How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue_addiction
I'm going to sign in on photography course 16-18 year olds. from august 13th to 17th.!!

if my parents will let me
I am also interested in photography... It would be funny if we would see each other in London

20-12-2006
congratulations, nerds.

I did this last year, in 'Introduction To The Fashion Industry'.

It was good, very informative and I learnt alot about what it takes for the career I want, I'd reccomend it!

20-12-2006
scenester

They dont provide housing for short courses during the summer though do they???

20-12-2006
fashion icon

^ oh, i hope they do. I just assumed they did and was looking at the housing. I clicked on the "accommodation" link for the courses and so i assumed they did.

I was just wondering if you've never actually studied fashion design etc, what course should you start with? especially if you can only go once.

e.g. do I choose the Beginner's Sewing course together with the Pattern Making course? Or do i also need to know how fabrics move etc so i choose the correct materials? Or do i do the overall fashion design course that teaches you to draw etc?

What's the most important first step to ground yourself and prepare for future courses. Would sewing/pattern making be the best as most courses seem to require such skills?
Because i wouldn't think you could go into fashion designing (illustrations) without knowing anything about materials?

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsweetie
They dont provide housing for short courses during the summer though do they???
Yes they do..! One of the accomodations is called "Albert Flemming Halls", or something like that

21-12-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking
^ oh, i hope they do. I just assumed they did and was looking at the housing. I clicked on the "accommodation" link for the courses and so i assumed they did.

I was just wondering if you've never actually studied fashion design etc, what course should you start with? especially if you can only go once.

e.g. do I choose the Beginner's Sewing course together with the Pattern Making course? Or do i also need to know how fabrics move etc so i choose the correct materials? Or do i do the overall fashion design course that teaches you to draw etc?

What's the most important first step to ground yourself and prepare for future courses. Would sewing/pattern making be the best as most courses seem to require such skills?
Because i wouldn't think you could go into fashion designing (illustrations) without knowing anything about materials?
I had the same questions as you do, so I had mailed CSM...They told me that they do expect you to have some experiences, but this counts only for the courses without "beginners or introduction" in front of it.. So I have booked an introduction course.. I don't expect them to think that you'll have experience during an introduction course?

23-12-2006
front row

the short courses at csm are great! i learned a lot (i took intro to fashion design..16-18)
it was great to have insight from the teacher who oversaw phoebe philo/stella mccartney/matthew williamson's work. she told me loads of info.

23-12-2006
front row

so...do you only have a graduation show for MA fashion? or do the BA students have one as well?

25-12-2006
scenester

does anyone here's studying in CSM and didn't do a foundation before entering the BA courses? (exluding the bussiness sides courses)
it's so expensive to have another year before having the degree... though i know both CSM and westminster said they definitely need a foundation for all students...

just wanna know are there any exceptions...ty

26-01-2007
trendsetter

uberquirkyness - the ba have a final show too you can see them on catwalking.com the difference to ma is that there are more graduates for ba and the ma show is shown in the bfc tents during fashion week

and jeifei i didnt do a foundation before being accepted, i did a btec in fine art so it works out i'm at least a year younger than everyone in my class

27-01-2007
fashion icon

^what's a btec?

for the portfolio...can i send a photo album of my work instead of slides? i dont trust slides...

im so nervous =X
im sending my app and portfolio and transcript in around march/april. is that too late? it's for foundation.
i would be nice if i can skip foundation though =T

30-01-2007
trendsetter

a btec is a two year course that you can option do do when you're 16 (or older)

30-01-2007
fashion insider

I'm applying too!! I asked them if I could skip foundation since I'll be grauating from Parsons with a 2 year degree this summer, and they told me it's really based on your portfolio. They seriously assess your drawing skills and base your placement on whether you need more time or not.

31-01-2007
scenester

seems not many ppl here apply through the UCAs...huh?
i'm terrified of not even able to get the chance for an interview

MUXU... i think you can apply that now... if ya think ur portfolio is good enough. my frd has sent the application form without any of her works, and having an interview this fri.

31-01-2007
fashion icon

oh oh. i never heard of a thing like btec...but that's reasonable since i dont live in UK.

i ll apply at the end feb or early march. i dont think my portfolio is great great or "perfect", but i have no choice but to send it in.
i wish i can have an interview >_< it will help me so so much. international students have to send in alot more pieces of work than the local, that's one of the reasons why im freaking out.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
central, csm, london, martins, saint