How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2005
tfs star

Thanks so much for the comments. I've edited it a bit and added what I really think of things. I'm writing one at the moment about the Morbidly Unstylish, which is pretty much me bitching about trendwhore old women...

-G.

29-12-2005
go red sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirl52
Wow... I just typed a post that got deleted.

Anyway, I'm kicking off the writing sharing. I wrote this a few months ago when I was in a piss with Girlfriend magazine for various reasons. Reading back over it, it's very short and bad, but I'd love some opinions etc.

Don't be too harsh, I'm just a little kid!

-G.
that's really good, stargirl! if you like to write, maybe you'd like to write for the sophisticate? click on the link in my sig! i think you'd like it! pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited by peacelover142002; 29-12-2005 at 03:37 AM.
29-12-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002
that's really good, stargirl! if you like to write, maybe you'd like to write for the sophisticate? click on the link in my sig! i think you'd like it! pm me if you have any questions.
Woah, I'd totally love to! PM'ing you now.

-G.

05-01-2006
V.I.P.

reality
Just a dose of some secrets.... major in literature, journalism and you can write (fashion). I have friends and acquaintences who knows nothing about fashion and ended up writing about it for major fashion publishing houses and magazines.

05-01-2006
front row

Quote:

Anyway, I'm kicking off the writing sharing. I wrote this a few months ago when I was in a piss with Girlfriend magazine for various reasons. Reading back over it, it's very short and bad, but I'd love some opinions etc.

-G.
i realllly think this is a hit Stargirl52...you are absoultely right and i cant agree more...i mean they try to like clone us with one fashion style to get other shops to gain money from us...cant a person be individual in this world?!

GReat idea

im trying to work in a magazine maself to write as a fashion editor..any advice to do it right?HELP HELP

05-01-2006
scenester

Quote:

-G.
Hi

OK so I find that the first paragraph has too many questions. I can see what you're getting at but it just doesn't work for me.

Also, there are grammatical errors.

Personally I agree with what you are saying but I don't find the article particularly original. And to answer your question; go to a big newsagency and check out alternative magazines. When I lived in Sydney I liked RUSSH and Zen, I dunno if they're available in NZ!

Sorry I don't want to seem harsh but with stuff like this, I reckon being honest is best. Good luck!!

05-01-2006
.fr

Does anyone know a good uni were you can study fashion journalism???

Thanx

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl?

Also, there are grammatical errors.
Ooh, where are they? I just found the 'to' instead of 'too', but that's a typo. I'm a grammar whore, so it's not like me to have errors.

Thanks for the advice

-G.

05-01-2006
front row

Try to get some solid internship experience.

08-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Ooh, where are they? I just found the 'to' instead of 'too', but that's a typo. I'm a grammar whore, so it's not like me to have errors.

Thanks for the advice

-G.
I should've said error sans s cause I only found 'to' and also its Hermès not Hermés, but I only know cause I was writing it the other day and wasn't sure and looked it up

I used to be such a grammar nazi, I loved spelling...but now as I'm aging (lol I'm 16) I find myself making more and more mistakes

08-01-2006
front row

it's okay, there are sub-editors who will edit it all for you and make it sound better. you develop writing through practice, just write write write and try get an internship.

i'm doing an internship now and i suck as a writer... i mean i'm not bad compared to normal people, but put me next to the contributing editor, and i am COMPLETE rubbish. i have zero journalism bg, but i'm working on it and practice is the key. just have plenty of ideas.

11-01-2006
rising star

stargirl, I really liked the ideas you presented in your piece, but as previously said there were too many questions within the first paragraph, and it would help immensely if you tried creating longer and complex sentences....but other than that, great writing, especially for 13!

11-01-2006
front row

Some sound advice here. Most working editors really don't care if you have degrees or diplomas. They want to know that you can motivate yourself to get out there and do the job. If you have a degree in journalism or media studies, keep as quiet as you can about it because many editors and journalists do not have degrees of any kind at all.

Journalism remains an occupation in which you can either do it or you can't. Bounce into a busy office waving a BA in journalism and you'll probably be laughed out into the street. Go in there waving some articles and interviews that you've done for any kind of media - and we are not short of cashstrapped media looking for free contributions! - and you might get a hearing. If your stuff is any good, you might even be sent out on a try.

Good beginner level articles for fashion mags include Front-of-Book newspieces about exhibitions, book and film reviews, bar and club reviews (not restaurants because that's different territory) and the like: 100 - 250 words a pop. Editors don't have time to read longer pieces from total strangers...unless you happen to have tracked Elvis down, in which case they will be inclined to read your 2000 word interview.

Joking aside, if you can blagg an interview with someone who is difficult or even impossible to interview, that's always a good entrée. Try getting half-an-hour with Martin Margiela. If you can get a photo of him, your career is assured.

PK

12-01-2006
front row

Ohh I may not officially be a fashion journalist yet but I just got sent my very first lookbooks from Prada PR! Yay!!! The entire S/S 06 men and womens line in a flash little hardbound black ring book

i'm a bit excited.

12-01-2006
trendsetter

How did you manage to get those? Is there any way that I can acquire a copy?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, journalism