How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2006
Fat Karl

When I sketch, I like to elongate the neck and legs. I also like to give the legs an S like curve. The key, I find, is keeping the sketch simple and...flow-y? Try looking at some Victoria's Secret pictures of models standing up to see the shape of a model's body, then just adjust to fit your taste. Once you've gotten the body down, draw it in pen. I do this so I can trace this body for when I designing mulitple outfits. Once you've traced the body, just lightly sketch the clothes on top. AND...squint a lot, you'll be amazed at how different your drawings will look when you squint. You'll see mistakes that you hadn't before.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 30-06-2006 at 11:14 AM.

30-06-2006
V.I.P.

thanks for that dior couture, i love your illustrations ALWAYS, the necks always look so chic and gorgeous and you always manage to make such a fantastic piece with felt tips! amazing! i remembered that i thought the illustration in your avatar was by that famous illustrator who did a similar one...but i cant think of his name right now david grey...think think think!

30-06-2006
Fat Karl

Well...all I have are felt tips, so I just use what I've got, I guess! But I've been using colored pencils recently because I've been trying to ad more details than usual...I posted some new illustrations in the desginer sketches thread.

30-11-2006
windowshopping

Practice really makes perfect, i realise that the pictures i did in my first year look NOTHING like the ones i do now, from project to project your technique improves.

windowshopping

Not much response here, so i'll help. Go here. There are also some free things to download, the nine heads template, and also technical drawing template.
Also try metrofashion.com

windowshopping

i defetnly agree with that. man. my drawings have improved so much since last year and i've only been doing it one year.
before i had to trace a body cuz i couldn't even draw a body. now i'm drawing bodys easy. makes my sketches so much better =]

13-06-2007
windowshopping

Croquis!
Hi, I've been looking online for croquis, but haven't found any good ones that are for fashion. Please list any good books you know, I have the Bina Abling series, or websites!

-"Coco" Chanel
17-06-2007
fashion icon

i know im not helping much in terms of what you are looking for. but i just want to say, maybe you should try and draw your own croquis. it will help you alot with drawing the clothes because you get a sense of how the body curves.

29-12-2007
front row

I am self-taught drawer, and I've been sketching for one year so far. This is some of my work -it's not coloured because I haven't found any pencils I like. Any recommendations are appreciated-.

Last edited by Allure; 29-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.
29-12-2007
trendsetter

wow, great job sketching! especially for someone self taught. I would recommend drawing shoes to get a better sense of the outfit, and drawing the backs of the sketch as well, perhaps with an interesting detail on the back? other than that, keep em coming! ^.^

fashion elite

WOW ur just like me!!! i taught myself how 2 draw too!!! But sadly im not as good as you.

30-12-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Lass334 View Post
wow, great job sketching! especially for someone self taught. I would recommend drawing shoes to get a better sense of the outfit, and drawing the backs of the sketch as well, perhaps with an interesting detail on the back? other than that, keep em coming! ^.^
I find it mostly impossible to draw shoes on the model . If you click on the second sketch, you'll see I draw an uncovered back (barely perceptible due to the lack of colour).

Thanks for your nice comments.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
I am self-taught drawer, and I've been sketching for one year so far. This is some of my work -it's not coloured because I haven't found any pencils I like. Any recommendations are appreciated-.
*please remember to not quote pictures*
to save bandwidth

For a self taught drawer, your really good. I love that Shirtdress.

Last edited by gius; 30-12-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: please see tFS Guidelines for more info
30-12-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi25 View Post
^^^That kind of drawings are kind of useless...I's important to understand the clothes, how they are made, the faces does not matter, it's even better if you don't draw them...try to make some outlines in black, be a bit more concrete...If you want to draw clothes, concentrate on the ideas...

Just some advice..,

Seam Detail is also very Important. You want to demonstrate that you have the knowledge of garment Construction.

30-12-2007
front row

Allure your drawings are good, especially since your mainly self-taught. Some advice would be to work on your head. A professer had a very rough critique on me with my figures and told me not to leave them headless like I had done so many times before since they were quick sketches.
Another would be to work on feet. The feet in the fashion figure are pretty big. A book I would recommend is 9 heads.
And last but not least, PRACTICE, all the time. Do a hundred sketches a day if you have to. Copy poses from magazine. Once you have the figure down, work on the clothes, and the way that they drape around the body. Beginner sketchers usually start with the basic clothes, but as you get more experienced you'll get more inspired to draw beautiful clothes on beautiful figures.
If I have time, i'll try to post some on my sketches. but keep it up!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, croquis, fashion, illustration or sketching or drawing, templates, tools