How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

clients
One of the most important lessons in business is to avoid mixing friendship and business. When it comes to the fashion industry it gets worse since many people that like to dress up and look all glammed up are the same people that dont wanna let go of money. How does one create the balance between being strict about payments and still mantain your clients.

23-11-2005
FC5
scenester

Take a hint from the bigger businesses - have different people doing the selling/PR and dealing with the money. Sales, marketing and PR is very, um, kissy kissy. Accounts is very hard and business like. Don't mix the two if at all possible.

23-11-2005
etre soi-meme

ditto & kudos to FC5 ..

23-11-2005
rising star

this is on a much smaller scale I know but when I do clothes for my friends I always make them pay me first because I can't afford to be buying supplies that won't be paid for. They understand and don't make a fuss because it's how I've always done it. Some people never find the time to pay me and in the end the event they wanted the outfit for goes by without it being made but the neat thing about this is that it is entirely their choice and if the item isn't made by a certain time they have noone to blame but themselves

24-11-2005
V.I.P.

Don't know what you do in the industry, but for me ... as a stylist ... if it's work for a individual person (not a company) that I've never worked for before, I take a 50%, non refundable deposit up front and the balance is due in cash on the day of the shoot or whatever I'm doing for them, such as a consultation. For small companies, I get a check from them before they leave ... payable the day or the shoot. For bigger companies, that are known to be reputable ... I usually can't do that ... but I let them know in writing that the balance is due in 30 days or there will be a specified late fee. This seems to work pretty well.

25-11-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

wow thanks everyone! very informativ!!

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

thanks alot for the info very educative!!!!

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Don't know what you do in the industry, but for me ... as a stylist ... if it's work for a individual person (not a company) that I've never worked for before, I take a 50%, non refundable deposit up front and the balance is due in cash on the day of the shoot or whatever I'm doing for them, such as a consultation. For small companies, I get a check from them before they leave ... payable the day or the shoot. For bigger companies, that are known to be reputable ... I usually can't do that ... but I let them know in writing that the balance is due in 30 days or there will be a specified late fee. This seems to work pretty well.
wow how correct, i love a tough cookie..

28-11-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks, Lena! It's my background in banking and real estate ... my previous careers ... that has taught me about the business of this biz.

28-11-2005
etre soi-meme

i wish i was working with you managing me BetteT
you are an inspiration

( i'm too bad -read soft- in getting good -read reasonable- deals with my freelance clients)

29-11-2005
V.I.P.

Ya know, Lena ... it's hard to do at first, but after I got burned a couple of times, I knew that I had to cover my a$$. I find that if you set up a system, it's easier.

What I do is I have a word document for my rates (different sheets for different types of gigs) and it's all laid out there ... my rates, the deposit, the form of payment that I accept, cancellation fees, extra fees for extended travel or overtime hours ... all of it. When someone asks for my rates I don't just verbally tell them a quick rate ... I say "It's complicated ... let me email it to you" and I send it as an attachment.

That way they have it in writing and usually confirm back by email which gives me a permanent written record that they received it. We can refer back to it later is there is any questions or disputes. Of course a contract is even better ... but that scares the little clients ... so this seems to serve a similar purpose.

And I don't have to feel like I'm the bad guy ... not trusting them .... it's just "standard policy" and they accept it because it's in writing. Interesting that people accept something that is written as "gospel" and not negotiable but if you just tell them verbally they often start to haggle or tell you that they just don't have the money. Or maybe it's just that I don't have to feel guilty when they start that and cave ... I don't know. I think that this method helps me get my actual rate much more often than before.

29-11-2005
etre soi-meme

ahh excellent tips, i'm still learning i guess , thanks again

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clients