How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2009
windowshopping

A mix of both in Toronto, Canada.
Smaller markets such as Toronto , Canada just do not have enough editorial work. Models here need to do both. Some super models that are from Toronto, Canada ( or the suburbs of) such as Coco Rocha , did both & it had no adverse effect on their career. Now that it is late 2009 & a tough economy I suspect that even in large markets, models need to work both commercial & editorial.:p

07-12-2009
V.I.P.

I think commercial pays more, but I'd stick to high fashion.

07-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
I think commercial pays more, but I'd stick to high fashion.

I think thoughts like this is the reason why most successful high fashion models are only successful within a span of a few years because they are kept in the tight bubble of high fashion jobs.

Why can't people try and experiment all the aspects of the modeling industry and see what works for them. It's silly for models, and agencies alike, to keep themselves at bay of work because they're afraid of making their image "cheap". The high fashion industry is a revolving door of the "new girls" that swallows models whole and quickly regurgitates them after a few seasons. It's sad because I find most high fashion models can actually do many commercial works, but they're too afraid to or are simply not willing to. And then people are yelling at their ears that if you become the face of VS or do some commercial for Target, then Gucci or Chanel won't hire you anymore. Pure silliness at the very least.

Models back then did everything! And I mean everything! That's why they are still booking jobs even if they're past their 30's or 40's, and even 50's. It's called social networking.

High fashion models like Raquel Zimmerman and Isabeli Fontana have the true testament of longevity because they're not afraid to put on a swimsuit or do photoshoots for for some cheap down town catalog, atleast they're working throughout the year.

Seriously, if you have it, then you have it, don't try to demean your own career by simply limiting yourself.

----

Commercial work in general does pay more. But ad campaigns for high fashion brands also pays well because they generally have bigger budgets than editorials or runway.

Less paying jobs = less competitive, more girls chosen.

High paying jobs = more competitive, less girls chosen.

So if you're an aspiring model who wants to live in the upper east side of Manhattan one day, then try to do every job imaginable that you can handle, no matter how cheap, small, expensive, big, blah blah blah.

----
**** Edited ..... removing response to posts that were moved to a new thread in The Etc.s of the Modeling world ... just as you were posting this. The Most Valuable Models ... Runway Models not being Paid What they are Worth?

Last edited by BetteT; 07-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.
09-02-2010
scenester

I think it's much more flattering to do be fit for commercial modelling than high fashion. It's quite simple: for high fashion modelling the requirements are not about being attractive. You need a very pronounced and maybe unusual face, you need to be VERY tall( and in real life for a women to be almost 6 feet ), and as for the body type you need to be very flat, to enhance the designer's creation. For high fashion the emphasis is on the clothes or the make up or whatever the designer wants to "sell". Some of these models happen to be attractive fitting those requirements, yes, they have my respect for that.

For commercial modelling-the point is to be attractive. When you advertise make up, pose for VS and in Sports Illustrated-you know that's because you are attractive. In real life, the beautiful girls are the ones you see in SI or VS. That's their job-to sell beauty, attractiveness...In real life, women ( of course, I-m speaking in general), women want to look for example like a lingerie model, not like the girl with no chest walking the runway for Karl Laggerfeld, and men "fancy" the girls in SI or FHM, or "the hot chick" in some music video than most of the girls on the runway. I repeat-I-m only speaking in general-I know there are high fashion models who are attractive, and I know each individual has personal preferences. I only reffered to some items on a large scale, as we can not touch all individual and particular details.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-02-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Remivng weight talk, which is not allowed, per tFS Commmunity Rules.
09-02-2010
scenester

For example (and again, aside from some possible indivdual tastes), Candice SWanopoel, Adriana Lima, Miranda Kerr-though they have done some high fashion" gigs", are more commerical type. But they're gorgeous, they pose in SI, and they are beautiful women. One the other hand, Giselle is much more "high fashion", but she is not comparable in terms of beauty or attractiveness. Walking down the street, the "hot girls" and the ones considered "beautiful" would be the first 3 I mentioned.

13-04-2012
windowshopping

Not every model can do high fashion, but most of high fashion models can do commercial is all about market. You can be edgy and still do some commercial jobs. It not always about beauty...

V.I.P.

^ I think that it is more the reverse. High fashion tends to be stricter about height and proportions, but you can find girls of all stripes doing high fashion, from quirky to exotic to classic to sexy, especially if you take a long-term view. Put it this way, if I take all the VS Angels of the past 15-20 years, I can identify a model with similar looks who was a regular on the high fashion runway, Vogue Italia or Vogue Paris, but I cannot find parallels for runway, Vogue Italia or Vogue Paris regulars as part of the VS Angel line up.

In the short term a model has to let her agents put her in the bucket that they think is best, and if at some point she really has a passion to be in a different bucket and meets the basic requirements to be in that bucket, then she needs to advocate for herself with her agency, and if they are not willing to help her, consider changing agencies. Another option, especially if it is a commercial model who wants to do more high fashion, is to do trade work with designers and fashion photographers.

12-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
I think thoughts like this is the reason why most successful high fashion models are only successful within a span of a few years because they are kept in the tight bubble of high fashion jobs.

Why can't people try and experiment all the aspects of the modeling industry and see what works for them. It's silly for models, and agencies alike, to keep themselves at bay of work because they're afraid of making their image "cheap". The high fashion industry is a revolving door of the "new girls" that swallows models whole and quickly regurgitates them after a few seasons. It's sad because I find most high fashion models can actually do many commercial works, but they're too afraid to or are simply not willing to. And then people are yelling at their ears that if you become the face of VS or do some commercial for Target, then Gucci or Chanel won't hire you anymore. Pure silliness at the very least.

Models back then did everything! And I mean everything! That's why they are still booking jobs even if they're past their 30's or 40's, and even 50's. It's called social networking.

High fashion models like Raquel Zimmerman and Isabeli Fontana have the true testament of longevity because they're not afraid to put on a swimsuit or do photoshoots for for some cheap down town catalog, atleast they're working throughout the year.

Seriously, if you have it, then you have it, don't try to demean your own career by simply limiting yourself.

----

Commercial work in general does pay more. But ad campaigns for high fashion brands also pays well because they generally have bigger budgets than editorials or runway.

Less paying jobs = less competitive, more girls chosen.

High paying jobs = more competitive, less girls chosen.

So if you're an aspiring model who wants to live in the upper east side of Manhattan one day, then try to do every job imaginable that you can handle, no matter how cheap, small, expensive, big, blah blah blah.

----
**** Edited ..... removing response to posts that were moved to a new thread in The Etc.s of the Modeling world ... just as you were posting this. The Most Valuable Models ... Runway Models not being Paid What they are Worth?
i have to agree with these. 80% of the models who have been working for over 4-8 yrs is because they do more then just "HF work"
Natasha,Isabeli,Daria,KK have done both commercial n High Fashion work n are more well known or more of a complete model IMO then lets said Stella,Kristen,Guinevere.

V.I.P.

Quote:
I think since this great post we have seen others like Adriana Lima enter this space. As far as the next Gisele, my money is on Maryna Linchuk
3 yrs later n she hasnt ....

i will said Karlie n Joan will have a great career in both markets.

front row

What exactly is commercial modelling, is this more likes lookbooks, TV ads, catalogues, isn't H & M more commercial? I noticed that high fashion models can work the catologues and things that in my view are commercial.

27-11-2012
V.I.P.

You are correct ... those sort of things are all more or less commercial modleing. Anything that presents any product to the public is usually "commercial". Runway presents the product to the buyers and editors ... the people who work in fashion. And Editorial work in magazines is not considered commercial ... unless it's for a lifestyle magazine.

There is a slight crossover between the two ... so the line is sometimes blurred.

But you don't realy see many famous runway/ecitorial girls in Macy's catalogs or in TV commercials for tampons or insurance. Yes, it can happen ... but only a few lucky models can do both and look right in either place. It's a different "look" for each type of model. Runway/Edtorial models are quirkier looking and not as conventionally pretty ... sometimes they would be considered almost ugly or at least have a very distinctive and uniquie look. Commercial models must be pretty and have killer smiles.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.
02-12-2012
front row

I some times struggle to distinguish commercial images from high fashion ones. In my experience as a model there are some images in my portfolio of which are high fashion but I think a lot more commercial as I am not travelling yet and doing it locally. Where I am- I would say there is definitely a more commercial style with photographers.

I noticed a lot of models start off commercial then get into high fashion, it seems to make it a whole lot easier. Have a look at Irina Shayk's website, it's full of high fashion images. Where as in Google her images are more glamour and commercial. She did a lot of work for catalogues. Commercial photography was used then, now she has done a lot of editorial work for exposure in the high fashion area.

The same goes for Mirranda Kerr, Adriana Lima, Gisele and Alessandra- they did a lot of commercial work in their early careers, what about Cintia Dicker, Bambi and Hannah Holman

Last edited by Mariann; 02-12-2012 at 09:34 AM.
04-01-2013
front row

Are Glamour and Cosmopolitan magazines commercial?

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

certainly, they are.

front row

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure of that.

I've noticed a lot of models began their careers commercial before entering into the high fashion world.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
commercial, fashion, high, modeling, versus