How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2006
V.I.P.

book smarts isn't always the best.

22-07-2006
V.I.P.

yeah. well, i definitely can say that i have witnessed people in fashion school who got more out of it because they had the passion inside of them, then on the other end, there were girls just doing it because their parents want them to go to school...for anything.
i know lots of designers that end up dropping out of school because you get opportunities being in school.
it depends on how you want to enter the industry to. do you want to come out with your own line right away or work under someone?
I think that basic skills and understanding of construction are the most important things. I've interned with girls that never had any college education and it was a big struggle.
Maybe taken the basic classes like draping and patternmaking are key...

23-07-2006
Seductress in Eden

I think designing is alot like being an author... many teachers want you to be more like someone else instead of just expressing yourself... if you really want to be a designer bad enough you would have a general knowledge of what does and doesnt work in the haute couture shows etc... i dont think a degree is needed... im a designer and i dont have a degree

23-07-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

what????
since when???...you are NOT a designer...
you are NOT an author...
you are DELUSIONAL....ENOUGH......

23-07-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Donna Karan dropped out..
but eventually got an honorary degree...

i think calvin dropped out too...

but that was a VERY different time and the competition was not as stiff..
things don't work the same way these days...

23-07-2006
V.I.P.

your right soft grey.
I also definitely have to say, that you need a general knowledge and some formal education to go far in the fashion world. The more independent you are without having to rely on someone else they have to hire to do your tech packages and the more you communicate with people like sewers and patternmakers the better you look.
competition is stiff.

24-07-2006
crossed wires.

I think basically now, it's essential to get a degree in Fashion to become a fashion designer...the only way around it otherwise, is if you do have an enormous amount of talent and contacts that are out of this world (i.e your parent owns a label).

Even with a degree now it's still really difficult to break into fashion design...namely wanting your own label or designing in a top fashion house. High street design teams are a bit easier to get into. The thing with getting a degree too, is the contacts that you'll gain through it...it would be very difficult to get contacts in design houses otherwise...

V.I.P.

your right.
i was going to mention that while in school you are exposed to a major amount of people (teachers who work in the industry, people currently in the industry that can help) and opportunities ( first pick on internships etc)
It also prepares you to be responsible and work under pressure.

06-08-2006
backstage pass

School is very, very important.

That said, here are a few off the top of my head. People without Fashion or Art degrees(but possibly other degrees):

Chanel
Vivienne Westwood
Donatella Versace
Kate Spade
Diane Von Fürstenberg
McQueen went to CSM for a masters, but hated it.
Armani

I left out designers who started when fashion schools didn't exist (i.e. Worth, Rose Bertin, etc.).

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".
06-08-2006
chaos reigns

Donatella doesnt have a degree?

That kinda explains it ...

fashion icon

if you do look at those "20th century" designers..it took them a longer time to get to the top spot they are at today

people does take designers now that have a degree more seriously than those who dont..unless that person is ultra talented
not saying that you cant self teach..but it takes longer than going to school and learn there

i mean..look at proenza schouler and zac posen..so young..yet so famous

07-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
Donatella doesnt have a degree?

That kinda explains it ...

That and a few connections...

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".
09-08-2006
crossed wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU
not saying that you cant self teach..but it takes longer than going to school and learn there

i mean..look at proenza schouler and zac posen..so young..yet so famous
There is a danger of just not developing as well if you're self teaching...it's really great to be in a class full of loads of students all with different styles...because it really broadens your horizons and stops your collections getting stuck in a rut, you'll see things that inspire you from other students designs and illustrations and that will help you develop your ideas and in the end become a better designer.

fashion icon

Raf studied Industrial design and then had private lessons from a Tutor at Antwerp in tailoring. He also had an internship with Walter Van Beirendonck.

A fashion degree is not essential but you better get the same skills and knowledge from somewhere! And it's extremely hard to get them without going to a college program. For example (like raf above), Mcqueen worked freelance and was offered a job as a tutor at CSM without a degree, but he also had spent several years on Saville Row learning tailoring.

So if you aren't going to go to college to study it then you make it even harder for yourself, much much harder, but it's not impossible. Good Luck!

31-08-2006
scenester

the sisters at Rodarte (a new Wintour fav) started totally last minute. They majored in like...idk English or something non-fashion related, and one of them was waitressing to pay for the materials up until the second collection! They hand sew everything and are incredibly young and talented however. It's a bit of inspiration for you starting out though!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
degree, designers, fashion