How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercbray View Post
I guess it looks like I'll be the only tfs'er there.

Is anyone applying for the fall 2014? I'm submitted my application earlier this week so now it's just the waiting game and it'd be nice to have someone to obsess over it with.
I've applied for Fall 2014. I'm super nervous/anxious. I guess I'm waiting on my 2nd application email.

08-10-2013
V.I.P.

Welcome to tFS, Anthh. And I wish you luck, too!

26-10-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthh View Post
I've applied for Fall 2014. I'm super nervous/anxious. I guess I'm waiting on my 2nd application email.
Congratulations! When I was at the open house a few people mentioned their wait time for the secondary application wasn't made available in the time quoted on the site. Im glad someone else here is applying as well, what is your intended major?

30-10-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Welcome to tFS, Anthh. And I wish you luck, too!
Thank you!

Quote:
Congratulations! When I was at the open house a few people mentioned their wait time for the secondary application wasn't made available in the time quoted on the site. Im glad someone else here is applying as well, what is your intended major?
I expected an email but actually received a letter via mail with my information to log in. I'll be completing that as soon as I get over my burn out from this English paper I'm currently writing.

I'm applying for Fashion Merchandising.

30-10-2013
scenester

Quote:
Thank you!

I expected an email but actually received a letter via mail with my information to log in. I'll be completing that as soon as I get over my burn out from this English paper I'm currently writing.

I'm applying for Fashion Merchandising.
Aww, bummer about the burnout. I'm glad you received your log information though. Well I wish you the best of luck with your essay. I'm not trying to influence your essay or anything, but I do recall the professors and admissions mentioning that a good essay isn't "I've wanted to be in fashion since I was a kid and I love the runway shows", but speaks more directly to what exactly you like or interests you about fashion and how the degree will help you achieve your goal. I hope that helps, because when I read the prompt I could have written a several page essay on all the points they want you to hit on...so needless to say condensing everything down to 500 words was quite difficult.

I'm so excited someone else here is applying for the FMM program, are you applying to the honors program or do you intend to do the international bachelor's program?

12-11-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Aww, bummer about the burnout. I'm glad you received your log information though. Well I wish you the best of luck with your essay. I'm not trying to influence your essay or anything, but I do recall the professors and admissions mentioning that a good essay isn't "I've wanted to be in fashion since I was a kid and I love the runway shows", but speaks more directly to what exactly you like or interests you about fashion and how the degree will help you achieve your goal. I hope that helps, because when I read the prompt I could have written a several page essay on all the points they want you to hit on...so needless to say condensing everything down to 500 words was quite difficult.

I'm so excited someone else here is applying for the FMM program, are you applying to the honors program or do you intend to do the international bachelor's program?
Thanks for the advice! Have you completed everything so far? I have a few other schools that I have things to do for so I haven't started with the 2nd portion of the application for FIT. Still juggling current school work and my job.

And no I don't qualify for the Honors Program sadly. Had a bad semester and it's put me just under the GPA requirement. Idk if I can raise it with these last few classes.

12-11-2013
scenester

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Have you completed everything so far? I have a few other schools that I have things to do for so I haven't started with the 2nd portion of the application for FIT. Still juggling current school work and my job.

And no I don't qualify for the Honors Program sadly. Had a bad semester and it's put me just under the GPA requirement. Idk if I can raise it with these last few classes.
Yes, I did everything. I've known I wanted to go to FIT for a few years, but couldn't go to school because of my job so I started on my essay before the SUNY application even opened. The good news is you have plenty of time to work on it.

I don't qualify for the honors program either, but I plan to join my junior year. Are you interested in their international program?

26-11-2013
Amour Comme Hiver

So I just got wait listed for the Spring 2014. I applied to a one year AAS in Advertising and Marketing Communication, 1 year program... is it competitive? Please someone tell me it is, because I am in desperate need of spirit lifting right now. I graduated from a very competitive undergrad institution with pretty good grades (granted, I also got my application in very late- my last set of transcripts didn't even reach them until two weeks into November, long after everything was supposed to be submitted). I'm just hoping it's more of a reflection on my late submission/arrogance in the application process, and less about my merits.

26-11-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
So I just got wait listed for the Spring 2014. I applied to a one year AAS in Advertising and Marketing Communication, 1 year program... is it competitive? Please someone tell me it is, because I am in desperate need of spirit lifting right now. I graduated from a very competitive undergrad institution with pretty good grades (granted, I also got my application in very late- my last set of transcripts didn't even reach them until two weeks into November, long after everything was supposed to be submitted). I'm just hoping it's more of a reflection on my late submission/arrogance in the application process, and less about my merits.
Awww!! I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Obviously I'm not on the admissions board, but I really do think it was because your application wasn't ready until after the deadline. On that note, I'm sure you were an attractive candidate which is why they chose to wait list you instead of send a denial.

You can wait for a slot to open or register for classes as a non-degree student. I was told by admissions and registration some students chose to go that route when not accepted. The only catch is that some classes only permit a certain number of non-degree students so that may become an issue. The way around that is to talk to the professor and ask them to waive a slot over to you. I'm told this does happen, especially if you were denied and really want to pursue a degree from FIT. They see it as an opportunity to give you a chance and the processor may even speak on your behalf when you apply for the following semester.

I hope this encourages you to keep on trying and not give up hope.

02-01-2014
scenester

Quote:

How goes your application thus far? The FAFSA opened on the first of the year if you are looking for grants/loans/work-study.

02-01-2014
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
Any new updates? Has a slot opened up for you or will you reapply for the fall?

09-01-2014
windowshopping

Quote:
How goes your application thus far? The FAFSA opened on the first of the year if you are looking for grants/loans/work-study.
I'm finalizing it at the moment. I'm afraid I'm overthinking it and stressing over nothing because I don't want it to be the reason I don't get accepted.

I will probably submit it tomorrow or later today.
And thanks! I have to wait for my tax information to come and then I'll apply.

16-01-2014
windowshopping

Has anyone taken the continuing education courses? Was it worth it? I have a degree in merchandising from another school, but interning for Marc Jacobs made me realize I want to work in production.

17-01-2014
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
Has anyone taken the continuing education courses? Was it worth it? I have a degree in merchandising from another school, but interning for Marc Jacobs made me realize I want to work in production.
I haven't taken any classes there yet (hopefully I'll get in this fall), but I have heard their classes are great. I remember reading that a lot of the Continuing Education classes are night/weekend and they say those instructors are usually in the industry and choose to teach when they get off, so that may be great for you. I'm sure you've already looked at their website and the course plans, I recommend you give them a call or send an email (less invasive and it allows them to respond when they have free time) with questions you may have. Alternatively you can speak with an academic counselor.

Though, your question seemed to be geared towards students' experience so I recommend you check out sites like collegeprowler.com or collegeconfidential.com (they have a forum for FIT if I remember correctly). Yelp may be of some assistance as well.

17-01-2014
scenester

Quote:
I'm finalizing it at the moment. I'm afraid I'm overthinking it and stressing over nothing because I don't want it to be the reason I don't get accepted.

I will probably submit it tomorrow or later today.
And thanks! I have to wait for my tax information to come and then I'll apply.
I totally get you! I stressed so much about mine, too. Even though it was a living document that I was working on for several years because I had to wait until I was about to get out the military.

Did you submit it yet!? How did you feel when you hit that button. I was so excited, yet apprehensive that I would wait all this time and not get in or forget something.

Oh and my essay was over by like 3 words, I hope that doesn't get me rejected either.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attending, fashion, fit, house, institute, open, technology, york