Condé Nast Turns Style.com Into E-Commerce Site/ Now Vogue Runway.com - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-04-2015
#Resist

So it sounds like it's going to be ShopBazaar for all the Conde Nast publications ... and they say it's not going to compromise their journalistic integrity, to whatever extent they have it today ... hmm. W used to claim to have a feature where you could find out where to buy things you saw in their pages, but it totally didn't work.

I think part of the issue is that some (and maybe a lot) of what you see in editorial isn't produced, is obscure/produced in extremely limited quantities, is custom-made for the publication, not available for sale yet, etc. It's rather difficult to believe that the existence of this site won't bring pressure to bear on the magazines to change that ... This seems likely to dumb down the publications further than they already were, which is painful to contemplate.

02-05-2015
trendsetter

I hate this....don't try and change something that is already fine.

02-05-2015
V.I.P.

I think this cheapens the brand and the integrity of the fashion journalists is all but wiped. The aim is not to critique and assess fashion but to sell sh!t
on the website.

03-05-2015
fashion insider

^^^ The "critique" now on style.com, even by Tim, are really nothing more than spin-- unless it was with designers that hardly, if ever, advertised in their publications, like when Tim told it like it was with Gaultier some time ago. But I suppose it's OK to be real and tell it like it is-- Gaultier wasn't contributing to Tim's pay cheque. They would never call out Miuccia, Dolce or Hedi, ever.

It may become more insufferable with the designer client-pandering with the coming of e-commerce, but that's totally understandable: People need to keep their jobs and not burn bridges. I think if there may be one possible, positive outcome from all of this... is that some customers will see through such transparencies and actually judge a collection, a designer, a trend for themselves instead of relying on the hype of Tim the salesman's opinions.

28-08-2015
fashion icon

Apparently their new replacement site launches on monday, kind of excited to see how it will be.

28-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
^^^ The "critique" now on style.com, even by Tim, are really nothing more than spin-- unless it was with designers that hardly, if ever, advertised in their publications, like when Tim told it like it was with Gaultier some time ago. But I suppose it's OK to be real and tell it like it is-- Gaultier wasn't contributing to Tim's pay cheque. They would never call out Miuccia, Dolce or Hedi, ever.

It may become more insufferable with the designer client-pandering with the coming of e-commerce, but that's totally understandable: People need to keep their jobs and not burn bridges. I think if there may be one possible, positive outcome from all of this... is that some customers will see through such transparencies and actually judge a collection, a designer, a trend for themselves instead of relying on the hype of Tim the salesman's opinions.
Yeah, he said that when JPG showed his farewell RTW collection, but before that it was just that masterful Tim 'spin', as you call it.

I'm still not sold on Tim's integrity, of course. I think things have to be really bad for him to actually call someone out on it.

Still, he is one of the better critics out there...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Apparently their new replacement site launches on monday, kind of excited to see how it will be.
In the preview video they posted, there was a bunch of 90s shows clips. I really hope this means the new site will have a bigger and better archive than style.com. They only had shows until 2000 and in very low quality.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
29-08-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
In the preview video they posted, there was a bunch of 90s shows clips. I really hope this means the new site will have a bigger and better archive than style.com. They only had shows until 2000 and in very low quality.
Can't find the preview video anywhere...Can you link me to it, please?

29-08-2015
fashion elite

^ It will be under the "Vogue Runway" name

Last edited by gazebo; 29-08-2015 at 07:45 AM.
29-08-2015
backstage pass

Changes Are Coming: An Update on the New VogueRunway.com
In the next several weeks, Style.com’s 15-year archive of runway shows is migrating to VogueRunway.com, a section of Vogue.com. Each and every one of the 12,000-plus collections—literally more than a million pictures from the runway, backstage, the front row, and the streets outside, not to mention all of the reviews that we’ve posted since September 1999—is making the move. It’s an extraordinary development for the coverage of fashion on a global scale.

For the Spring 2016 collections, Vogue Runway will have the same comprehensive coverage of the shows that Style.com did, only now with an expanded roster of reviewers. Beyond all of the “you are there” features, like live-stream videos, instant runway photos, and video reviews, expect to find expanded news content, as well as additional opinion pieces from Vogue Runway’s top voices and in-depth coverage of fashion’s behind-the-scenes players.

Style.com’s success came not only from its editorial vision—to bring a wider public audience inside the shows and to do it faster and better than anyone else—but also from the dedication of all of you, its readers. I hope you’ll join all of us and help make a success of VogueRunway.com. If you have questions or concerns, I welcome your feedback in the comments section below.

Source: http://stylem.ag/1hncSwO

fashion icon

Oh, so they're just moving the old style.com photos. I thought they would have better quality pictures for the older shows. what a shame.

fashion elite

They had the opportunity to build a real and serious fashion archive. I mean, considering how the 90's were huge for today's fashion, i expected at least runway images from Spring 1990.

With Prada (as always they are the first) having a archive section (from 1988 to now) in it section, i though Vogue would have done something similar.
Most of Chanel & Versace's haute couture collection from the 90's are still unknown for a generation. The same for Margiela, Lang, Sander, Alaia.

I don't think i've ever seen the whole Dior RTW FW1999 yet.

Try harder Voguerunway!

29-08-2015
fashion insider

^^^ I just don't think they care.

They could easily have an intern program that creates and maintains a rich archive. Easily. Maybe the cost of developing a management team and server rates put them off the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if such a proposal was instantly scrapped because there would be a cost-- no matter how small, that cut into their overall budget.

The e-commerce web presence is what they're interested in investing in and profiting with-- not creating a dedicated, extensive archive for fashion fans.

01-09-2015
fashion elite

Bye bye style.com, you were a loyal companion.
Hello Vogue runway

Last edited by gazebo; 01-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
01-09-2015
fashion icon

I don't see a difference between the sites anyway.. it looks like style, the same layout and the pictures are the same maybe no Tim Blanks but it's really similar to style.
I was really expecting a better and high quality archive but oh well. i guess it's style bistro for the old shows.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
conde, ecommerce, nast, runwaycom, site, site or, stylecom, turns, vogue