Fashion Design Colleges /Schools with Journalism programs /courses? - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2006
windowshopping

Better sooner than later. One should only be too eager to learn.

22-03-2006
tfs star

^Could not agree more!

Now, back on topic! So far we have Parson's. There must be something else in New York with a decent fashion/journalism program!

windowshopping

Well I just got into Fisher College in Boston and I heard they have a great Fashion program but im not sure about Journalism. Im actually really nervose about the move from Philadelphia to Boston though.

04-04-2006
backstage pass

I was on a tour at Boston University and asked them if they offered a specific journalism major focused on fashion... the girl kind of laughed and said they'll never have something like that.... RUDE?

Anyway.. I'm looking into journalism yet my interests span all over the board- from fashion to all sorts of humanitarian things.

before we all go under

05-04-2006
windowshopping

Bostonians are known for being quite rude and having the attention span of a grapefruit. My closest friend lives there and is dying to leave. With that being said though, it is still a very nice place and you can make you stay a pleasant one.

Also, I do not believe that there is really any undergrad "fashion journalism" major that is readily accessible. A fashion journalism major seems to be much more vocational like makeup and cosmetology. Therefore it is more advisable that one go to school majoring in areas that broaden your knowledge of writing, writing styles, speech, culture, fashion, and media, etc..

I do know that the London College of Fashion offers several fashion journalism courses for postgraduates. They also offer a multitude of courses I think would be excellent and beneficial to someone pursuing fashion.

But...

Having a belt of degrees means very little. The question is not what institution did one acquire his/her learning. The question is - Can you write? Can you be critical? Can you construct an objective thought? Can you deliver an understandable message that is relatable? ..and.. What work do you have to show?

So all-in-all, it would be great to have a course like the one we all seem to be requesting in this thread, but its not critical if we don't because we will need a little more than a course to prove worthy.

05-04-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamoreux
Having a belt of degrees means very little. The question is not what institution did one acquire his/her learning. The question is - Can you write? Can you be critical? Can you construct an objective thought? Can you deliver an understandable message that is relatable? ..and.. What work do you have to show?.
i could not agree more. i think what you can do at this time (pre-college) is try to intern with either fashion magazines or publications, designers etc. you will gain experience and knowledge in your field, which ultimately is what's going to impress future employers.

Good luck

06-05-2006
windowshopping

isn't NYU known for journalism? i don't know... maybe i am wrong.

No, I am just mesmerized by my own thoughts.
07-05-2006
windowshopping

I'm not sure if NYU is in fact known for journalism however; they do have an undergraduate and postgraduate journalism program. The department of journalism for NYU is under the school's College of Arts and Science.

14-07-2006
V.I.P.

For Journalism...
Columbia University is TOP school for journalism. I bet my wardrobe, trust fund, stock portfolio that if you graduate from Columbia with a journalism degree you'll get a (related) job in the fashion industry...of choice!

Last edited by smartarse; 14-07-2006 at 08:31 PM.
27-08-2006
front row

I searched fashion schools and I got this thread. Ideally, I'd love to design, but fashion journalism will be plan B so this is the perfect thread. Oh my god. School scares the **** out of me. I've checked Art Institutes all over the US. I've checked the colleges mentioned on here. I'm irritated.

27-08-2006
V.I.P.

Columbia, NYU, either or are pretty good and will offer you great networking in print and media. You'll need a strong knowledge of fashion history, aesthetic analytical skills, and a strong base in liberal arts. go for it.

FIT is more of a technical school and doesn't lend itself well to the liberal arts. If you want to be a writer, editor, publisher, etc, you don't want to go to a design school. FIT does have a a great fashion museum though (and a great graduate program for fashion history). A bachelors in language or journalism with a masters in fashion history would set you up nicely.

28-08-2006
scenester

[quote=Glamoreux]Bostonians are known for being quite rude and having the attention span of a grapefruit. My closest friend lives there and is dying to leave. With that being said though, it is still a very nice place and you can make you stay a pleasant one.

Well, excuse, but i happen to live there and the ppl are quite friendly

windowshopping

FIT has fashion journalism under the advertising communication and marketing major the only problem is there are no minors or double majors at Fit So it would have to be one or the other . It would be great if you could do both but as far as I know that is not possible

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
colleges, design, fashion, journalism, or courses, or schools, programs