How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashiongirl1 View Post
Naw... I really mean figure drawing by itself and fashion art class all by it self. Which would you take first? Because everyone talking about taking figure drawing classes thats why I am asking.

Thanks
i've never heard of a fashion art class...
what's in it?

22-12-2008
windowshopping

Help for the development of the World's 1st fashion sketchbook
A Little bit Background
When I was studying in fashion school, I got an idea of a sketchbook specially designed for fashion designers but at that time I didn't do it as I was busying with my final year collection. But about 3 months ago, I decide to make it real, I quitted my job and started collecting informations and data and making sketches.

After 3 months, I finally make them presentable to the public (thanks for some comments made by the TFS members who I send the idea to their private inbox) and I really really want some feedback of this book or using the template from some people in order to improve it.

Idea:
Combine a sketchbook with time saving fashion information (Library Part) & semi-transparent fashion templates (Laboratory Part), inspired from Moleskine or some tool books.

What's in the 30 pages of Library part:
  • 500 designers list
  • Measurement tools
  • Body Measurement system
  • 10 basic patterns
  • Specs Sheets
  • Typography and Boards
  • Books and Bookmarks list
  • Fashion events
  • Textile information
  • Monthly Calendar
  • Contact Sheets
How about the 180 pages of Laboratory part:
  • Figure templates
  • Technical templates
  • You can download the templates here to try
  • or watch the video demos of how I use it
  • The template is made semi-transparently so the users can treat them as blank pages

Contribute
:

I hope that the fashionary can bring convienient to fashion designers and fashion students, they will bring this book out to research or for daily use, so all feedback which help the development are appreciately welcome.

For details of the project, please visit: fashionary.org

Last edited by Samaki; 22-12-2008 at 12:48 AM.
22-12-2008
windowshopping

Feedback
I support the whole idea of the book!
especially the textile information as well as the size measurement!

Yet, it wold be great if you develop another one for Menswear design.

22-12-2008
windowshopping

Thx for your comments,
I will include a menswear designers' version if things go well... like people actually like using the book or some distributor like the ideas and give me a hand for publishing them.

22-12-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksjuliana View Post
I was wondering what types of templates work best for designing clothing? Do most designers use a finished croquis? IE: makeup, hair, skin tone? Or is it easier to draw clothing on one that is basic and black and white, mainly for the silhouette?

I would also like to ask if Prismacolor is the best marker to use.
In my experience, designers mostly use a perfected figure in a basic pose and generally keep the same face/hair.. when designing first draughts, don't get too fussy. I am usually recomended to start in balck and white; then copy and try different colours/combinations...
I think Promarker or Pantone are the best markers...

23-12-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
i've never heard of a fashion art class...
what's in it?
Wow, you haven't?
I have they have fashion art and design classes in F.I.T.

They also have

I said fashion art and design in my first posting asking the question. It did not seem like the responder understood so I just went to fashion art to see if anyone would understand me better.

Okay what about just replacing that with fashion drawing class? I do not see the difference but....

23-12-2008
V.I.P.

Thanks --I checked the FIT website for the course desc.
Did you take it? I'm curious about the intro to 'design journals' and 'presentation formats' Sounds interesting

Anyway it sounds like it is pretty in depth
You cover a lot of things: design theory, colour, rendering fabrics, etc so I would rather take that class too

The figure drawing class is just suggested here because it really helps when drawing the body. There is no teaching of design, etc. in figure drawing class. I think really any practice, drawing from real life, from observation will improve your skills...

23-12-2008
V.I.P.

Samaki thanks for telling us about your book
I noticed in the video you draw next to the figure templates. Maybe some people would like to trace over bodies? Or draw their clothing designs over unclothed figure templates

24-12-2008
fashion elite

I took a 4 week fashion illustration class I don't think it helped a lot.... ahha maybe it as just me

01-01-2009
windowshopping

I think the book is a fabulous idea! Very in depth, in tune....great idea.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
Samaki thanks for telling us about your book
I noticed in the video you draw next to the figure templates. Maybe some people would like to trace over bodies? Or draw their clothing designs over unclothed figure templates
Thanks for your comment gius, no, I am not drawing next to the figures templates, I am drawing on the template, but the template is not very visible, because I don't want to limit the designers by the template, so with the template barely visible, the designers can write anything freely on it.

Maybe you can download the templates and give me some feedback, which is all appreciated welcome.

12-01-2009
rising star

For learning to draw figure I highly suggest you guys to read Loomis' Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. I think this website has an e-book for it: http://fineart.sk
Also check out his other books. I really learned how to draw the figure through his book.
For fashion illustration, I don't think you need to go into the detailed anatomy of the human figure. Just the basics will do. But further knowledge won't hurt either.

Samaki, your sketchbook looks promising. It will really help a lot of designers out there.

windowshopping

Sketching Accesories Help!!
Hello ,

I was wondering if any of you know of any websites or books that help with sketching accesories .My main focuss is really hand bags I currently need alot of work with drawing in this area any help would be appreciated . Thank you so much !

RC

17-10-2009
windowshopping

Fashion illustration books
I need to buy a (how to draw) fashion illustration book so I'm just looking for ideas and what the best one is to get in your opinion?

17-10-2009
windowshopping

I have a few fashion illustration books and quite the enthusiast myself. I'm not sure where you stand in illustrations-- are you just getting started? honing your skills?

I really like Fashion Sketchbook by Bina Abling. It's actually a textbook for school, but it's really great. It has a wealth of knowledge hitting different areas such as drawing the croquis, menswear, childrenswear, specifics of accessories, rendering fabrics etc. Some things are step by step, other sections give you visuals as examples (which I think is great, it gives you more freedom). I think this book adheres more to industry standards of how to draw clothes and models.
Fashion Illustration by Bethan Morris is great for really the illustration aspect. It's more artsy, so to speak. It shows you how to keep a useful sketchbook, artistic techniques using different mediums, etc. Kinda hits different sections briefly. For a taste of inspiration, there's a section on different illustrators with some of their pieces and an interview portion.
I'm hoping to buy Contemporary Fashion Illustration Technique by Naoki Watanabe. I was reading some of it at the book store the other day, and I think it's also great. If you have a good grasp of croquis (or if you don't, has a section on it too) this book really goes into detail about how to render fabrics using different mediums, and other specifics. I like how thorough it is.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help (:

Last edited by jellslove; 17-10-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added more details
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, croquis, fashion, illustration or sketching or drawing, templates, tools