How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-01-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
I some times struggle to distinguish commercial images from high fashion ones. In my experience as a model there are some images in my portfolio of which are high fashion but I think a lot more commercial as I am not travelling yet and doing it locally. Where I am- I would say there is definitely a more commercial style with photographers.

I noticed a lot of models start off commercial then get into high fashion, it seems to make it a whole lot easier. Have a look at Irina Shayk's website, it's full of high fashion images. Where as in Google her images are more glamour and commercial. She did a lot of work for catalogues. Commercial photography was used then, now she has done a lot of editorial work for exposure in the high fashion area.

The same goes for Mirranda Kerr, Adriana Lima, Gisele and Alessandra- they did a lot of commercial work in their early careers, what about Cintia Dicker, Bambi and Hannah Holman
I'm pretty sure Gisele and Alessandra started in HF first doing crazy amounts of runway then that lead to the exposure and commercial work. Miranda started out more commercial then ventured into HF recently. Adriana might have started in HF as well.

05-01-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTMugler View Post
I'm pretty sure Gisele and Alessandra started in HF first doing crazy amounts of runway then that lead to the exposure and commercial work. Miranda started out more commercial then ventured into HF recently. Adriana might have started in HF as well.
It's only recent that Miranda got into high fashion? I am sure she did have commercial work and got some big commercial advert at the age of 21, apparently according to the Daily Mail she struggled with bookings when signed with Next at first or something. I know her big break didn't entirely come through until VS and when she was in her twenties or something.

I thought Adriana, Gisele and Alessandra did do a fair bit of commercial work, I think they returned back to high fashion at some point in their careers. Just looking through their pictures, there are a lot of commercial images.

Does any one have any examples of their commercial work that maybe are vintage or not in Google search results?

05-01-2013
front row

Quote:
It's only recent that Miranda got into high fashion? I am sure she did have commercial work and got some big commercial advert at the age of 21, apparently according to the Daily Mail she struggled with bookings when signed with Next at first or something. I know her big break didn't entirely come through until VS and when she was in her twenties or something.

I thought Adriana, Gisele and Alessandra did do a fair bit of commercial work, I think they returned back to high fashion at some point in their careers. Just looking through their pictures, there are a lot of commercial images.

Does any one have any examples of their commercial work that maybe are vintage or not in Google search results?
Miranda actually did some decent runway shows before VS. Not Prada or anything but she walked for 3.1 Philip Lim etc. Candice was kind of similar.

Gisele did commercial work when she was a young teenager in Brazil but when she went international she started in high fashion. Same with Alessandra and Adriana.

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

Moderators' Note:

Please remember to stay on topic ... this is not Supporting Cast where we discuss individual models and their careers.

The topic here is the basic differences and occasional similarities between the two types of modeling and the fact that some models can do both. But please do not turn this into a discussion about specific models. If you wish to illustrate your point about what each type of modeling usually looks like, it's OK to show photos .... preferably generic photos without well known models.

Photos and naming of specific models or discussions about their individual their career paths should be posted in their own threads in Supporting Cast.

Thanks!

Last edited by BetteT; 06-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
22-01-2013
front row

I think it's possible to "start" as a high fashion model and peek later at commercial photography - once you're established as a model. But it's much harder to do a lot of commercial work and then chance to the high fashion sector (an exception is, afaik, Ophelie Rupp?).

front row

Is mainstream the same as commercial modelling?

10-10-2013
V.I.P.

Hey Mariann,

I think essentially "Commercial Modeling" consists of print/television advertisements that aren't specifically "fashion". This would include swimsuit and lingerie contracts, as well as other endorsements like shampoo, cosmetics or any kind of random national gig like shooting an American Express campaign, or Pepsi, Mercedes, etc.

10-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
Hey Mariann,

I think essentially "Commercial Modeling" consists of print/television advertisements that aren't specifically "fashion". This would include swimsuit and lingerie contracts, as well as other endorsements like shampoo, cosmetics or any kind of random national gig like shooting an American Express campaign, or Pepsi, Mercedes, etc.
Thank you for a quick reply

Yeah in my view, I had commercials in my head and print adverts like Nivea, Herbal Essences, Garnier and cosmetics maybe like Max Faxtor as commercial. I also think catalogues fall into that category but they usually can include fashion like high street fashion or cheaper clothing than high end products.

I can see what you mean about swimwear and lingerie usually being commercial but what about brands like LaPerla? They are more high end lingerie and you see high fashion photography there?

What exactly is mainstream then if it's not commercial, I was wondering if they are the same thing as I know mainstream is usually anything that isn't high fashion?

Last edited by Mariann; 10-10-2013 at 02:40 PM.
10-10-2013
V.I.P.

Commercial doesn't necessarily relate to quality. For example, a campaign for "American Eagle" ad isn't going to be high fashion by anyone's standards and probably won't be of a high quality (in terms of artistry, photographers, styling, etc) , but it IS still fashion, and so it isn't technically "commercial" modeling.

ANY cosmetics gig, whether it's shot by Meisel for Dior or whether it's shot by random John Doe for Covergirl is considered commercial, as it's not fashion that's being advertised.

I've not heard the term Mainstream Modeling used as a sort of actual thing, but I can only assume that it would be related to the less exclusive brands, whether it be fashion or commercial (ie, catalogue work, Sketchers, Bunny Swimwear, etc).

11-10-2013
front row

So for models doing editorial work, would you say that usually is high fashion including beauty shots found in Vogue, Elle, Harpers Bazaar, etc?

Are the commercial editorials ones you find in magazines like Cosmopolitan and Glamour or Marie Claire?

11-10-2013
V.I.P.

Here's the basic rule: It's not the magazines that determine whether or not it's "fashion modeling" ... it's what they are advertising. I they are advertising clothing of any type ... it's fashion. If they are advertising anything else ... it's commercial.

11-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Here's the basic rule: It's not the magazines that determine whether or not it's "fashion modeling" ... it's what they are advertising. I they are advertising clothing of any type ... it's fashion. If they are advertising anything else ... it's commercial.
Okay, thanks for your view. See, I thought that high fashion was about the photography, pose, and style, I thought high end products whether beauty, cosmetics, skin care, jewellery, clothing, etc could be classed as high fashion because of the way they are captured.

I thought commercial was more simpler, more about smiling, etc. I thought that it was another genre of modelling, sure high fashion models can do commercial and commercial models can do high fashion. I have heard successful models have an 80% HF and 20% commercial body of work. My idea of commercial was about the style of images.

What two people on here have said is that high fashion is about clothing and that cosmetics such as Dior and Channel are classed as commercial. How do you categorise models who shoot nudes, often they are artistic and can relate to high fashion especially if they are modelling a bag or bracelet?

Where do editorials come into this?

11-10-2013
V.I.P.

I know that this is very confusing, and that is because there is no hard and fast rule and everyone has their own ideas about this. We speak in generalities ...

Here is what I've gleaned from talking to a lot of people about this very thing ... and as you can see ... there's a lot of overlap. And as you mentioned, models usually do both types of modeling, at least the most successful ones.
Quote:
See, I thought that high fashion was about the photography, pose, and style, I thought high end products whether beauty, cosmetics, skin care, jewellery, clothing, etc could be classed as high fashion because of the way they are captured.
You are partially right. The way they are captured is the "style" of the shoot ... so any product may be shot in a commercial style or a high fashion style. But the shoot itself is either a fashion shoot or a commercial shoot, depending on the product. Just depends on what you are talking about.

Quote:
I thought commercial was more simpler, more about smiling, etc. I thought that it was another genre of modelling,
That is the "commercial style" ... not the actual shoot.

Quote:
How do you categorise models who shoot nudes, often they are artistic and can relate to high fashion especially if they are modelling a bag or bracelet?
The models may be either fashion or commercial models, depending on who they pick and the "style" of the ad. A bag or a bracelet is fashion ... artistic or not ... it's still a fashion shoot.

Quote:
Where do editorials come into this?
Usually considered fashion editorials .. since most editorials are about clothes and/or accessories. However, if it's an editorial for something like a car or fitness magazine, that probably would be commercial .. a commercial editorial. A bit of a grey area .....

11-10-2013
V.I.P.

yeah - i think there are two things we're discussing here:

1) there's the actual, literal definition of "fashion modelling" and "commercial modelling". and that is as simple as whether it's fashion that's being modeled or whether it's something else. to be honest, i'm not certain where accessories fall into this. i would consider swimsuit and lingerie to be commercial shoots, as i would also consider for example an OMEGA watch campaign to be a commercial shoot. same with a Louis Vuitton luggage ad. but perhaps people in the industry consider accessories to fall under 'fashion'. i honestly am not sure.

2) then there is the definitions of "commercial" and "high-fashion" which relates specifically to the style of the shoot, as Bette had said. SO you can have a fashion editorial that is shot in a commercial style --- meaning the things that you had mentioned previously (more generic lighting, smiling models, approachable posing, etc). or a commercial shoot for a car or whatever that is shot by a high-fashion photographer with hyper-stylized lighting and a supermodel and so it would be in a high-fashion style, despite still being by definition a commercial shoot.

V.I.P.

in terms of models specifically, when someone refers to a "commercial model" they're talking about someone who primarily advertises things that don't fall under the FASHION category. for example, Tyra Banks. the majority of her modelling work has come from swimsuit, lingerie and cosmetics campaigns -- thus she is a commercial supermodel. versus someone like Kristen McMenamy, who has done very little commercial work and is mostly featured in campaigns and editorials that are advertising clothes and typically at the most exclusive level in the industry -- thus making her a high-fashion supermodel.

the most successful models tend to have done a lot of both. Gisele is a great example, because in a single season she can be the face of fashion campaigns like Versace or Givenchy, whilst also landing commercial campaigns like Pantene ProV or American Express.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
commercial, fashion, high, modeling, versus