How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2005
front row

Designer Clothing / Accessories Rentals
I just wanted to know if anyone out there knows anywhere l could hire clothing in London, looking for vintage, unique pieces. Have relied on the Charity shops so far but l'm running out of space to keep all these things l've acumilated over the years, so l really need to find somewhere l could hire stuff, any help would be appreciated.

10-04-2008
scenester

How to start a shoe rental business?
How does one go about starting a shoe rental business for stylists, etc? How do you acquire shoes, regular & high end? Any info is appreciated

12-04-2008
fashion insider

This is a difficult prospect considering you would have to go around collecting shoes, meaning costs come out of your pocket. And since good shoes are really expensive, this is going to cost you. On top of that you have to buy multiple sizes of each shoe because all models don't have the same size. In addition, what are you going to do when 2 stylists want to rent the same shoe at the same time? See what I mean? I would recommend studying how the website http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/ works. That's probably the business model that comes closest to what you want to do.

Good luck!

TWITTER:
17-04-2008
scenester

Thanks Educo, good points! It does seem interesting though

20-04-2008
windowshopping

Just one more thing to add... I often help out on Magazine photoshoots and the items which we don't usually loan out from Retailers are shoes. We usually prefer to credit shoes as "Stylist of Model's Own". This is because of the nature of shoes being almost like a new car. Once you have taken them out for a spin, they are basically useless for selling on at full price. Of course if you put on masking tape and do the shoot in a studio, it might be ok but in terms of setting up a successful business I think the odds might be against you. Also to extract any decent margin from it you would you have to turn over some many loans. Most stylists would rather get what they want, when they want and in terms of a consumer borrowing from you, I know they last thing I would want to do for a wedding/formal/cocktail party and so forth is get into shoes which half the clientele have worn already (Medically focussed)!

Anyway, these are just drawbacks, you never know what the demand will be like! Goodluck!

20-04-2008
scenester

In reference to shoes, I have seen very constructive comments in the thread about becoming a fashion stylist. I haven’t had the chance to read the entire thread but the very little I have seems very useful.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ist-10408.html

20-04-2008
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

What kind of stylists do you plan to market this toward? Most, if not all, fashion editorials show items that weren't paid for, they are on loan from the designer/pr house. Perhaps if someone is up and coming and is having a hard time getting samples this could be good, but even then, they may be tight on cash. I think I remember seeing a site like this before, but I would be interested in finding out who this is for

21-04-2008
scenester

Well, I do freelance styling myself and I've rented shoes and I was wondering just how they do it... It does seem like a profitable business if you have a wide selection of current season and vintage shoes. Also to the person who was mentioning wear, that's not really an issue being that the shoes are just going to be used for editorial or in some cases film. That's why its renting...

07-05-2008
V.I.P.

OK from a non industry point of view.. i work in a shoe shop were the shoes are all out in pairs and all it takes is one wide footed person to try on the shoes any they are ruined and stretched. shoes mold to your foot shape.. also they have the ability to atttract dirt and dust from carpet and lmainate flooring is the worse onto the sole .. its very easy to tell when shoes have been worn it would be a hard job trying to discuise it ... but good look to you sounds like a niche market

08-05-2008
fashion icon

When I first read this thread I wasn't sure, because magazines would usually borrow current season shoes (or next season's, more often) from the designers themselves or their PR companies, as they have a selection of shoes which they keep aside to send out as samples. If they really need to they can pull it off the shop floor and be VERY careful with it.

But then I came across this article here about a woman who owns a store and a shoe rental business:
http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2008/...ove_shoes.html
Here is the beginning part of the article:
Quote:
When designers and costumers need a little inspiration, they know where to go: Girls Love Shoes. The Lower East Side treasure trove houses thousands of vintage shoes, some from as far back as the 1800s, serving as a historical archive of footwear, a resource for industry insiders, and a great online boutique for aficionados. Sisters Zia and Dana Ziprin learned the vintage ropes from their mother, a model and stylist who opened her own vintage store in California in the sixties. When Dana began sourcing shoes in California, it didn't take long before they amassed 2,000 pairs (imagine that shoe rack!) and opened the rental service. Now Zia, a former fashion designer, runs the new boutique as she prepares to launch her own shoe line this August. We pulled her aside to find out what pair of shoes she'd never part with and why a $700 pair of shoes is actually worth it.
Her point of difference was that she had a massive range of vintage and unique shoes, which are useful for I suppose designers, magazines, other media outlets, perhaps even students, films, costume designers, etc. I really encourage you to read the article and if you do want to start a shoe rental business, work out what will make your service worthwhile to use - as if you want current season/next season's shoes, it is cheaper (ie, free) to borrow from the PR company or the designer themselves.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful

08-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBeej View Post
(...) Also to the person who was mentioning wear, that's not really an issue being that the shoes are just going to be used for editorial or in some cases film. That's why its renting...
Film/TV and photoshoots are quite different. Small flaws, scuffs or so which often go unnoticed in cinematography or video (though true high definition video is more challenging) are far more visible with still imaging (photography). Shoes can very easily look shabby. Of course it depends on the photoshoot and the shoes. Sometimes it can also be well retouched, sometimes it's very difficult (=very or too expensive) to photoshop.

Models should never ever wear own shoes they use for photoshoots excepted while ready to shoot. It's also annoying when the provided shoes aren't in absolutely pristine condition but of course when you (or the stylist) notice it it's likely to be too late.

Blunier

23-01-2009
windowshopping

A Designer Clothing / Accessories Rental Business?
Hey guys,

I was thinking about opening a boutique which would rent out designer dresses and accessories for affordable prices (think Bag Borrown and Steal only in real life, a bit cheaper, and with party dresses and formal gowns).

I'm not in the fashion industry, I'm just a fan, and I've never done anything like this before so I'm looking for general feedback to whether or not you think this is a good idea or not.

I would do this in San Francisco, or New York. I know plenty of investors and some of the local media circut ppl. I'm 24 and a girl

what thinks you!?

Thanks in advance!

24-01-2009
rising star

Hmm, difficult to tell if it would be a success or not. Somehow you wonder who is the target group for a business like that. If you have much money, you would probably buy your own designer stuff, and if you're one of those who doesn't have much money, then you are more likely not to "waste" money on designer stuff and go for budget. With that said, I guess the target group would be the people with less money, but the problem there is, that most of those are not willing to spend a lot just for a bag (I suppose?). A prom dress, a wedding gown etc. is different, but just a bag.. I wonder? I wouldn't invest a fortune on that idea, try with small steps and start with a smaller business, then you'll see if it's worth to expand or not.

Then again, if you are mainly going to keep gowns and dresses, you realize that the competition is hard. So to stick out from all the dress boutiques out there, I'd go for hard to find couture dresses and make them affordable to the average bride for that special day. That could maybe work.

24-01-2009
I am half-sick of shadows

I have to say that, personally, I wouldn't "rent" clothing...I have a Bag, Borrow & Steal gift certificate which is sitting around unused for this very reason...but BB&S does seem to be successful so obviously this is a concept that people like.

You might want to take a look at Girl Meets Dress, a UK based website that rents out designer clothing.

24-01-2009
rising star

I haven't seen anyone renting designer clothes here in my area even though it is a big city. However, I myself would not rent designer clothes though I'm a man so I don't know for women.

Regarding the business, I agree with getpalmd that you have to first to study the market. Is this your first venture? You really need to plan a lot more and get every little bit of details. Create a business plan, it is really helpful and beneficial.

It's okay even though your just a fan... I mean most of us get started in the fashion industry as a fan right?

Since you know a lot of investors, then you are already at a good start. Just be sure to always protect and ensure your good credibility with them and also with your stakeholders once you already opened your business.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accessories, business, clothing, designer, rental, rentals