How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellslove View Post
I have a few fashion illustration books and quite the enthusiast myself. I'm not sure where you stand in illustrations-- are you just getting started? honing your skills?

I really like Fashion Sketchbook by Bina Abling. It's actually a textbook for school, but it's really great. It has a wealth of knowledge hitting different areas such as drawing the croquis, menswear, childrenswear, specifics of accessories, rendering fabrics etc. Some things are step by step, other sections give you visuals as examples (which I think is great, it gives you more freedom). I think this book adheres more to industry standards of how to draw clothes and models.
Fashion Illustration by Bethan Morris is great for really the illustration aspect. It's more artsy, so to speak. It shows you how to keep a useful sketchbook, artistic techniques using different mediums, etc. Kinda hits different sections briefly. For a taste of inspiration, there's a section on different illustrators with some of their pieces and an interview portion.
I'm hoping to buy Contemporary Fashion Illustration Technique by Naoki Watanabe. I was reading some of it at the book store the other day, and I think it's also great. If you have a good grasp of croquis (or if you don't, has a section on it too) this book really goes into detail about how to render fabrics using different mediums, and other specifics. I like how thorough it is.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help (:
Cool thanks I'll check those books out, well I've been drawing and playing around for quite a few years so I'm looking to brush up on my illustration skills and find my own style really. I'm doing a textiles degree so I'm doing illustrations for my designs, also I guess i need to learn how to draw the simpler technical drawings aswell if that makes sense?

My friend recommended Fashion Artist: Drawing Techniques to Portfolio Presentation by Sandra Burke, have you looked at this one yet?

27-11-2009
fashion insider

do you guys prefer coloring the sketch with markers/color pencils or coloring it with photoshop?

01-12-2009
rising star

^
Watercolor/pencil crayons

Reason being is that it can create almost any color and it's fast. Markers are good too, but it lacks in color diversity. So i tend to not use markers a lot.

I don't like using computers to do my fashion illustrations. Only flat sketches.
I'm open to the idea of translating my original illustration on photoshop, but I would not do the original on the computer.

But the thing with computer is mere preference. It too have its advantages.

01-12-2009
scenester

I agree about the water colors lovely day. I rarely every colored my drawing until I discovered water colors. I love how you can make just about any color and how delicate and pretty a pic looks when you're done.

06-12-2009
windowshopping

i am about to send in my portfolio... i have a quick question!

did you guys add your signatures on your sketches? i'm a bit hesitant to sign my sketches as it may ruin the mood/vibe. what do you guys think? should i sign my sketches or not?

26-12-2009
front row

Markers (such as Prisma and Copic) are ideal for fashion drawing, though it's hard to use at first. If you have a space piece of marker or tracing paper, you can table in a marker in it (so that it's just the ink) and use a colorless blender marker to absorb it. That way, when you apply it on your drawing, it won't be as highly saturated and you can control the amount of color intensity. Think of it as watercolors, but for markers.

Gauche and markers became an industry standard for fashion drawing back in the 70s I believe.

Using Photoshop (or any digital painting medium) is slowly starting to become more popular with contemporary fashion drawing, though it can be difficult to use if the person does not have a drawing tablet and experience digital painting. But the benefits to digital painting is that you can easily overlay textures/details, erase mistakes and apply lighting. It can almost rival fashion photography (I feel), if it's done properly...

12-01-2010
front row

are there books that are helpful for aspiring fashion illustrators? any good resources, sites, blogs? what type of paper is the best?

12-01-2010
front row

romeoelliot - I highly recommend Nancy Reigelman's 9 Heads book, I studied under her last spring. It's kind of pricey but covers traditional fashion illustration from start to finish (from croquis to menswear to how to create ethnicities, garment detailing, etc).

As far as good illustrators, I highly recommend...

Old school fashion illustration
- Rene Grau
- Antonio Lopez
- Alphonse Mucha
Modern fashion illustration
- Marguerite Sauvage
- David Downton
- Autumn Whithurst

Books
- 100 Years of Fashion Illustration (Cally Blackman) - great index that features fashion illustration from the early 1900's to today. BEST compilation of fashion illustration, most other fashion illustration books don't cover as much as this book. About $40, but you can get them used for about $20.

For starting out, simple computer paper and pencils are a good start. As you advance, a higher quality of paper (white bristol paper, great for color pencils/ink pens/pencil/etc). There's also marker paper (thin/barely transparent paper) + copic or prisma color markers are the best, though it can be difficult to handle at first (the markers bleed very EASILY)...

Hope this helps!

12-01-2010
front row

thank you so much, neonsprinkles.

really great info. time for me to shop. can I get all the supplies that you mentioned in barnes & nobles/amazon? should i go to an art store?

14-01-2010
front row

romeroelliott - don't worry about it, glad to help You can most likely find the books (at a cheaper price) online at Barnes & Nobles/Amazon.com

As far as the art supplies, it'd be best if you went to an arts and crafts store for that (for the basics, such as paper/pencils/etc). For Marker Paper + Copic or Prisma Color Markers, you may need to go to a specialized arts store if they're not available - note: marker supplies are pretty pricey.

Hope this helps!

15-01-2010
front row

neonsprinkles, you're really helpful. most people wouldn't even bother to answer. just out of curiosity, are u a fashion illustrator?

18-01-2010
front row

romeoelliot - no worries and I'm currently an illustration/motion design major, I do fashion illustration for fun

21-01-2010
front row

neonsprinkles, your illustrations are great. Took a look at your profile and you're young, you'll have a terrific future ahead of you. I'm starting pretty late, definitely need to catch up.

Last edited by romeoelliott; 21-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.
07-06-2010
windowshopping

hey, i have the figure drawing for fashion design by the pepin press and the illustration for fashion design 12 steps to the fashion figure by gustavo fernandez books. now i would like a book of how to make my figures and clothes not to look so stiff. can anyone recommend me some good books? or a website with some tips. thank you
these are my fashion illustrations. i have started this year to draw fashion and i just took some non credit classes and the most i learned with much practice and alone.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/att...5&d=1275619307

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/att...7&d=1275619307

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/att...9&d=1275619443

28-08-2010
front row

Do you guys clean your illustrations up with photoshop? The papertone and adding details etc?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, croquis, fashion, illustration or sketching or drawing, templates, tools