How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2007
tfs star

^ I think you'll find writing as much as you can on the side would be highly-beneficial. Pitching ideas to publications-from newspapers to magazines-is a great idea and from what I've heard, the only solution to kick-starting a career in this sector of this industry is to start low, perhaps interning and working your way up.

Fashion Journalism

^
You might find more information here too

16-10-2007
tailored

threads merged...

front row

thanks dustcakeboy for the thread link! I didn't realize there were other threads on this topic but that thread was loaded with info.
thanks again!

17-10-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperk View Post
Anglophone choice:

Marion Hume
Suzy Menkes (International Herald Tribune)
Cathy Horyn
Hilary Alexander
Godfrey Deeny (Fashion Wire Daily)
Colin MacDowell
Hamish Bowles
Andre Leon Talley
Harriet Quick
Hadley Freeman (The Guardian)
Erin Skrypek
Alicia Drake
Horacio Silva

Francophone:

Laurence BenhaÔm
Phillipe Utz
Loic Prejean

There are others but these are some of the better ones...and their copy isn't written or rewritten for them. I would have to agree that the better fashion writing or, at least, more truthful fashion writing is found in newspapers. Fashion magazine writers tend to be limited in what they can say by editorial policies shaped to pander to advertisers although good, sincere stuff occasionally slips through the filters. You would never find the sort of comments made by Suzy Menkes or Hadley Freeman in VOGUE or Bazaar, for instance.

PK
even if she a little faffy and fictionalized, i love maggie alderson who i would add to this list (agree with everyone else - well chosen!)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
first and very importantly...
i would say learn the importance of research...
starting with searching this site for pre-existing threads on this topic...

merged...
well said

fashion icon

I actually also adore Guy Trebay's writing as well as Teri Agins (Wall Street Journal) and Robin Givhan (Washington Post).

17-10-2007
front row

Ahh, I didn't realize there were multiple threads on this. . . confused. . .
I agree Cicciolina, Robin from the Post is my favorite since I'm from the area and read her column the most.

18-10-2007
backstage pass

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread and have found it quite inspirational. I'm currently in my first year at Cambridge uni studying English but I'm really not enjoying the course and would love to get my teeth into something like fashion journalism. Would dropping out of uni and trying to get my teeth into a number of internships place me in a worse position? I'm really debating what to do with my life and I'd love any advice you're willing to share.

18-10-2007
backstage pass

I model myslef after Robin and Cathy Horyn.

18-10-2007
front row

musegirl if I were you, I'd stay in university. It's been said before in this thread that most people in journalism don't have a degree specific for the field. I couldn't drop out of college because I'd like to have a degree to fall back on, it means a lot to most employers. You could always continue classes and intern at a newspaper or write articles on-line.
All in all, I'd stay in university.

18-10-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by musegirl View Post
Hi guys, I've been reading this thread and have found it quite inspirational. I'm currently in my first year at Cambridge uni studying English but I'm really not enjoying the course and would love to get my teeth into something like fashion journalism. Would dropping out of uni and trying to get my teeth into a number of internships place me in a worse position? I'm really debating what to do with my life and I'd love any advice you're willing to share.
Dont drop out! perhaps change majors or change some of your classes to things that may interest you more and arrange to do internships through your uni.

silent sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionistasista View Post
Dont drop out! perhaps change majors or change some of your classes to things that may interest you more and arrange to do internships through your uni.
Agree., don't drop out !!! now more than ever I'd say it's extremely important to have a higher education

tfs star

How much do fashion journalists make, typically?

I've been trying to research journalism in general and I keep coming up with other names, such as "news analysts" and "reporters" and it talks only about reporters and journalists for things such as politics and general news. To top it off, the website I went to (which is supposed to be credible) stated that the salary is beyond lousy.

Are the chances really that slim to work as a fashion journalist and get enough money to get by? I've been reading this thread and I'm very confused and discouraged about this career option, but it's the only one which makes sense when applied to me.

front row

This is exactly what I studied, fashion jorunalism, but I have yet to find THE job ....

03-11-2007
fashion icon

Fashion journalism is quite lowly paid, but again there may be exceptions. There aren't many positions available - I mean journalism itself is so competitive so fashion journalism is even worse. But again, as usual there may be exceptions.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, journalism