How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-05-2009
rising star

Im studying design now and I soo wish I had done academic A-levels rather than creative subjects. I would definately drop textiles for English, or history. They will come in useful for anything you want to do later.

09-06-2009
scenester

I'm having this little dilemma about my education..
Like many others I want to work at a Fashion magazine, but I don't know which education I should do. It's not possible to start with journalism .. I'm considering: assistent styling (making patterns,drawing, working out concepts).. Would this be a decent starting point for a fashion career in magazines? I'm not really interested in making patterns etc, but the only other options are design, productioncoordinator & business stuff.

V.I.P.

There are 2 specific threads about magazine careers that might have some insight for you:

How to Get Work at a Fashion Magazine & Get to the Top

What education you need to do to get into magazines??

01-09-2009
blink once. blink twice.

If you wanted to be a stylist for a movie...what major would that qualify under?
& Do you take any art courses for this type of job...?
I'm taking Art History in college right now...and I honestly don't know
if I really need it or not.

V.I.P.

there are costume designers who study theatre/production design^ and there have also been fashion designers who've designed for movies. both will have taken some form of history studies

just an idea

01-09-2009
Fashion Designer

you definitely need broad history knowledge as the best movies to style are the ones with a specific theme that could be futuristic like Ultraviolet or Medieval sort of like the lord of the rings but if you just want to style contemporary movies, psicology basics are a must, when the director-producer gives you the characters for the movie, as a stylist you should dress each character according to their own personality, every single detail is based on a psicological/social profile of each character.

Last edited by daniellat; 01-09-2009 at 12:36 AM.
01-09-2009
V.I.P.

psychology.. what an interesting answer :-) thanks daniellat

02-09-2009
windowshopping

The degree I'm doing at Central Saint Martins is called BA Womenswear, which is design. However there are also theory-based fashion courses, and London College of Fashion has a range of different ones from journalism to marketing. Try looking up fashion-specific universities, or even art schools near you if you don't want to move away.

03-09-2009
blink once. blink twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellat View Post
you definitely need broad history knowledge as the best movies to style are the ones with a specific theme that could be futuristic like Ultraviolet or Medieval sort of like the lord of the rings but if you just want to style contemporary movies, psicology basics are a must, when the director-producer gives you the characters for the movie, as a stylist you should dress each character according to their own personality, every single detail is based on a psicological/social profile of each character.
Quote:
there are costume designers who study theatre/production design^ and there have also been fashion designers who've designed for movies. both will have taken some form of history studies

just an idea
Thank you so much. Yeah, I decided not to drop my Art History class. I think after you've mentioned it daniellat, I might take up some psychology courses. & I think I might take some film &video or theatre/production! You guys helped a lot.

windowshopping

I want to be a stylist and i do not know what i should look in for college and i need to start looking into colleges because i am a junior in high school. Can anyone help me?

09-09-2009
V.I.P.

it's in this thread
All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

the search function here is very good for finding various careers in fashion. just click the dropdown menu link near the top of the page/forum and then choose "search titles" ...typing in stylist, etc. whatever you're looking for. all topics have been organised by career for easy searching
good luck!

09-09-2009
V.I.P.

Just a quick answer before you go off and read the Stylists thread ... you should read it all ... the whole process is in there.

Stylists do not usually "study" anything in particular to become a stylist ... it usually happens as a result of being in the buisness and/or knowing someone who helps you get started ... and having a certain "eye" for what looks right ... and the guts to promote yourself and the business skills to keep it going.

Although, there are a lot of things you can study which will help you build a basic knowledge that can help later in your career. Anything art related ... art theory (for learning about color, shape, texture, proportion), art history, theatre and costuming, even history of any time period will help build basic knowledge about what people have worn and the influences around them that impacted fashion, plus learning how things change and yet stay the same, too. And then there are business classes ... because being a stylist requires that you are must also be a good business person. So busness math, entreprenurial studies, marketing, adverstising ... all of those skills are needs to work sucessfully as a stylist. Nothing is useless to a stylist .... it all comes into play, sooner or later.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.
15-09-2009
front row

what do i need to study in order to become a bookings director/editor

30-10-2010
windowshopping

Now .. I'm only seventeen years old. I have so many dreams .. & I TRULY would appreciate a kind answer .. of your thoughts, it would mean a lot.

I want to start something of my own in the future .. something like Bape, if you know what brand that is. You know, shirts, sweaters, jean designs. More of like a "high end street fashion" brand.

Is it better for me to get into Fashion management than Fashion design? Because with design, I have graphic designing skills down, in order for prints/shirt designs. And I guess when I build up from that, I could start finding places to make actual garments? ..
I feel like, Fashion management would set me up for the business of it all. Since I want to be my own boss .. :/.

Thanks a lot you guys, this forum is def. a help in order to get out my dreams .. ^^'

p.s,
OH. & Would Parsons or FIT fit better for me? .. Because Parsons has a DESIGN & MANAGEMENT major .. :O

Last edited by DreamonGood; 30-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.
30-10-2010
V.I.P.

I think that if you plan to run your own company, then Fashion Mangement is the best choice to be a sucessful business person and actually build a brand. Many sucessful people who own lines, don't actually do the designing, but they guide the designers that they hire and busy themselves with the business of fashion. So, you can always hire people to design for you while you build the company ... you just need money to get it started ... lot's of money.

However, in the beginning, if you plan to design and actually create your own line, then studying fashion design is also important and probably comes first. You will most likely work for someone else to learn the ropes of business and maybe have to take additional classes in fashion management and all the business stuff.

It's very, very hard to do both, so I think you need to focus on what you love the most. So you want to design ... be hands on with fabric and patterns, etc.? Or do you want to run a business?

Last edited by BetteT; 30-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, education, fashion