How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-10-2008
rising star

why?

16-10-2008
front row

well the tour was really disappointing. the dorms were AWFUL so i would have to spend more $ on an apartment and the information session wasn't that informative besides helping me make up my mind between FIT and parsons. i also don't like that it is more "technical" than parsons. i'd rather in a more creative environment.

16-10-2008
front row

also they had a really weird food plan that is required & most of the students there had no sense of fashion which i thought to be a little odd considering it is the fashion institute.

16-10-2008
rising star

hm does sound a bit disappointing. i was surprised that everyone's favorite fashion designer seemed to be betsey johnson- not that there's anything wrong with that but..

and o god, if the dorms were AWFUL than im going to have a big problem. was it really dirty or what? a food plan is required?- that's ridiculous! parsons is so much more expensive than FIT though, how impressive was the parsons tour? this is offtopic, but the parsons thread is kind of dead so..

front row

hahaha nothing wrong with that yes the dorms were awful! and tiny and very depressing! the closet space was practically nothing and i couldn't even open the closet because the doors were jammed. the hall ways of the dorm looked dirty and really old. parsons was AMAZING. i know its expensive but i can't see myself being happy at FIT.

17-10-2008
rising star

i guess the facilities wouldn't be as good at FIT because it is a public school. ive already started my application to FIT and i got my user id and password the other day. i should get going with my parsons application too- what other school are you applying to? i think im applying to fidm, otis, ccad and maybe risd? id apply to csm too, if i knew i could go there! ahh i have to take the ACTs this saturday too. pooooo

front row

does anybody have any information abt he fine arts programme..the associate degree..is it good? bad? mediocre?

front row

the only school i really want to apply to is parsons but i'll probably apply to csm, fit, and risd too.

17-10-2008
windowshopping

How is the Advertising and Marketing Communications programs? I've heard that if you're looking for pretty much that side of the industry, the program is great.

19-10-2008
windowshopping

and does anyone know how parsons is in comparison for a martketing/communication program?

21-10-2008
front row

I don't think the dorms at FIT are awful at all. I have a suite and I was surprised by how big and clean it was. My friend has a dorm at Parsons and it looks like a jail. But then again, I've only seen a few of Parsons dorms. And FIT isn't going to be full of fashionable people because they have all sorts of majors there, not just fashion design.

22-10-2008
front row

really? you must be in a different building then the one i viewed. which parsons dorms are jail-like? i want to make sure not to be in that one

22-10-2008
front row

Marlton was crazy. Maybe it was because my friend had a single but just don't get that one if you end up applying. And Loeb as well. It wasn't really jail-like, but it was old, a bit dirty and cramped. I've heard the dorms on 21st are really nice though. A bit more expensive and further away, but a lot nicer.

23-10-2008
trendsetter

k so i take like saturday and sunday classes at FIT and i think i want a go there but i really just want to go to a regular collage with like a campus and stuff but i dont want my career in fashion to get f'd up so if i went to regular collage would i be screwed?

rising star

i know a few people who have gone to places like OSU and is currently in the fashion business right now. they've designed for like a&f, limited too and justice mostly though. may be because they live in ohio though. i certainly think going to FIT and schools with a strong fashion program will help because networking is important i think. i mean im sure some designers have graduated from regular colleges and have made a successful career. im no professional on this, but just my opinion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attending, fashion, fit, house, institute, open, technology, york