How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
26-02-2006
  1
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) Los Angeles
I am applying to FIDM and I was hoping if anyone has gone to FIDM or is attending now that they could give me some advice. I'm having my interview in a month and I really want advice on what goes on there, things to say, what to wear and what to bring. I'm also extremly worried about my sketches and was interested on how good they have to be and how to make mine better. Thanks to anyone who replys!

  Reply With Quote
 
26-02-2006
  2
rising star
 
Eshatorres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangiblelove
I am applying to FIDM and I was hoping if anyone has gone to FIDM or is attending now that they could give me some advice. I'm having my interview in a month and I really want advice on what goes on there, things to say, what to wear and what to bring. I'm also extremly worried about my sketches and was interested on how good they have to be and how to make mine better. Thanks to anyone who replys!
dpn't go there their school is horrible their idea of an internship is folding clothes at the gap

  Reply With Quote
27-02-2006
  3
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
well again i am just applying, i havent decided to go there yet. i may choose a different school to attend but either way im going to apply to FIDM if for nothing else at least practice for other schools. So again if anyone has any advice on the interview and sketches i would greatly appreciate them! thanks!

  Reply With Quote
27-02-2006
  4
scenester
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshatorres
dpn't go there their school is horrible their idea of an internship is folding clothes at the gap
well to get to the top you have to understand all aspects of the business so yes you may start off folding clothes at the gap but at the same time you gain experience on what it is like, how they are treated and you gain a better understanding of the whole picture.

Like in hotel business, even though you're working to be at the top as a manager, you still have to work in the laundry room, as a maid, in the kitchen, and as a bell boy. that way you understand the whole industry, broadening your knowledge of the business, not being narrowminded and just focusing on being a manager.

To be at the top, you need to understand the needs, and what people in lower ranked jobs do as their job. Working as a sales assisstant doesnt just involve folding clothes. Theres a lot more to it and thats why you intern there. You gain an understanding of how a clothing shop runs, ideas start springing to mind like how you like or dont like the lay out of the shop and what you would change if it were yours.

I say, dont just think of it as "folding clothes at the gap" think of it as an experience... and theres nothing wrong with that. oh and by the way, you cant judge a university and say its "horrible" just because of working at the gap... That is a GOOD thing.

  Reply With Quote
27-02-2006
  5
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlin
well to get to the top you have to understand all aspects of the business so yes you may start off folding clothes at the gap but at the same time you gain experience on what it is like, how they are treated and you gain a better understanding of the whole picture.

Like in hotel business, even though you're working to be at the top as a manager, you still have to work in the laundry room, as a maid, in the kitchen, and as a bell boy. that way you understand the whole industry, broadening your knowledge of the business, not being narrowminded and just focusing on being a manager.

To be at the top, you need to understand the needs, and what people in lower ranked jobs do as their job. Working as a sales assisstant doesnt just involve folding clothes. Theres a lot more to it and thats why you intern there. You gain an understanding of how a clothing shop runs, ideas start springing to mind like how you like or dont like the lay out of the shop and what you would change if it were yours.

I say, dont just think of it as "folding clothes at the gap" think of it as an experience... and theres nothing wrong with that. oh and by the way, you cant judge a university and say its "horrible" just because of working at the gap... That is a GOOD thing.

thanks for the feedback! Good point on the positives of working at the gap lol i would work anywhere if it helped me get to the top of the fashion community, so i guess if anyone needs some kackis give me a call. if anyone else has anymore advice please give it, thanks!

  Reply With Quote
01-03-2006
  6
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
does anyone have any actual advice on applications, sketches or interview? i really need any help i can get and i hope some of you could share your experiences abour applying to fashion college, thanks again!

  Reply With Quote
12-03-2006
  7
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
I'm posting again to try to keep this post alive, I have my interview in a couple of days and I'm freaking out and I would really, really love any advice you have to give!

  Reply With Quote
12-03-2006
  8
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 2
i went to FIDM, but i was probably the oldest in my classes.i think i was
24 at the time, so i was more focused than the other students.
FIDM is great when you actually take advantage of their resources, such as
their library and predictives, but otherwise... eh...
their job placement is a joke. do you want to major in fashion design?
if so, some of the instructors are excellent and i really did learn a lot from them... but its really what you make of it, like any education.

don't get me wrong, but i wish i took out a bigger loan and
went to otis!

  Reply With Quote
16-03-2006
  9
rising star
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 174
I finally had my interview the other day and it went fabulous! I still don't know what school I'm going to for sure, I'm thinking maybe the art institue in san francisco or f.i.t. but if anyone wants any advice on their interview w/fidm I would be happy to give it!

  Reply With Quote
01-05-2006
  10
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 9
about fidm
Hi Esha,

About FiDM
I think you should let your experience speak for itself. Your visit to FiDM is your answer.

People can say anything they want. The key is always ask advice from someone who looks happy or is happy with their work and/or life.

I'm a FiDM grad and I love FiDM. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I work for a fashion trade publication and we just finished doing media coverage of FiDM LA campus.

I already knew how wonderful it was. Everyone is just so nice there. To me that's enough and it's comforting to know that they are willing to help you. The rest is up to you.

This is the place you need to be if you want to succeed in fashion. I've also had a chance to check out Otis before. It's quite nice and appropriate. but I can only speak from my experience. FiDM LA campus is definitely a good start for a student who is looking to be in fashion. It's a lot easier if you're a FiDM grad.

There are enough resources here at FiDM to satisfy the most toughest & pickiest fashion research experts.

Oh, their LA campus building is just great too. There is the design studio, production room, costume gallery, and if you like fashion and clothing and accessories you would probably be enjoying the folding.. (as you're blabbering with your co-workers and/or possibly talking to a customer at the same time and having fun with it!)

It helps to have good sketches but at the end it's really your passion that will help you. Remember that's why you're going so you can learn. They'll teach you and help you get even better at your passion.(hopefully it's fashion related)

Thank you for listening & all the best.

malkaus

  Reply With Quote
01-05-2006
  11
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 48
Your so right, im graduating from FIDM soon and I love that school!

  Reply With Quote
01-05-2006
  12
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 9
by the way
about blabbering with your co-workers and helping a customer at the same time.. Please try not to be rude. I just meant have fun with what you're doing and not be self absorbed. well just be nice.

thanks again & it's good to hear different viewpoints -malkaus

If you're a fashion student, e-mail me at malkaused@yahoo.com
I would be glad to e-mail you back with a list of online resources for fashion and related industries(mainly LA fashion industry) incl. fashion, beauty, entertainment

  Reply With Quote
09-05-2007
  13
windowshopping
 
rtwprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: california
Gender: femme
Posts: 13
Fidm
I just got accpeted into FIDM
and I wanted to know a little more about it....
I think I will major in visual merchandising or product development and I was just wondering if the school is as good as it appears.....

  Reply With Quote
12-05-2007
  14
front row
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 391
^Rtwprincess, congrats on getting accepted! I graduated about two months ago with a degree in prod dev. What is it that you ultimtely want to do? Because choosing your major will be crucial and both of those are VERY different. Prod dev prepares you for ton of different careers but with visual merchandising you'll be a bit more limitd.

Whether the school is as good as it seems will just depend on what you're expecting. I was happy with everything there...the professors, the campus, the curriculum, etc. Housing is a different subject, lol. If you have specific questions feel free to ask me!

  Reply With Quote
18-05-2007
  15
scenester
 
sanita13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 95
I am getting my associate in fashion in about a year and i am planning on apply at FIDM, within two years will i get my bachelor if i attend there?

__________________
Chic Inspector
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
angeles, design, fashion, fidm, institute, los, merchandising
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.