How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

Fashion Lawyer
Does anybody know or have any information on becoming a Fashion Lawyer?

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

what exactly do you mean by fashion lawyer...?
there are various ways you could work in the industry as a lawyer, esp with a big group like LVMH because of the complexity of their corporate structure and the diversity in their transactions... but maybe more specifically what you're referring to is intellectual property? as opposed to say... those who handle mergers and acquisitions. those dealling with intellectual property would be the ones who protect the designs, logos, etc. for example, at louis vuitton, their intellectual property lawyers would be the ones dealing with the counterfeits and the case against dooney & brooke... and at chanel, with the CHANEL logo

Last edited by meowmix; 20-07-2005 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more
20-07-2005
windowshopping

There was an article several years ago in Vogue that referred to someone as a "Fashion Lawyer". She was an entertainment lawyer that happened to represent several designers. There is really no such thing as a fashion lawyer. As already mentioned in the last post, you can be a lawyer in-house with a company that is involved in the industry or an intellectual property or entertainment lawyer.

As someone who went to law school and practiced then decided to go into fashion...my 2 cents: I would be careful if you are considering going to law school with the intention of being a lawyer in the fashion industry. In-house jobs can be very difficult to get (and may not be as glamorous as you would think). And whether you are representing a fashion designer or a software company you are still practicing law and your job is not that different. I would consider which you are most passionate about--fashion or law--before pursuing a career in law.

Hope that is helpful.

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

^ well said...
If you are going to seriously consider law as a career... you would commit yourself to law school just as any other person pursuing any field in law (unless you want to get into patent law... often a background in engineering or science is helpful or even necessary). you may get frustrated if you dive into it with your heart set on being more "involved" in the fashion part of it because, as stella pointed out, you are first and foremost a lawyer.
in-house jobs ARE hard to come by and usually require more experience... therefore it's usually better to start out working at a firm and building your experience there. this would make for an easier transition...

20-07-2005
Hoppity Hop

I do criminal defense exclusively but as soon as it stops being fun, I'm getting a sweet desk job at a conglomerate. Maybe that way I'll get invited to a fashion show.

If I were you I'd call, write, e-mail, go see companies and firms and inquire who handles what aspects of their legal needs. It's so infrequently asked, you'll probably get an answer. From there, show interest and it might land you a summer internship. Start early.

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

Thankyou !! Great information

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
what exactly do you mean by fashion lawyer...?
there are various ways you could work in the industry as a lawyer, esp with a big group like LVMH because of the complexity of their corporate structure and the diversity in their transactions... but maybe more specifically what you're referring to is intellectual property? as opposed to say... those who handle mergers and acquisitions.
those dealling with intellectual property would be the ones who protect the designs, logos, etc. for example, at louis vuitton, their intellectual property lawyers would be the ones dealing with the counterfeits and the case against dooney & brooke... and at chanel, with the CHANEL logo
Thats the type i mean, does anybody know how you could get into this type of business? because i would LOVE to work in that area

21-07-2005
front row

Try and start locally. I started by going to conferences, joining orgainzations and networking. I used a professor when I was a student to help me with that, as well as become and peer tutor and TA to bone up my skills. Get involved as much as you can and eventually people notice. Start your own organization, such as I did. Eventually you slowly build up your resume with interviews, guest speaking, this case, that case, and you get a good job, which leads to a better job, etc. But if you're serious look into law school with good IP programs. Also see if you can get an internship at your country's copyright/patent/trademark office or maybe even at WIPO.

And read read read read everthing you can find on IP and current cases/laws/issues. If you're well read and up on the issues, you'll come across as a serious hardworker. There are many sites that update everyday cases, etc. around the world. Plus it makes you a valuable asset when you do find a job and makes you more marketable when you decide to move on/up

Good luck

21-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

very interesting and good feedback from our members...

cool thread...

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
Thats the type i mean, does anybody know how you could get into this type of business? because i would LOVE to work in that area
Booooo!!!

22-07-2005
trendsetter

oooh im studying law
hot topic !

but from what i understand, fashion -being a business you would essentially have to study CORPORATE LAW to be able to represent companies and so on ..

trendsetter

guys im in law school let me tell you what u have to do b4 u think about taking it up as career.
I study at a national law school. where they hold all India entrance exams and then select students...
this is how each semester proceeds
1. Rough Draft of research papers - inlcudes loads of reasearch in 5 subjects
2. then vivas, where they question u about what u wrote
3. the Final paper
4. Vivas on what weve been studying
+keeping up with class research for subjects
+ presentations every now and then
+mock court sessions if youre interested (theres a process of selection and a problem that u have to work on)
+internships in the holidays are a must
we have college 6 days a week (sunday isa hlaf day, wednesdays are holidays)

10 semesters ! 5 years ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Last edited by Snow-White; 22-07-2005 at 11:25 AM.
22-07-2005
backstage pass

Everyone is correct. There are a couple of ways you can go. You could work at a firm (either intellectual property or entertainment firm that has fashion clients) or you can work on the corporate end (at an apparel line). Smaller lines usually have attorneys on retainer while the larger, conglomerate businesses have in-house counsel and a formal legal department.

As someone already mentioned, it is not the most glamourous end of the industry. You should be very much interested in the law first and secondly interested in how it applies to the fashion industry. You'll probably get most of your glamour from the Fashion Spot. Sure, you'll get perks from your clients but don't let that be the basis of entering the field.

22-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-White
oooh im studying law
hot topic !

but from what i understand, fashion -being a business you would essentially have to study CORPORATE LAW to be able to represent companies and so on ..
Or Business Law.....?

V.I.P.

^same thing really

My advice would be mainly to study corporate law...this is the field that will yield the possibility of working for a fashion company. However, once you get out of law school, you have to be realistic with the job market. There are generally not a lot of positions open for new graduates, and realistically you have to take what you can get. The chances of being able to start out as a lawyer in the fashion industry may be slim. However, if you stick with corporate law in any specific field and work your way up the ladder, as you progress you may be able to find a career in the fashion field. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Also just as a warning, if you do work as a lawyer in the fashion field, it's probably going to be pretty similar to working with a lot of other corporate firms. As someone else said, though you would technically be working the fashion industry, you won't exactly be seeing the glamour of it...it's probably not too different from working for a publishing company or an insurance company.

oooh and see if you can get an internship for any company remotely involved in fashion...That could help lead you where you want to go.

Last edited by morgan38; 22-07-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, lawyer