How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2009
scenester

Instituto Europeo di Design (IED), Milan
hi all
i'm applying Instituto Europeo di Design
and i want to know more about this school.
planning to attend the school in milan.
how was your experience and/or what did u hear about this school?
please help!

25-07-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by venjeans View Post
hi all
i'm applying Instituto Europeo di Design
and i want to know more about this school.
planning to attend the school in milan.
how was your experience and/or what did u hear about this school?
please help!

Hi there venjeans!!

I ve just graduated from IED Milano in 3 years fashion & textile design...i guess i can help you... eventhough i dont want to start by saying negative things but unfortunately i need to say i m extremely dissapointed with IED! of course in each school everything you learn depends on you but here in IED Milano everything is a mess seriously! It lacks professionality in every aspect and it doesn't really give you a scope that a school in Italy should give you! Actually i was unhappy from my first year but i kept saying maybe it was me but then each year i saw my classmates were leaving one by one and the ones that did continue were unhappy like me! i sincerely dont know anyone from either my class or from other classes that was satisfied with the school! Again maybe i didn't get to know the right people but still even the mess with the organisation of the school is enough to give you a headache everyday trust me!!!!

27-07-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Hi there venjeans!!

I ve just graduated from IED Milano in 3 years fashion & textile design...i guess i can help you... eventhough i dont want to start by saying negative things but unfortunately i need to say i m extremely dissapointed with IED! of course in each school everything you learn depends on you but here in IED Milano everything is a mess seriously! It lacks professionality in every aspect and it doesn't really give you a scope that a school in Italy should give you! Actually i was unhappy from my first year but i kept saying maybe it was me but then each year i saw my classmates were leaving one by one and the ones that did continue were unhappy like me! i sincerely dont know anyone from either my class or from other classes that was satisfied with the school! Again maybe i didn't get to know the right people but still even the mess with the organisation of the school is enough to give you a headache everyday trust me!!!!
wow i really appreciate for the info!
i know a lady who graduated there and now she became assistance designer for Giuliano Fujiwara.
anyway how about Instituto Marangoni?
hows their rep?
how about one-year course in fashion? is it worth of taking?
anyone?
thank you in advance!

29-07-2009
V.I.P.

In Italy

Accademia del Lusso http://www.accademiadellusso.com/

Domus Academy http://www.domusacademy.it/ita/index.php

Istituto Europeo di Design http://www.ied.it/

Istituto Marangoni http://www.istitutomarangoni.com/it/

Istituto Secoli http://www.secoli.com/

Polimoda http://www.polimoda.com/it/home.html

rising star

What do you think of: Fashion Studies at Stockholms Universitet?
I am considering starting Fashion Studies (Modevetenskap) at Stockholms Universitet but would like to know more about the program and courses.

Anyone in here that is studying Fashion at Stockholms Universitet or has studied any of the courses?

What did you think of the teachers and quality of the studies?

Centre for Fashion Studies at Stockholms Universitet: http://www.fashion.su.se

30-08-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by venjeans View Post
wow i really appreciate for the info!
i know a lady who graduated there and now she became assistance designer for Giuliano Fujiwara.
anyway how about Instituto Marangoni?
hows their rep?
how about one-year course in fashion? is it worth of taking?
anyone?
thank you in advance!
^ yeah this is an interesting question. Are their 1-year courses worth taking and worth the money? How about their paris branch?

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashtastic View Post
I am considering starting Fashion Studies (Modevetenskap) at Stockholms Universitet but would like to know more about the program and courses.

Anyone in here that is studying Fashion at Stockholms Universitet or has studied any of the courses?

What did you think of the teachers and quality of the studies?

Centre for Fashion Studies at Stockholms Universitet: http://www.fashion.su.se
I just started the Basic Levels at Modevetenskap at SU and I'm really enjoying it. If you're aiming for fashion on an academic level, this is it. I think the following courses will be even more interesting and fun, but so far it's very interesting and the topics are various. You discuss and analyze fashion in a different way than you probably did before.

Barely on my first course, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

16-10-2009
front row

What are good schools to study fashion styling/promotion in Scandinavia?

06-12-2009
windowshopping

Instituto Marangoni
Hi everyone! Im new on the forum and this is my 1st post... Im 18 years old and next year I would like to take a gap year before going to university. Throughout this year I would like to take a fashion related course and people have talked to me about doing it at Instituto Marangoni..
I would like to know if any of you has/knows any references about this school (whats it like, etc) or whether you could recomend me some other school in Paris or Milan for a one-year programme.

Thank you for your help!

06-12-2009
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, artlholic!

I merged your thread with the general one about Euro fashion schools ... mainly because we don't get a lot of students from Instituto Marangoni posting here ... so we don't have a separate thread ... as we do for some of the more popular fashion schools.

But there is some discussuion in the this thread ... I did a seach of it and found these posts where the referenced the Intituto: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sea...rchid=14287392

Of course, if anyone sees this who might have something to offer ... please share.

19-12-2009
windowshopping

Question
Fist of all, I hope the length of my post isn’t too “lengthy”…And Bette, forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong place.

Well, I have finally decided to go with my soul – better late than never. I’ve been out of my element for far too long and my life is totally unfulfilling and miserable because of it. Now I am trying to identify the right ‘next’ move to help me reach my goals, which I’ve had in the back of my mind for several years.

The essential objective (which would only be the beginning) is to launch my own menswear company. I have many, many mental pages of banding/marketing ideas, target markets, designs, possible accessories, etc, etc, etc…

I’m confident it will work if I could just put it all together like it is in my head. Sometimes I want to “just do it” but there are so many fundamental & technical aspects of fashion and design that I do not have experience with. I crave the knowledge but the last thing I want to do is waste a few more years of my life in a fashion design school and not receive the right return on investment of time and money. The knowledge gained and time saved is way more important to me than another degree.

I already have a degree in Business Administration, with a focus in international relations. I have about 5 years of professional experience at the helm of a business development organization. But, there is no connection to the fashion industry and I cant see how success here will take me to where I want to be. I’m burned out and ready to reflect who I am through my career.

Below are some of the essential points I’m looking for, as it relates to my initial product and target market. These are just off the top of my head:

• Classes in English (I speak Portuguese and some Spanish but not fluently enough for courses)

• Hands-on learning and freedom to express ideas

• Solid course(s) on fabrics – especially natural/organic fiber materials (market trends, projected demands, innovative materials, etc…etc…)

• How to best translate your designs (sketching?), take them to the next level, and convert them into real product

• Building and strengthening a solid business model i.e. – Identifying the right manufactures, sustaining quality control, target market critiquing, marketing/sales.

• Assistance/Strategies in creating a STRONG network in the right areas of the global fashion industry.

I am particularly interested in European (or British schools), due to certain style infusions and target markets. What I have read about the IED 3-year international program was really appealing until I read all the negative reviews. (Barcelona is the target location for my project start). I’ve also been interested in the Northumbria University School of Design, mainly because of what I read about a partnership project they had with J Barbour & Sons (One of my benchmark companies).

There are so many choices out there and I’m just trying to narrow the list down. I am certainly grateful for any guidance provided on which schools sound like they may be a good fit for me. I know I’ve provided basic info – so if anyone has any specific questions, please ask!

Thanks!

Last edited by O Leao; 19-12-2009 at 07:59 PM.
20-12-2009
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, O Leao!

This is fine to post here since you are inquiring about European fashion schools ... and I hope someone can give you some ideas.

We have threads on some of the more well known schools and this generic Euro thread as well. So, if you do a search by thread titles and enter the names of cities you might be interested in ... like Paris, London, Milan, Antwerp, etc. ... you'll find more threads about specific schools in those cities.

Also search by other keywords like "business" education, courses, career, design" ... and you will find other somewhat related threads that will have helpful information that might interest you.

21-12-2009
windowshopping

Accademia del Lusso
I am going on a course in fashion design of this university at this moment
Did anyone of you tfs members go to this university or is going now.
Could you provide me with some information about the quality of it please thanks in advance

08-06-2010
windowshopping

polimoda or marangoni
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthestaircase View Post
i've spent a few days clicking through this place and gosh, this education forum is awesomely helpful
after reading so much, i'm seriously considering Polimoda and Istituto Marangoni. i'm a fashion management undergrad and is planning to exit my current course with a diploma and pursue a degree in the same field in Europe. from the info that i've sourced, Italian fashion schools seem to focus alot on the business side of fashion, hopefully that's the place where i should be. thanks everyone for providing all the info
hi,
from what ive gathered via forums and student reviews the 2 best schools in italy are polimoda or istituto marangoni.ive already got a BA hons from LCF.im considering applying to the 3 year patterncutting(womenswear and menswear) program at polimoda or the postgrad MA in patterncutting from istituto marangoni. i have heard on other forums that tutors in Italy are rude if you dont speak italian and treat foreign students with contempt. having studied there which would you say is better polimoda or marangoni, both in terms of course content and staff behaviour? also is it difficult to find accomodation in italy or do both institutes have dorms
thanks
rito

08-06-2010
windowshopping

help! i need info on italian fashion universities- polimoda and marangoni
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermosaStyle View Post
you can also try Polimoda Institute in Florence, my cousin goes there!
pls
can you ask your cousin about the womenswear and menswear patternmaking undergraduate course? i need info from students studying at the institute.ive studied in the UK before at LCF( london college of fashion) and it was a COMPLETE WASTE of time and money.they teach you nothing.just want to ripoff foreign students and the tutors are absolute racists.ive posted an article about what really goes on in fashion universities in the UK. hope i can prevent someone else's dreams from being crushed by some greedy money laundering fashion university in london.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...courses-faults

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
european, fashion, schools