How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

yes definately thanks for posting. and I'm so jealous! DailyCandy sounds like a great work environment! Bringing my dog to work? Fun people? Doing something related to new happenings? I'll take it!

06-12-2006
scenester

Fashion Jobs- Interview tips
Bonjour fashionistas!
I have two interviews coming up- Monday and Tuesday with two VERY BIG design houses in Manhattan for the position of Assistant Buyer. I am attempting to prepare myself to the best of my ability. Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of questions they would ask me in my interview? Any suggestions for dress? I'm thinking I'm going to go classic- black pant suit.
Merci beaucoup!
Jolie

07-12-2006
scenester

here are a few typical questions I've been asked on interviews:
1. Why are you looking to leave your current position? And, why did you leave all of your previous companies?
2. What salary are you looking for? (a good answer to this, is to put it back on them and ask them what they think you're value is, most of the time they'll offer more than you were going to ask).
3. What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness?
4. How do you deal with difficult co-workers?
5. Why are you interested in working for this company?
6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?
7. What made you choose this career?
8. When was the last time you bought our clothing/shopped in our store?
That's all I can think of right now. GOOD LUCK!!!!

07-12-2006
scenester

Thank you! I appreciate your help!
With as many views as this post has gotten, I was beginning to get a bit disappointed but thank you SamantaB.

08-12-2006
scenester

You're welcome. Also, a lot of interviewers will take half the time telling you about the company. It also never hurts to look at the company's website before going on the interview, that way if they ask you about their products or customers you have an idea (I've goofed that up in interviews before). Plus, if you're entering the industry, most interviewers will not try to intimidate you, they understand. A black pantsuit always works. It's cold up here right now, so don't hesitate to wear a puffer coat/parka with it (everyone this morning was wearing one), maybe even a sweater with it.

08-12-2006
rising star

I'm sorry to use this thread...but I didn't want to start a very similar one of my own. I'm currently in high school (only 16), but I applied for an internship with a local fashion designer, and she called me three hours later after my email and we set up an appointment time to meet and talk, and see if she'd be interested in me.

I'm really nervous. I'm only 16, with absolutely no experience and only enthusiasm (as I've stated in my cover letter), and I have no idea what a 16 year old should wear to the meeting/appointment. I don't want to wear a pantsuit and seem...too old. I want to show that I'm young and ready to learn about the fashion industry...how should I dress? Casual dressy? Or just casually cute? And am I shooting too far at my age?

09-12-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorable
I'm sorry to use this thread...but I didn't want to start a very similar one of my own. I'm currently in high school (only 16), but I applied for an internship with a local fashion designer, and she called me three hours later after my email and we set up an appointment time to meet and talk, and see if she'd be interested in me.

I'm really nervous. I'm only 16, with absolutely no experience and only enthusiasm (as I've stated in my cover letter), and I have no idea what a 16 year old should wear to the meeting/appointment. I don't want to wear a pantsuit and seem...too old. I want to show that I'm young and ready to learn about the fashion industry...how should I dress? Casual dressy? Or just casually cute? And am I shooting too far at my age?
In my opinion you should better not wear a pantsuit. Just go casual, but not too! Don't wear jeans, I guess that's too casual. Some neat pants and maybe a top with some colour and a blazer or something like that?
And don't worry too much about the interview, the lady will probably be very nice to you, because of your age. Be polite and enthousiastic

11-12-2006
tfs star

Something I always have done and always gotten the job is dress in the image of the company that I'm interviewing for but I try to let it be too obvious that I'm doing it.

11-12-2006
front row

Okay, so I am curious how the interviews went. Any updates?

scenester

Had one today with my top choice, the #2 Fashion Designer of all time as rated by A&E. It went well. A few unexpected questions were asked but I feel that I answered them to the best of my ability. It was a lot longer of an interview than I though so I suppose that it's a good sign. This position also calls for travel to Milan so you can imagine how BADLY I want it.
Two more tommorrow- I'm nowhere NEAR as nervous as I was for the interview today so they should go well.
Thank you for asking.

12-12-2006
front row

good luck!

17-12-2006
windowshopping

For my interview for a marketing internship at one of New York's top fashion brands, I wore a full suit and tie. Better to dress as professional as possible. Thats my point of view. I got the internship btw...so excited!

17-12-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossoyan
For my interview for a marketing internship at one of New York's top fashion brands, I wore a full suit and tie. Better to dress as professional as possible. Thats my point of view. I got the internship btw...so excited!
Congratulations!

17-12-2006
scenester

How long do you guys think it's normal to wait until I hear back from the companies I interviewed with? A week max? I already called and left messages and mailed thank you notes.

17-12-2006
taz
MUSE

do you think that you need to wear somthing from this fashion house..at least thier fragrance???

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, interview, jobs, tips