How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2006
backstage pass

Practicing is really the best thing you can do, I have come so far in my drawing skills over the past few months by simply by practicing several times a week. Also there are many exercises you can do to help you better understand the human form and proportions, you can probably find them in any fashion drawing book. Also simply observing clothes and the way the fabric falls on the body can greatly improve your drawing. Life drawing and drawing from magazines etc. can also help a lot!! And until you perfect your form, templates are great litle helpers.

22-04-2006
Eat me, drink me

You're most welcome, fab_fifties_fille!

I have a Prismacolor box of 72, and they seem to last forever for me! I've had it for quite a few years now, and have only replaced a few pencils.

Maybe I'm not using them enough : /

V.I.P.

^Not bad, JR1. The only thing is that his torso is a bit twisted or a little floppy in the middle. The outlines should remain a bit more straight, especially for a fashion figure. The advancing leg is also thinner in your drawing*
I found some images of walking poses similar to what you're doing there:
here and here (3rd in the first row)

And to people who are interested in more model templates, there are other links to them here all at FashionSpot--You just need to search (But I think maybe there's something wrong with the search function now? It doesn't seem to want to search for words in posts, only in thread names.)
Maybe this should be merged.

23-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
And to people who are interested in more model templates, there are other links to them here all at FashionSpot--You just need to search (But I think maybe there's something wrong with the search function now? It doesn't seem to want to search for words in posts, only in thread names.)
Maybe this should be merged.
i think ur right about that. cuz before i posted any questions, i searched for every word i could think of. templete. model. drawing. things like that.

28-04-2006
windowshopping

Ive just realised that unless u willing to pay for them, you stuffed if u cant draw. I had to pay. Im so glad i did, cuz now i use them over and over, even edit them on the pc. It comes in handy DrShadow....

30-04-2006
front row

sheselectric: you can easily do that with prismacolour markers... it may take a bit of practice but you'll get there everyone's been at that stage at one point.
oh.. and for fashion templates..just draw your own and make copies of them... that's what ms. jane francis from csm told me. yeahhhhhhhhh...

02-05-2006
Eat me, drink me

For anyone who has used them:

Tria Pantone markers vrs. Prismacolor markers?

I haven't used them, and I want to know which do you like better, you know, pros and cons.

front row

prismacolour markers are really good... they blend well... they're super super great for fashion illustration (works even better on marker paper)
i think i've used tria before..i can't really remember...but i think it was good as well

04-05-2006
Eat me, drink me

Hrmrmr, well thanks uberQ. You know, tria sells little 'theme' sets, there's even one for fashion illustrations (and for architecture, and others I can't remember). Which I guess is a good value, since it has a few flesh-toned hues as well as hm, brighter colors. Prismacolors I guess I'd have to start from scratch to build a palette like that. Arg, I'm undecided.

I wish I could give both a try before buying.

More Old Skool Than You

I like the Prismacolors markers, especially since they're matched to the pencils. I like using them on vellum or even watercolor paper. I good way to blend is to get some lighter fluid (yup, like for a Zippo lighter) and get it on a cotton ball and use that for blends. The faster you use it after the line is laid, the more dramatic the blending.

Another trick is getting rid of those damn lines when you're coloring something. What I do is I pick a shade or two lighter than what I'm trying to do. Then I color it in and if I have lines, I flip the paper over and fill in the other side, so the whole sheet is soaked in color.

And whatever colors you're using, always start light and build up your darks in steps.

PS: the Prismacolor clear blender marker is worthless.

tfs star

Ooh, great tips fourboltmain! I love using good quality markers too.

I have a question: I love to make an ink drawing and fill it in with markers but the ink runs a little when the marker is applied...what kind of ink pen should I be using?

06-05-2006
More Old Skool Than You

India ink, waterproof India ink. I use that with brushes.

But an easier method is doing the color first, then the ink. I like using transparent paper, so I can see the original below. I tape the sheet to the top, add the color, and then go over with ink.

tfs star

Thanks!

10-05-2006
backstage pass

when it comes down to fashion illustration...it's really not like riding a bike. you have to constantly practice. drawing it.day after day. i use to set aside a minimum of 1 hour everyday for practising my illustration. that was back then. now...i sketch when i get idea
's in my head. although i still need to learn how to draw suits correctly. ha ha...

25-05-2006
front row

Does anyone have a good fashion figure template???
Does anyone have a good figure template as i love design but I can never get the "designery" proportions right (skinny waist, long legs etc...) Please???

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, croquis, fashion, illustration or sketching or drawing, templates, tools