How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2005
rising star

Fashion Agents
I have heard of this before, but I am not sure if it exist. Fashion Agents. What are fashion agents, do they exist? What do they do, and how does one get/find them?

thanks

19-08-2005
backstage pass

A fashion agent holds the designer's collection in their showroom so that store buyers can make appointments during fashion week to view it and place an order.

Depending on what the contract is between the agent and the designer, a typical day would include liaising with the designer to find out how the new collection is taking shape, or how manufacturing is going (will the stores receive their orders on time?), chasing payments from stores, calling buyers in to see a new collection etc. They work on a commission basis, usually taking 15% of each completed sale.

They would hold several collections every season in their showroom to ensure they make enough commission to make it worthwhile - but it's also better for the buyer if they can see many suitable collections at one time. Agents try to have complimentary collections...nothing too similar that they conflict yet not too different that they will appeal to different buyers.

They may also show on the designers behalf at trade fairs in other countries/cities in order to bring in more business.

Some also act as press agents, but usually pr and sales agents are separate.

Finding a good one isn't easy and you need to find an agent who will work with you and respect your collection and believe in what you do. It depends on what you design and who you want to sell it to, but some agents are only after the money and will sell to anyone who asks. Others will hold out to sell only to the best stores as this obviously has greater longevity.

http://www.rainbowwave.com/ is a sales agent for designers such as Cacharel, Tomas Maier and Rafael Lopez.

Sorry if this doesn't make complete sense, it's late and I'm really tired!

19-08-2005
rising star

Actually, you made complete sense. I understand everything you explained to me. Thanks for the website too.

thanks

20-08-2005
backstage pass

I'm glad you understood! Are you looking to find a fashion agent, or become one?

Some agents who aren't in a major fashion city tend to travel around in a car visiting stores etc. I know Italian agents tend to do this because there are so many independent boutiques in Italy, and the buyers are quite lazy, so it's the best way to make sales. I'm not so keen on this method as I think it presents things quite badly...but if it brings in the business...

20-08-2005
rising star

I was just wondering what it was for future purposes. I was wondering what it was, or if it was good to get one, for the future.

thanks

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agents, fashion