How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-05-2005
no photos, no photos

travis--I don't make any money when I sell things at 75% off....by that time you just want it gone and hopefully you've sold enough at full price or at a moderate discount to break even.

11-05-2005
V.I.P.

Interesting discussion, especially about those Prada robots.

11-05-2005
fashion insider

Yes, and thankyou Lena..you've been so informative!

etre soi-meme

you are welcome, my pleasure arturo

12-05-2005
backstage pass

This is how it works in our stores...

250% mark up from the price we buy the line in at...

For example...a pair of Evisu jeans...costing £235...

we'll buy them in for around £15-£20 a pair, depending on what size of order we have and what kind of relationship we have with their agency reps or credit management companies and so forth...it varies from shop to shop...or what part of the world the store is located in relation to the country it's manufactured in.

Regarding the production cost...those 1 pair of Evisu jeans retailing at around £235...you're talking about £2-£3....which is like what...$5-$6

They obviously have all their overhead costs to take care of...

If i stick those jeans on sale at 50% off, we're still making a sizeable profit.

It's the same for the rest of the clothing industry, just a less dramatic % increase.

12-05-2005
backstage pass

You also get their agency reps taking a slice of the pie...

so therefore their production costs have to be at a minimum.

There are other methods, for example buying on credit, and paying a slice of the profit back on each single sale..and what you don't sell, you send back.

Then you get newly established labels offering their lines for sale...and taking a commission out of sales on their gear..that's just purely for them to get out there and gain as much exposure as possible, with the boutique taking on no extra risk...

12-05-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaime

we'll buy them in for around £15-£20 a pair, depending on what size of order we have and what kind of relationship we have with their agency reps or credit management companies and so forth...it varies from shop to shop...or what part of the world the store is located in relation to the country it's manufactured in.

Regarding the production cost...those 1 pair of Evisu jeans retailing at around £235...you're talking about £2-£3....which is like what...$5-$6

If i stick those jeans on sale at 50% off, we're still making a sizeable profit.

It's the same for the rest of the clothing industry, just a less dramatic % increase.
That's absolutely shocking!!! £15 to £235? Is that the norm? I can't believe that.

12-05-2005
spoilt victorian child

^ That cannot be normal. jhaime, how many jeans do you have to buy in order to get that price...?

12-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:

I don't believe it.

12-05-2005
no photos, no photos

ummmm....where are you getting Evisu at 15-20 a piece. That's unheard of unless you're going through an off price source. Hell, I even got Yanuk jns from an off price source to drive my margins and they were still $30 per pair and the real wholesale price is between $60-89.

12-05-2005
backstage pass

Firstly, you do realise that £20 is like...$45-$50...

Secondly, If you're paying that amount for Yanuk then you're literally being taken to the cleaners somewhere along the line.

We stock the whole Evisu range, so therefore we have a contract based form of ordering, it isn't like some retailers who are always waiting around for some extra pairs...

and yea, the production cost of Evisu isn't far off the production price of most 'designer' jeans. It's the other areas, like design, management and agents who contribute to the higher prices.

I mean, Red Dot is made in the same factory as Evisu, yet their prices are 1/5 that of Evisu's.

Maybe now you'll start believing. It's all just one big rip off, yet we love it.

Chris, what? the normal wholesale price is $60-$89 ???

They go down to like $110 in sales...

If you're paying that for them I wouldn't bother stocking them and I know what I'd be telling their agents...:|

12-05-2005
front row

This thread is fascinating! I knew that larger more expensive brands were often made in the same factories as lower brand items, so that's really no surprise. But nice to see confirmation of that.

12-05-2005
spoilt victorian child

Uh...I still don't get it? You said you do a 250% markup...so if you're retailing the jeans for £235 that means you should be buying them at £94 a pair. If you buy them for £20, that means you're selling them at 1200% markup. So is the £15-£20 price you quoted your estimate of the production cost per jean, minus the overhead costs (management, distribution, etc)? Because normally those costs are simply factored into the wholesale price of the merchandise...

Last edited by droogist; 12-05-2005 at 03:27 PM.
12-05-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Firstly, you do realise that £20 is like...$45-$50...

Secondly, If you're paying that amount for Yanuk then you're literally being taken to the cleaners somewhere along the line.

We stock the whole Evisu range, so therefore we have a contract based form of ordering, it isn't like some retailers who are always waiting around for some extra pairs...

and yea, the production cost of Evisu isn't far off the production price of most 'designer' jeans. It's the other areas, like design, management and agents who contribute to the higher prices.

I mean, Red Dot is made in the same factory as Evisu, yet their prices are 1/5 that of Evisu's.

Maybe now you'll start believing. It's all just one big rip off, yet we love it.
sorry, but i don't believe you at all...
a friend of mine is the owner of a shop that carries MiuMiu, Armani and Dolce&Gabbana...all of this labels are working with the same calculation...if the wholesale price of a MiuMiu shirt is 100€ the shop price is 250€...
why should Evisu make such a different calculation and less profit than other labels...
buying something for 20 pounds and selling it for 200 pounds is unbelievable...

12-05-2005
etre soi-meme

in anycase, point made is that most boutiques have a X3 or a X2.5 up from the wholesale price.. apart -obviously- from jhaime's boutique

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cost, production