How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-07-2011
rising star

Ciao, Alaska111!

Yes, there are almost 100 fashion schools to choose from all over the UK --including Central Saint Martins and London College of Fashion (both based in London). The overall level here is exceptional for your career development not to mention how good it is for networking with other professionals from sectors like media, creative and marketing (specially if you are based in London), how close it is to Paris and Milan (the other 2 major fashion capitals in Europe), and how "relative" good connected the local fashion industry is with its local graduates (there's loads of business support schemes for fashion entrepreneurs too).

Hope this link can help your UK research. See all fashion courses available for international students in all schools in the UK (starting 2011):
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...4&word=FASHION

I can't suggest any in particular because, at the end of the day, even if you were to study in the best school of fashion in the world, or you were the most talented, awarded and visionary graduate fashion business person on planet earth, you won't get anywhere after your graduation with the right amount of luck, contacts, personal trait and skills, work experience, knowledge, money and ambition

18-08-2011
windowshopping

Does anyone know what the salaries are like for people working in fashion marketing? What are some specific titles of positions people have who work in fashion marketing?

This fall I'm going to start studying for a BFA in fashion marketing at an art and design school. I'm investing a ton of money in my education because I truly have always loved marketing/advertising but also fashion and I just want to know if there actually people who make a good income working in this

20-08-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonpr View Post
Does anyone know what the salaries are like for people working in fashion marketing? What are some specific titles of positions people have who work in fashion marketing?

This fall I'm going to start studying for a BFA in fashion marketing at an art and design school. I'm investing a ton of money in my education because I truly have always loved marketing/advertising but also fashion and I just want to know if there actually people who make a good income working in this
Look for job vacancies published on the web and check for yourself the salaries (obviously wages will depend of the area, country, sector (textile design, fashion design, retail clothing, e-tail.), etc.

Look here for some examples of titles of positions:
http://www.retailchoice.com/
http://www.inretail.co.uk/
http://www.berkeley-search.com/
http://www.drapersjobs.com/
http://www.denza.co.uk/index.php/jobs/show/0/3
http://dailyfashionjobs.com/

21-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonpr View Post

Fashion Marketing and Marketing in general pays relatively little compared to other fields in the industry. First of all, the quintessence of marketing ( educationally seen) is not very demanding. It depends on the special subjects though. Most students want to have it simple + without mathematics and thus they study fashion marketing with emphasis on 'Fashion Ethics', 'Fashion History', 'Fashion Management' and get through easily. Salary related, they'll get by if they're lucky.
My former human resources prof (he used to be personnell manager of a German large scale enterprise) told me that he received more than 2k applications for only one job advertisement for marketing.
If study fashion marketing with emphasis on logistics, production and statistics etc, your situation on the job market will be totally different (the good kind of 'different') but these subjects are rather demanding and well.... 'dry'. Also note when studying marketing in general, you wil not often be involved in the creative process of an advertisement campaign unless you're lucky.

01-09-2011
rising star

Does anyone know about the MA courses in Polimoda? Do they have a good reputation?

Last edited by Harryx; 01-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.
02-09-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Fashion Marketing and Marketing in general pays relatively little compared to other fields in the industry. First of all, the quintessence of marketing ( educationally seen) is not very demanding. It depends on the special subjects though. Most students want to have it simple + without mathematics and thus they study fashion marketing with emphasis on 'Fashion Ethics', 'Fashion History', 'Fashion Management' and get through easily. Salary related, they'll get by if they're lucky.
My former human resources prof (he used to be personnell manager of a German large scale enterprise) told me that he received more than 2k applications for only one job advertisement for marketing.
If study fashion marketing with emphasis on logistics, production and statistics etc, your situation on the job market will be totally different (the good kind of 'different') but these subjects are rather demanding and well.... 'dry'. Also note when studying marketing in general, you wil not often be involved in the creative process of an advertisement campaign unless you're lucky.
Thank you, that was very helpful. I know FIT has an undergrad degree for international trade and marketing for the fashion industry which I guess would be a better bet but as you said, dry. I just always hoped to one day work in-house doing marketing for a major fashion brand.

02-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ Have you considered to do your bachelor in common business economics or business administration and then continue with a master degree in (fashion) marketing? Would provide more safety. Knowledge in cost accounting, international trade law, business mathematics/statistics and macro/micro-economics are more of a essential than a competitive advantage these days even for marketing people as the job involves more analysis/research than most people would think.
I don't know what to think about many of these Fashion marketing programms, they really seem to emphasize only on the bloom side of business.

23-11-2011
windowshopping

Anyone has any clue about the Masters in Fashion and Luxury Brand Management program in Marangoni, Italy?
How is it for an International student to land a job especially in India?

03-12-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
^ Have you considered to do your bachelor in common business economics or business administration and then continue with a master degree in (fashion) marketing? Would provide more safety. Knowledge in cost accounting, international trade law, business mathematics/statistics and macro/micro-economics are more of a essential than a competitive advantage these days even for marketing people as the job involves more analysis/research than most people would think.
I don't know what to think about many of these Fashion marketing programms, they really seem to emphasize only on the bloom side of business.
I'm getting a bachelor of fine arts for fashion marketing, which doesn't really make sense. The curriculum is like intro to fashion design classes, one or two business courses, and then classes like visual merchandising, fashion aesthetics, etc. Even though it's a lot more fun than just getting a bachelors in business administration I should probably consider that. I guess it's kind of creepy I did this but I found this woman on linkedin who does PR for CdG(dream job) and she only has a B.S. in marketing.

03-12-2011
scenester

Fantastic thread!

I am currently in my second year at Manchester Metropolitan University studying International Fashion Marketing and I love it. I have to agree with Cologne_rocks - we do focus on logistics and production with very few creative briefs. We also study accounting which involves lots and lots of maths.

My year is currently applying to companies for our placement year so and advice on this would be ah-mazing!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, marketing