How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-12-2006
tfs star

You don't have to wear something from the fashion house but you at least want to look like the brand or look like you belong. And I wouldn't wear their fragrance as I don't think you should wear any fragrance on job interviews as they can be offensive to others.

17-12-2006
scenester

Yeah I agree. As long as you look similar to their look, its fine. I definitely wouldn't like overdo it and get decked out in their brand name but a piece of jewelry or a small accessory would be smart.

18-12-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie917
How long do you guys think it's normal to wait until I hear back from the companies I interviewed with? A week max? I already called and left messages and mailed thank you notes.
That's a tough one. Since the holidays are here, that usually disrupts HR schedules (because half the staff will be on vacation), it could take more than a week. I wouldn't get worried if you don't hear from them this week, they probably have a lot of work right now and may not be able to respond quickly. I've had companies get back to me immediately, and others have taken a long time (one company called me back for a second interview nine months after the first interview).

18-12-2006
rising star

hmm...since I'm only 16, should I wear heels anyways? Or would dressy flats work just as well?

18-12-2006
scenester

Thank you, Samantha. I appreciate it. Should I try sending an email? I just am in a predicament- should I appreciate third best just because I havent heard YET from my top two? If I do and my top choice (A&E's #2 Fashion Designer of all time), contacts me for further interviewing or makes an offer, I can't just tell my third choice to scram. Can I?

18-12-2006
tfs star

If anyone knows, can you email me the name of A&E's #2 Fashion Designer of All time please??

18-12-2006
windowshopping

lol. It can get annoying waiting for a response, but you have to understand that these people are busy with other tasks too. I was really impatient, but I waited and I got the positive response back and was so happy. Just take it easy, chill out and wait for them to get back to you. They have other things to take care of for their job, not just to get back to interns.

I wish everyone luck with their job hunt! peace.

18-12-2006
scenester

If you've already called or sent a thank you e-mail, I'd hold off sending another e-mail within a week. I don't think they're brushing you off, because this is the holiday season and most HR departments get swamped around this time (with so many employee vacations around this time, having to get employee IRS forms prepared for this tax year, planning the company Christmas party, figuring out fiscal budgets for the upcoming year, training spring interns and also a lot of career fairs/recruiting events happen early in the year, they've got a lot on their plate). Has the 3rd choice made an offer already? In that case, I'd say there's no harm in calling your top choice and explaining the situation. If you stress how much you would prefer to work there, then you might get their decision.

19-12-2006
scenester

Samantha, thanks so much for all of your advice! Karma!
I went ahead and accepted my third choice, just because I needed to make set plans- I fly out Jan 2, ONE WAY and I need to begin the full time job of apartment hunting- haha. I'm set to start January 8th but my 2nd choice (bon chic bon genre) left me a message today saying GOOD NEWS. So what I've decided to do is just if my 1st and 2nd choices give me a better offer, then I'll just tell my 3rd choice, just that. But more companies have been calling to schedule interviews so I'm doing that as well. I suppose if I play my cards right, in the end, I'll be able to choose which companies that I would most like to work for- well something along those lines haha.
I've always looked at stylecareers.com, wwd.com, nytimes. And others that you might recommend?

So what exactly do you do in the city? How long have you lived there?
I spent the summer interning in NY and am just so eager to return!

20-12-2006
scenester

I'm a sweater technical designer (womenswear). Moved here from Kentucky 7 years ago.
I would have taken the 3rd choice, too. It's a big move up here and you need to have some security. People decline jobs after being there a week, so don't feel guilty about it (that's just the nature of this industry). If you're smart, you always keep looking for other opportunities (most people won't say it, but it's true). Those are the major websites, I use those and also use recruiters/agencies (that way, you don't end up sending a resume to a division of the company you're currently at---that's embarrassing). Good luck on the apartment search.

06-01-2007
backstage pass

jolie, would you mind saying some things that were on your resume? like education and experience because I'm curious what the companies are looking for for an assistant buyer. Thanks and good luck when you start your job!!

07-01-2007
scenester

Well, some advice would be - for example, I used www.stylecareers.com mostly to search for jobs and I would use the same job description wording that companies use for req'd for certain positions. So if a company said, "prepare sales analysis blah blaah......" then I would use the same wording if I had done that specific job. That way when they review your resume, the wording sticks out to them. I also have a LOT of retail expierence. I feel that in order to work in the corporate side of the fashion industry, you need to pay your dues in retail. I worked for 5+ years in retails for both LVMH and a boutique. I then interned at Betsey Johnson. I suggest a variety of positions within the fashion industry rather than a long term history at one mall store, ex: abercrombie.
If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!

08-01-2007
backstage pass

^thanks a bunch!!

09-01-2007
D‘MMkammern

what jolie917 said about using specific wording is quite a good point... what i would try is to know just as much as i could about the company.
TV, press, internet...
everycompany has websites, some of them show their financial results (LVMH), some of them have stuff from previous seasons (you can see how the company evolves) or some of them have things that may not seem important, but let's say you are gonna have an interview chez Chanel: i say it'd be quite impressive to let them know that you heard (video paris-monaco )they bought the artisan companies that make haute couture for them, that they plan on showing in LA, Barcelona, London... this shows a lot of interest on them, and that is probably what they are looking for: effort, dedication, interest!

finally, i don't really knwo how much this helps, but i once read an interview to Mr. Arnauld (LouisVuittonMoetHennesin) and he said that the first thing they do (at LVMH) is to tell their new hires to visit the company boutiques (see how they react, if they are familiar with what they see, etc) I suggest you do that in advanced!

all these little details + your curricullum + experience= the job is yours!

scenester

I second that...again... Haha
Definitely STUDY the company. I've interviewed with quite a few companies and every since one from Jones Apparel Group to Armani has said, "So tell me what you know about our company."
Check WWD. Do your homework.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, interview, jobs, tips