How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-09-2005
rising star

I went through the threads on this forum where people posted their fashion illustrations. I printed out the pictures and sorted them in what I considered newbie to pro order of how good the pictures were. (Remember fashion drawing is technical, you are not just drawing a nice picture, you are trying to show detail of the piece. The ultimate goal if you are trying to work for another company or have your own company with a patternmaker is that the patternmaker should be able to produce a pattern from your sketch that is very very close to what you visualized the final piece looking. So when I sorted them I didn't look at the actual good/bad drawing skills, I looked at whether or not I could completely visualize the final garments or if I still had questions)

Okay anyway so after I sorted them I started with the least detailed drawings and copied them over and over until I got them right. Then I went onto the next one. Until I got to the pro ones. Then I took pictures from some fashion magazines and tried drawing the pictures. I filled a whole notebook. THEN I started working on my own drawings. By going through other people's drawings I started to be able to point out to myself what things made the sketch work and what didn't.

That was the only way I could do it because I felt that I had no drawing skills and so going through those steps helped me. It might not work for you but I thought I'd share incase it did.

03-09-2005
crossed wires.

welcome to tfs rockitgirl that sounds like a very concise way around something...I'm glad it worked for you

More Old Skool Than You

That's how you do it. If you look at my drawings, you might see some real faint sketch marks, especially in the face area. I start out with stick figures and build mass from there.

crossed wires.

Well for the first time I'm being taught how to do fashion illustrations on monday...so perhaps I'll have something to bring back here monday evening

rising star

Thanks a million guys... for my portfolio I just traced the outlines of models and drew the clothes on to them. You're help was really helpful. There's art classes and your not actully supposed to know as much as I though!

They will be teaching me but I think I'll try your ways, just to be sure.

(Legs are hard!)

rising star

I got accepted today

a dim capacity for wings

congratulations
keep us posted

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

congrats!!!!

07-10-2005
windowshopping

Fashion Templates
Hi,

I was thinking about creating my own site, selling fashion figure templates, 10 fully drawn and traceable A3 and A4 templates. Do u think this might sell?

Thanks a mil

Me xxx

07-10-2005
windowshopping

PS: $9.95 for 10

16-11-2005
windowshopping

i have taken many art classes, but the best work i have done was on my own time. If you go to an art supply store you can get a paper that is almost see through and just copy from magazines. It helps in developing shapes and contours, It also gives u a good feel for different body types and different positions. After a while you should be able to do this on your own. Hope i helped

17-11-2005
backstage pass

a little off topic, but how do u 'embellish' a scanned image on photoshop???

fashion icon

I find drawing from live models with cloth draped around them is the best way to begin. This helps you establish proportions as well as how to work with perspective and foreshortening.

Draw people. Carry a sketchbook and when you can draw them. Gestural sketches tend to be more helpful then long and developed poses. Copying from a magazine can also be helpful, you learn what kind of lines can make certain shapes etc.

I came from a product design background and learning to draw technically in what is called "tight line" (extremely crisp clean lines) really allowed me to draw quicker and with more precision.

I would suggest learning to draw the traditional way before attempting fashion illustration, it will make it so much easier.

another very helpful thing is to take up watercolor painting. If you can take a class on it I would suggest it. Mediums such as markers and ink/watercolor are popular (it all depends on your style) and learning how to model with pigment rather than just line or value (traditional drawing) will make fashion illustration easier. Color pencils are also quite popular but I never really figured out how to use them properly.

I would focus on:
figure drawing (from life!)
drawing clothes from magazines
clean technical drawings
and painting with watercolor and markers

what you find to be the most helpful depends on your style and you may end up discarding all of this information.

A good book is "9 Heads". check it out at the libary (it costs around 80 dollars). It's a very good and easy introduction to fashion illustration but prior art experience will make it much easier. good luck.

19-11-2005
windowshopping

thats some good advice that Mutterlein gave i couldnt have said it better myself.

19-11-2005
More Old Skool Than You

I wouls stress anatomy. Just because I think you need to understand how the body makes clothes twist and drape. Go here: http://d538518.u320.bigcrawler.com/F...ing/figure.htm

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, croquis, fashion, illustration or sketching or drawing, templates, tools