trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
fashiongale...where are you ...?
that was a great post...
yeah. great post! thanks fashiongale!

19-01-2007
crossed wires.

I'm doing a Fashion Marketing degree at Northumbria, but it's alot more creative than the majority of the other fashion marketing courses out there in the UK. It's perfect for me because it's got the right amount of creativity balanced with a more practical, market focused side to it. If pure fashion design isn't quite for you, but you still love design, styling, creating market concepts etc and you're good at it then it's a really good course. Northumbria are also bringing about a course called fashion communications this year, which is very much my course without the design, it's more events planning, marketing concepts on paper etc.

This is the course overview for Fashion Marketing http://northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic.../oup/fashmark/

windowshopping

I went to a 4 years university and got my marketing degree and now I'll start a master course in Barcelona (IED) Fashion MKT Communication.
and I've been working in Fashion Marketing for one year now, the good thing is that there are so many things you can do, (runway, campaigns, PR, events in stores, decoration in stores, releases, catalogues, websites, art director...)
My advice is to learn marketing alone , for any market (if you're going to university or college) 'cause marketing is marketing, you have to sell whatever your company gives you, it doens't matter if it's clothes or food, and the "tools" are pratically the same, only working you'll learn what works and doensn't work for fashion.

14-01-2008
backstage pass

^^
Not only that, but a traditional marketing degree from a reputable institution is much more useful in life then a degree in fashion marketing from some random fashion/design oriented institution.

Simultaneously while you're studying a good idea is to try to get an internship at the marketing department of a desire fashion designer or what ever.

windowshopping

you can try berkeley college online courses and can get a AA or BS in Fashion Marketing Management
I'm just throwing that out there.

14-01-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana.lima View Post

My advice is to learn marketing alone , for any market (if you're going to university or college) 'cause marketing is marketing, you have to sell whatever your company gives you, it doens't matter if it's clothes or food, and the "tools" are pratically the same, only working you'll learn what works and doensn't work for fashion.
Exactly! Marketing is like journalism, events, etc etc. You don't need to study specifically fashion marketing to do marketing in fashion, same with journalism. Doing a general marketing degree I believe will in fact be better because it will be a backup and give you more opportunities to start elsewhere, which may lead to a job in fashion later down the track. Just doing fashion marketing is limiting yourself too much in my opinion. It's like saying to do food marketing, you need a degree in food marketing. Am I making sense?

15-01-2008
rising star

Hey, I do the MSc in IFM at Manchester Met., so if anyone has any questions about that particular course please feel free to message me!

windowshopping

Fashion Marketing/Promotion MA?
Hi everyone,

Its my first time posting here. I remember reading on the forum that someone asked about fashion marketing courses. It didn't seem to say much about courses in the MA level. I am just wondering if anyone know which school offers a good and reputable course in MA fashion marketing/communication/ or promotion?

There is a lot on google but I have no idea in terms of their reputation and the quality of the course.

If anyone know anything or heard of anything, please let me know!!!

Thanks

10-02-2008
windowshopping

I am aiming my career path in the Marketing/PR/Journalism fashion area.
I am currently studying a Masters of Marketing in Melbourne - it has no specific Fashion component. I think if you want to study Fashion Marketing - you will definitely need a tertiary education from a leading university if you are aiming to get certain positions. Employers would look for 'hard' marketing subjects that give you the tools and knowledge to succeed in any industry.
For my undergraduate degree I did a Bachelor of Science and for the fashion interest element a Certificate in Fashion Business.
Combine something like this with work experience and a realistic approach to employment to begin with (i.e. sh*t kicker positions!) - you'll be well on your way to breaking into the Fashion Marketing area.

11-02-2008
front row

Im majoring in Marketing at state University in Milan (3years). as someone said I think it's better to do general marketing studies first. Personally I think I wont continue the +2 formula but will try to get in a Master regarding fashion m.

Do you know any good ones in Europe? Central Martin offers a fashion marketing course but dont know if its the right school to be studying marketing?

Unfortunatly Marangoni and Bocconi are VERY expensive..

windowshopping

I just started a 4 month post graduate course at LCF called Fashion Buying and Merchandising. One of the three units is all about Fashion Marketing and it's very interesting!! Anyone wanting to get into buying should have good knowledge of marketing and this course is perfect for it!

19-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephania View Post
I just started a 4 month post graduate course at LCF called Fashion Buying and Merchandising. One of the three units is all about Fashion Marketing and it's very interesting!! Anyone wanting to get into buying should have good knowledge of marketing and this course is perfect for it!
Hey, just out of interest - what qualification do you get from this? Is it a post-grad diploma? It sounds good, I'm currently doing a 12 month Masters, wondering whether I should have gone for something shorter!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarex View Post
Hey, just out of interest - what qualification do you get from this? Is it a post-grad diploma? It sounds good, I'm currently doing a 12 month Masters, wondering whether I should have gone for something shorter!
Hey, upon completion of the course you get a post graduate diploma which is a very good qualification but obviously not as good as a full time masters. This course is intensive and needs a lot of dedication but its very interesting. You should try it after you finish your masters! Its very good for your CV and great for contacts in the industry! Good luck!

20-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephania View Post
Hey, upon completion of the course you get a post graduate diploma which is a very good qualification but obviously not as good as a full time masters. This course is intensive and needs a lot of dedication but its very interesting. You should try it after you finish your masters! Its very good for your CV and great for contacts in the industry! Good luck!
Thanks, sounds good. I have the option on finishing the MSc early and getting a Post Grad Diploma, so I'll see how it goes.

windowshopping

Fashion Marketing Masters Program in London
I have been searching for a while now looking for fashion marketing courses in Master level in London. It seems like the only school that offers that is LCF and I didn't hear the best things about the course.

Does anyone know any reputable schools out there that offers MA level courses in Fashion Marketing/Communications? Even outside of London?

Thanks!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ba, fashion, marketing, paris