Fashion Design Colleges /Schools with Journalism programs /courses? - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2006
tfs star

Fashion Design Colleges /Schools with Journalism programs /courses?
I have been thinking about different fashion colleges that I might try to get into in the future, and I've been researching them, trying to gather as much information as I can!

I'm interested in FIT and Parson's in New York, but I hear that they are really good and will most likely be really hard to get into.

Which would be good colleges located around the New York area that have a good fashion design program and some sort of writing or journalism department or course as well? I would love to be able to major in fashion design and minor in fashion journalism or vice versa. :p

I've read in several different websites that people with a fashion design degree could alternate between working in magazines as writers or editors as well, but is that pure fact?

I realize I have loads of questions, but help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks a lot!!!

tfs star

One last thing. I've heard mixed messages about FIT in the general fashion school megathread. Some say they like it, some say its horrible. Does anyone have any additional input about it?

windowshopping

Hmm, I think Luella studied Fashion Journalism at St. Martin's or one of it's affiliate schools, but typically I don't believe that journalism and design degrees are particularly interchangeable.

02-03-2006
doing it

Well, Parsons is part of the New School University...so if you went to Parsons, you could also choose from a vast range of other electives at the New School University. I'm sure they've got some journalism classes, and I know they definetly have writing classes.

I have a journalism bachelor degree and and fashion design associate degree.

05-03-2006
tfs star

^ Really? So if you go to Parson's you can take courses in other majors within the same school? That is so amazing! Karma for you!

07-03-2006
windowshopping

You might want to contact the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. Clearly, it's not New York - but they have started a pathway in fashion journalism in their fashion department. You would end up with a BFA in Fashion with a Major in Fashion Journalism. It covers news and feature writing, show reporting, research for journalists etc.

18-03-2006
windowshopping

Wow, the Academy of Art University in San Francisco seems to have a really good program. Does anyone know of any programs like this in New York? Im sure The City has to have some great Fashion Journalism program somewhere.

18-03-2006
tfs star

^That's what I'm searching for too. The Academy of Art University does sound great, but I'm looking for schools in New York.

windowshopping

Exactly. I want to be able to have a ready opportunity when it comes to interning for a mag. Would serve more sense to school in the city you want to work and intern in.

19-03-2006
windowshopping

In that case you might want to think about a journalism course - rather than fashion journalism. I think, even internationally, fashion journalism degree programs are quite rare.

Think about journalism with an idea of focussing a lot of your papers towards fashion writing.

19-03-2006
tfs star

Is it possible to find a good school that has both? An opportunity for a fashion degree and journalism conveniently in the same school, or am I simply dreaming here?

windowshopping

Well the thing for me is that it's not so much the degree that I am concerned with, but the knowledge in such a program. Like a fellow tFS member said, walking into a major magazine and waiving around a degree will only get you laughed out onto the street - and I very well agree.

The reason why I am so interested in a "fashion journalism" program, is so that I can not only soak up some great journalism skills and techniques, but soak up those specific to fashion standards. I want to be able to focus my writing, reporting, praising, and critiquing in a style that is appropriate for my field, so that I can be at least somewhat prepared to start my career.

Im avid about schooling in new york because I believe new york is and will be your "extended office" in a sense. Hopefully others may understand this and provide any necessary insight.

20-03-2006
tfs star

^That's what I mean. Like having a degree in fashion with journalism electives/classes for knowledge, etc.

Also, if you do not mind me asking, how old are you?

windowshopping

Im 18 ... 19 in August.

21-03-2006
tfs star

I feel too young to be researching this! But I guess it's never too early to start.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
colleges, design, fashion, journalism, or courses, or schools, programs