How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-11-2008
rising star

^
not sure about the date deadline, but when i talked to FIT prof there year ago, she said you have to know the at least the basics of sewing. They dont expect you to be a master, but you have to know how to do very basic seams, and all that.

17-11-2008
front row

I am sending off my applications to FIT this week and I was just wondering...
is it a good school to study Fashion Merchandising in?

If you had to choose between FIDM in Los Angeles, Academy of Art in San Fran and FIT , which one would you prefer? Generally speaking.

17-11-2008
trendsetter

Anyone in the Advertising & Marketing Communications Dept?

19-11-2008
rising star

exdesigner,

You are doing exactly what I have planned to do. The exact same thing. I do not come from a family of rich/wealthy folks that can take care of me while I pursue this. I wanted to do the Part-Time Continuing Education Program at F.I.T and obtain my AAS degree there, perhaps we could talk more about it if you do not mind. I work Part-Time now, but I am actually looking for work Full-Time. I am not so crazy about F.I.T. and its sooo convient sense I work very close to F.I.T. Its not my first choice but its also affordable. I do not have to travel a lot. I am sooo scared though lol. But everything I want to do just goes right back to Fashion Design so why not just pursue it str8 forward.

Thanks

23-11-2008
front row

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process of applying for AAS fashion design course, can anyone tell me how should I present my portfolio to be sent by mail? The instructions says that 'Nothing should be submitted in a binder, notebook or portfolio case', so does that mean I can't bind my portfolio? I'm confused...

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving
Albert Einstein
24-11-2008
front row

MariaT89- Yes, you have to chose a specialty in your BFA. You can't pick and choose but I think if you have extra electives you might be able to take a class here and there from another specialty. I'm not too sure on this though...

Littleearthquakes- I believe most evening classes are from 6:30 to 9pmish.

Agnes38- my roommate is a communication design major and so far she likes it. It's a tough major, and she's up doing work all the time but from looking at her work and everything, it seems good. It get competitive when you apply for your BFA since you have to pick a speciality (toy design, packaging design, advertising, etc) and some of them only have around 20 or so spots.

longlegsue- You might consider pursuing an additional degree at F.I.T. Along with studying, you can also have an internship at the same time so that may help with your career/job search later on...

mcnumwave- You just have to be patient during the application procedure. It may seem like some things take weeks to come but don't worry.

ablazex- The emphasize construction because you take a lot of construction type classes at F.I.T. I've had people in my classes though who've come from strong art backgrounds and not sewing. You just have to be prepared to learn but they won't kick you out or anything if you don't know how to sew a blouse. They teach you that.

obsvr- You don't send your actual portfolio, you just send in copies. Don't staple, bind, glue or anything.

24-11-2008
front row

My problem is the following, i am spanish and i am studing business management and administration, i know it hasn't anything to do with fashion but....anyway, i would like to know how long is the IFM course, an if i need some experience or studies before get into the IFM.

¿The courses are only in french?¿ It costs 9.500€, but one year, or the whole module?

25-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francheska View Post

If you had to choose between FIDM in Los Angeles,... and FIT , which one would you prefer? Generally speaking.
That is my question as well. I'm trying to decide where I should go.

26-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francheska View Post

If you had to choose between FIDM in Los Angeles, Academy of Art in San Fran and FIT , which one would you prefer? Generally speaking.
FIT definitely

07-12-2008
scenester

Hi everyone,I've question to current students of FIT or those who have already graduated.
What is the average age of students at FIT, are there people about 25 and older?
I belive it's never too late to improve yourself and to learn smthg new,but I'm a little troubled with this question.
Thanx for any answers

windowshopping

I did the 1-year fashion design program (for people who already have degrees in other things) and I would say over half of my classmates were over 25. (I'm 24)

I can't say if this is true for the normal programs though...but you definately would not feel out of place on the campus if you aren't straight out of high school

11-12-2008
rising star

are they really strict when it come to GPA? I want to transfer but my GPA isn't the greatest

11-12-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulique View Post
Hi everyone,I've question to current students of FIT or those who have already graduated.
What is the average age of students at FIT, are there people about 25 and older?
I belive it's never too late to improve yourself and to learn smthg new,but I'm a little troubled with this question.
Thanx for any answers
I was worried about that too. However, as someone already said the one year program mostly have older people in there 24 and older usually because they have already graduated from college. I was a little worried about that too with the evening and weekend program. But I could care less, I am not there to put on a show for other students lol. And its never too late so go for it!

cbutterfly, FIT is strict with everything (I honestly believe). That is one of many reasons why I have decided to pursue the evening and weekened program. They want you to know this, that, this, that which I cannot understand. They want you to know all of these things and it seems like they want you to be really, really experienced at it. So if thats the case maybe I should just skip going to school at all (I could have sworn that the point in going to school is to learn) and just start applying for work.

I have gon to their information sessions as well, they are wayyyy too stuck up for me, including the parents of the prospective students. I have no choice, and I am not sure if a certificate would say anything important.

If you can AFFORD it, I would recommend Parsons to anyone. I am already in enough school debt, and I really need to get into this industry. If you can't afford it, FIT would be a good choice too. But just know its NOT my first choice. I would not recomment Art Institute to anyone, because all they are concered about is getting you in the school. They are not admissions counselors (titles don't mean a thing).They are sales Reps. They accept ANYONE as long as you can pay, which is why they will keep calling you and wanting you to go to their schoo. I have dealt with that school, and I have delt with another school, I can't remember the name, its not Catherine Gibbs its another school close to Gibbs, and they are the same way. They will try to compare their program with a four year program and tell you that it cost more and some B.S. Watch out for schools like these. If you are in Cali I would recommend FIDM. Actually if I could move out there (which I can't) I would definetly go their.

11-12-2008
windowshopping

Does F.I.T have a good fashion photography program? I'm currently at PSU and would like to attend Fit for grad school...I've emailed the grad info people, but I'd like to know if anyone is in the actual program?

rising star

if i read right, does FIT send out acceptance letters during April? that seems really late

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attending, fashion, fit, house, institute, open, technology, york