How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-01-2009
V.I.P.

Men rent tuxedos all the time ... those are sometimes pretty high end. And you can rent bridal gowns too. There are places in L.A. where you can rent gowns, high end and not ... so it's not a new concept at all. Here's the one that I've seen near where I live:
A Designer Gown Rental Store
1726 S Sepulveda Blvd
Los Angeles, CA, 90025
Telephone: 310-047-4780

The good news is that if it's been sucessfully done before, it could work for you, too ... if you are able to do it right.

Last edited by BetteT; 24-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.

24-01-2009
V.I.P.

I googled and found some info:

USAWeekend.com
Issue Date: August 12, 2007

Quote:
Runway rentals

A look at a burgeoning trend in the world of style: renting luxury items for much less than what you'd pay to own them.

By Natalie Ermann Russell

You'd be hard-pressed to find a woman who hasn't, at one time or another, coveted that way-too-expensive purse in the window of some high-end store. Not in our wildest dreams could we justify such an indulgence. But there is a way to partake in such opulence without busting the budget: You can rent high-end clothing, bags and accessories for a fraction of the price.

New jewels can freshen up old looks. And renting them from sites such as borrowedbling.com lets you experiment for less.

"In today's society, we're obsessed with luxury items," says Extreme Makeover host and fashion expert Sam Saboura. "[Renting] allows people to experience something they wouldn't normally get to. It's like opening a box of chocolates and getting to sample all of them."

Think of it like leasing a car or joining Netflix. For a membership fee (about $5 to $15 per month), plus a cost per purse (anywhere from $20 a month to nearly $200 a week), you can rent designer handbags from fashion sites like BagBorroworSteal.com or FromBagstoRiches.com. Many of the items available are straight off the runway or out of the pages of celebrity magazines. Spot a lovely gaucho bag on Charlize Theron's shoulder in "Us Weekly?" Now you can sling that same purse over your arm for just 10% to 15% of the original price. It's not yours to keep, but if you just can't part with it at the end of the rental time, some sites will allow you to buy the item.

"Rentals let consumers switch out quickly changing trends without making the big financial commitment of buying," says Cynthia Nellis, About.com's expert on women's fashion. "Exclusive resources have already existed [for years] that let celebrities, their stylists and socialites delve into vast fashion libraries for a fee [Wardrobe and Albright are two], so the idea of borrowed luxury is nothing new."

Bag Borrow or Steal's Patricia Hambrick attributes the popularity of "borrowed luxury" to the Internet generation. "People's whole idea of having to own things is very different than it used to be," she says. "They are OK with not owning things forever. Ebay is a good example of that." Handbags, in particular, are quite popular, she says, because most women just can't get enough. "They can change their handbags as often as they change their outfits. And everyone can participate in this trend. You don't have to look like a celebrity to carry a handbag," Hambrick says.

What to expect
"Check for reputable companies and read the feedback online," says Saboura, who recommends being cautious when using sites where you can "swap," rather than rent, items. And always read the fine print. "Make sure you understand time limits, all the costs involved (insurance, shipping, membership fees, etc.), what condition the rental item will be received in and how it should be returned," Nellis says.

Also, check that what you plan to rent will be authentic. "On one jewelry rental site, many of the gorgeous pieces cost hundreds to rent, so you would assume they're the real thing," Nellis says, "but read closely, and you'll see most of the jewels are actually diamond-cut crystals."

Why wouldn't ya?
With all the upsides to renting, there are still some reasons not to. "After a while, when you add up the cost -- $19.95 a month, plus optional insurance, and a $9.95 round-trip shipping fee -- it makes the most sense to just buy the $235 bag and wear it for years," Nellis says. Save the rental service for getting a taste of the more out-of-reach $1,500 bags.
Renting dresses has its negatives, too. "You can't alter it to fit you perfectly," says Joanne Stoner, CEO and founder of eDressMe.com, a site that sells dresses and gowns. "And someone else has worn it."

Where's this going?
"Fashion for hire levels the playing field," Nellis says. "You don't have to be a fashion insider or a celebrity to know what's hot in Paris, and you don't have to be rich to carry a designer bag. It's not unrealistic to think that soon there may be rental kiosks or storefronts in malls so customers can touch or try on before they rent."

Last edited by BetteT; 24-01-2009 at 05:26 PM.
28-01-2009
scenester

How about WeCouture (Community funding designer). The concept is: makes community as prosumer (producer and consumer). Community gives some money to desirable pitched design by designers. WeCouture allows an individual or group to take control of particular design as their interested in by sharing the cost (crowdfunding) to commission freelance designers to make niche fashion product.

1. An individual or designer creates a pitch (visual needed) that outlines a special design (in bags, dress, etc) in a local community (or broader).
2. Members of the community vote, with their money, on what design are most important/interesting to them.
3. A Designer gathered all aspects and puts together a fashion designs. Community weaver (moderator) provide check-and-balance on the design with voters (community/producers).
4. Once the final design published, they will be makes into real fashion product only for voters (community who vote with their money/producers) for free.
5. The rest community members (non-voters) interesting in the published fashion design should pay more to own their couture.

28-01-2009
rising star

I forgot to say in my post that you should take into account those who regularly rent tuxedos and suits like those in high school. Many of them are going to their senior prom so some are more likely to just rent since they are going to use them only once. Also they are more likely to become bigger in the next few years making them thinking about renting a tuxedo rather than buying one. Make sure you have what they want, their sizes etc.

windowshopping

thx!
Thanks guys for all your feedback! It's all very very helpful! My concept of the store is that it will be a high-end, upscale boutique that will cater to the same clientele as the designers who will be featured in our store. I really appreciate all of your help and advice and will keep you posted with updates!

05-02-2009
rising star

Yes please do.
We're all interested on how your fashion business will turn out in the future.
If you have time, please also post pics of your store here. All of us will be delighted to see it.

windowshopping

Hire Clothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mteb123 View Post
I just wanted to know if anyone out there knows anywhere l could hire clothing in London, looking for vintage, unique pieces. Have relied on the Charity shops so far but l'm running out of space to keep all these things l've acumilated over the years, so l really need to find somewhere l could hire stuff, any help would be appreciated.

Hey ! I know that in Paris you can rent from Vintage stores if well negotiated , I know you asked for London but Paris is a train ride away

20-12-2013
windowshopping

I've been looking through the forum threads and trying to find out more about where I could locate historical gowns (for example, Valentino dresses) to be used in a shoot.

I was thinking a rental situation/costume place would be the answer. But I have no idea in SF/South Bay!! Can anyone give me more info about perhaps where to go or what sort of rates I'm looking at? A point in the direction would be greatly appreciated!!

21-12-2013
V.I.P.

High end resale shops might have a few vintage designer gowns, but they will want to sell them ... not rent them.

The only place that I can think of, that might have any selection at all and is willing to rent them out, is at some the costume houses in Los Angeles. Western Costume in Hollywood is one. Universal Studios has one behind it's backlot, if they still do that. There is one in North Hollywood/Sun Valley area, but I forget it's name. There are more .... I just don't have the information handy. I found them by Googling. I know that they are not in your area, but it might be worth a trip down here.

You will have call ahead and find out how to set up an account with them or how you need to cover possible loss and or damage and about how much time you for returns and if you can ship them back ... but it's not as hard to do as it sounds. Then you can shop in their warehouses ... they have stacks of racks, up to the ceilings, miles and miles of wardrobe. They have huge ladders that roll, so you can get up there. Bring an assistant to help lift things down to the rolling rack they will lend you. Each type of clothing will be in it's own section, so vintage gowns will probably be in one area of the warehouse. Of course, you will need to know what's real and what isn't, if that is important to you to be authentic.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-12-2013 at 12:48 PM.
03-01-2014
windowshopping

Thanks again Bette!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accessories, business, clothing, designer, rental, rentals