How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2007
rising star

How interesting.... I often found it amusing at how much control certain people have over a single magazine with decisions sometimes being made for all the wrong reasons.

One of the publishing houses here can never seem to be not nepotistic. They always seem to self promote themselves and they're buddies in the in category of magazines. Shame, because with a little bit of extra research they could unearth some amazing talents.

By the way, what are people's thoughts on Cathy Hoyrn's blog ( http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/) and her comments about Vogue being a bit non trend setting anymore? I really appreciate her comments about fashion, her thoughts are usually pretty well informed and she obviously knows her stuff.

18-04-2007
backstage pass

I agree with whomever posted about starting a blog. Especially the 'street-wear' blogs. The Facehunter, went from just posting pictures to being sent out by men's magazines to take photos and write about different fashion events. Which is great!

And the same here in Austin. We have a 'street style' blogger, but I have to admitt, the people she picks to blog about have atrocious style, in my opinion. Either way, she was interviewed for Nylon magazine, and I believe she's written for a few other publications.

It seems like you don't really have to work for anything anymore, doesn't it? Seems like fame comes quite easily on the internet these days.

fashion insider

Could someone list some well-respected fashion journalists? Or, what are the best fashion magazines writing wise? I'd like to read lots of articles and learn from them.
By the way, is it just me, or are US Vogue articles really boring? The beauty ones are especially horrible because most of them are about various injections! I like the Hamish Bowles articles though.

26-04-2007
go red sox

^Probably most of the highly respected fashion journalists work for newspapers rather than magazines.

Robin Givhan of The Washington Post, who won a Pulitzer Prize for Criticism (the first fashion journalist to do so)
Cathy Horyn of The New York Times
Suzy Menkes of The International Herald Tribune
Hilary Alexander of The Daily Telegraph

front row

Anglophone choice:

Marion Hume
Suzy Menkes (International Herald Tribune)
Cathy Horyn
Hilary Alexander
Godfrey Deeny (Fashion Wire Daily)
Colin MacDowell
Hamish Bowles
Andre Leon Talley
Harriet Quick
Hadley Freeman (The Guardian)
Erin Skrypek
Alicia Drake
Horacio Silva

Francophone:

Laurence Benhaïm
Phillipe Utz
Loic Prejean

There are others but these are some of the better ones...and their copy isn't written or rewritten for them. I would have to agree that the better fashion writing or, at least, more truthful fashion writing is found in newspapers. Fashion magazine writers tend to be limited in what they can say by editorial policies shaped to pander to advertisers although good, sincere stuff occasionally slips through the filters. You would never find the sort of comments made by Suzy Menkes or Hadley Freeman in VOGUE or Bazaar, for instance.

PK

27-04-2007
fashion insider

Thanks for those lists!

23-07-2007
boop

^I agree that the best fashion writing is often found in newspapers. Magazines seem to deteriorate into fawning far to often with either their subjects or their critiques. Its not really a critical view if you love everything and/or focus only on the positive. Cathy Horyn's blog has been a source of inspiration for me as well as Robin Givhan's (though it appears she has not updated in awhile) perhaps there can be an little link list of places online where we can all read examples of good fashion journalism. Some of the names mentioned up thread were new to me - especially the French critics. I'd love to see examples of their work.

Thank you for all your commentary prosperk - it really is intriguing. Its good to know that people from different backgrounds can still make it in journalism. I find it especially heartening as I'm from a film and art history background originally

23-07-2007
trendsetter

I've only written poetry until now.
Anyone has tips/idea's on how to start practicing writing articles(fashion)?

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
[SIZE="1"]^I agree that the best fashion writing is often found in newspapers. Magazines seem to deteriorate into fawning far to often with either their subjects or their critiques.
Ooohhh! Don't say that in an interview! Hahahahahahaha! Truth hurts! When at some stage in the distant past, before most of you were born or, at least, were growing tits and things, I was Australian Vogue's Man-in-Paris. Fine. I knew fcuk-all about the intricacies of Fashion and cared even less, my respect for the métier as a whole notwithstanding. So you can imagine how I felt when I was manoeuvered into covering the shows in Paris. How to get out of this? Hmmmmmm. Well...as I said earlier, truth hurts. So I wrote like Suzy Menkes on crack. Without Suzy's knowledge base, but expressing my gut reactions to what I saw on the catwalks.

I was never asked to do it again...

Result!

Quote:
Its not really a critical view if you love everything and/or focus only on the positive.
They don't love everything. They love the presents, the freebies, the kickbacks, the bribes they get from designers and houses for pretending, year after year, that the king's new clothes are lovely. An eight grand handbag - or two - plus a week in a Marrakesh thalasso and a juicy styling contract are just some of the reasons many magazine fashion editors and their bosses never write anything nasty. Even the writers who do try to get truth into the pages will be gagged for the sake of keeping the advertisers on board.

Newspaper writers are less hampered by this but, to be fair to their colleagues in the glossies, newspaper fashion writers are mean because they don't tend to get freebies and backhanders...because newspapers don't really carry that much fashion advertising. Were the same writers working for glossies, most of them would toe the line and smoke the pole.

Quote:
Thank you for all your commentary prosperk - it really is intriguing. Its good to know that people from different backgrounds can still make it in journalism. I find it especially heartening as I'm from a film and art history background originally
Thank you! If anything I write here debunks bullsh1t and helps people trying to get a foot on the ladder, so to speak, that's good. Nothing wrong with film and art history! You have a lot of the essential elements of 'origins of style' right there!

Rgds,

PK

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue_addiction View Post
I've only written poetry until now.
Anyone has tips/idea's on how to start practicing writing articles(fashion)?
Just start! Do it! Pick some topics and try your hand. I guarantee that you will loathe what you have written. What I mean to say is that if you don't, then go no further! You must know this already because you write poetry. Just sit down and bash something out. Write me something short about...ummm...the return of classic beauty. 200 words on that. PM it to me.

PK

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperk View Post
They don't love everything. They love the presents, the freebies, the kickbacks, the bribes they get from designers and houses for pretending, year after year, that the king's new clothes are lovely. An eight grand handbag - or two - plus a week in a Marrakesh thalasso and a juicy styling contract are just some of the reasons many magazine fashion editors and their bosses never write anything nasty. Even the writers who do try to get truth into the pages will be gagged for the sake of keeping the advertisers on board.

Newspaper writers are less hampered by this but, to be fair to their colleagues in the glossies, newspaper fashion writers are mean because they don't tend to get freebies and backhanders...because newspapers don't really carry that much fashion advertising. Were the same writers working for glossies, most of them would toe the line and smoke the pole.
Just adding to the above point...

I've found a lot of respectable newspapers have it in people's contracts that they are not to receive gifts and goodies so are less easier bribed into giving gushing reviews and raves. I'm not sure what the policy is on beauty products though. Those items leak out of PR companies and reps like water through a sieve.

I much prefer reading the fashion pages in the Australian newspaper than reading the glossy mags. Though I have no idea where the Friday fashion section has gone...

windowshopping

does anyone know of any LA based fashion mags besides 944 (which i already write for)? i'm trying to get into fashion editing or directing but it seems like if u dont live in NYC you're SOL

windowshopping

Calling All Fashion Journalists!!! Prefferably From Canada!!
OK, so here's the deal!
My name is Brittany. I live in Ajax which is in Ontario, Canada. I am in my last year of highschool and I plan to go to University for journalism. My vision is to apply for an editorial internship ,after I graduate. I want to apply for an internship with a canadian fashion mag. called FASHION. But for now I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do and what programs I need to take in order to become a journalist.

Thanks!

Last edited by BetteT; 03-08-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: See tFS guidlines ... re: fonts and caps (no shouting, please).
03-08-2007
backstage pass

Im In The Exact Same Position!
Same Age And All

03-08-2007
flaunt the imperfection

first and very importantly...
i would say learn the importance of research...
starting with searching this site for pre-existing threads on this topic...

merged...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, journalism