if this is how I really dress..... then started to have a conversation with her assistant about me as if I wasnt in the room, saying that im 'probably going to complain and how this is going to be a really bad experience for me.....''

Then she asked me what designers I like...... and why? and what would I wear if I had an interview with either of them...... Then she started ranting about her current students and how they dont work hard enough. Then she asked me why I applied? and what can i give them? And what radio station I listen to?

And if I had any questions? I asked 'what did you think about my work?' at this point she started shouting at me again:
'WHAT DO I THINK OF YOUR WORK? You got an interview out of 30 WHAT DO YOU THINK?'

it was a completely weird experience!!

Although to me she was quite tame, but to my friend she was awful, she told her:
'your american arent you? i have alot of american friends. you need to see a psychiatrist. your portfolio is s**t. your illustrations are f*****g disgusting. why are they all different? no wonder you havent got a job.....''
as BetteT also said, its a test for critiscm.

How u reacted is what they look at in interviews.

All good fashion uni's have interviews that go like this.

They will beat everything u do, down. not necessarily b/c they dont like it, but what if a customer didnt? u know?

dont let that interview shatter ur confidence. channel all that negativity into making you a stronger person

this is a field where u have to deal with very very difficult people. she is quite tame compared to a lot other interviewers.

windowshopping

I would like to study Fashion Communication with Promotion, there at Central Saint Martins. Anyone has studied there before? any needed information for the program?
thanks

30-05-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAUKA View Post
Hi everyone, I will apply this October for the foundation course art & design (year 2011). I was wondering if there are more people thinking to do the same..
I might be!

I am also doing a summer course (for 16-18 year olds) in august, is anyone else doing one of these?

01-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessAnna View Post
I might be!

I am also doing a summer course (for 16-18 year olds) in august, is anyone else doing one of these?
yeah!

unfortunately I won't follow a summer course this august but I hope you'll like it. I was wondering how do you prepare your portfolio?

x

01-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAUKA View Post
yeah!

unfortunately I won't follow a summer course this august but I hope you'll like it. I was wondering how do you prepare your portfolio?

x
I found this PDF document really helpful

http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/docs/cours...ourse-info.pdf

there is a section which tells you all about portfolios and interviews.
hope that helps!

01-06-2010
trendsetter

I was planning on applying to the MA Fashion Journalism course but I never got around to completing my application. Did anyone else apply to the MA Fashion Journalism program at CSM or has anyone been through the program before? If so, what was your experience like? I am really kicking myself for not applying sooner and I just missed the deadline.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint