Fashion Marketing - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
28-05-2009
windowshopping

I've read The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Fashion Industry its brilliant! I suggest that book to everyone!

04-07-2009
windowshopping

University Studies Or Career College Studies
What do you personally think is better; University Studies Or Career College Studies? Specificially for Fashion related subjects.

There are a few places that offer Fashion Marketing for me in Vancouver but they are Career Colleges, like The Art Institute. (There is also VCAD)

But don't places for hire like seeing that someone has earned a degree, instead of a diploma?

What is your opininon?

05-08-2009
fashion insider

Really interested in this thread! I love it... I have my business degree which included marketing, accounting, HR, economics, etc... Would I need to get my MBA in marketing just to do something or could I get my foot in the door with just a business degree?

Does anyone know of any good colleges in California for fashion marketing?

09-08-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPrincess113 View Post
Really interested in this thread! I love it... I have my business degree which included marketing, accounting, HR, economics, etc... Would I need to get my MBA in marketing just to do something or could I get my foot in the door with just a business degree?

Does anyone know of any good colleges in California for fashion marketing?
All I can think of is FIDM

12-08-2009
windowshopping

interesting thread....when i was transferring majors 3 yrs ago I was in between Marketing or Fashion Marketing. I decided Marketing just to have a general base. I'm taking Fashion Design classes on the side and i hope to do an AA in Parsons online.

20-09-2009
front row

what are good places to study fashion marketing in NYC? I'm interested in master program and I need to know all the possibilities

20-09-2009
fashion icon

Fashion Institute of Technology

20-09-2009
V.I.P.

If you spend some time reading this thread (and some of the other threads about business degrees & working in fashion) , you will discover that "fashion" marketing is not that specialized ... you can study marketing in any good school and then parlay it into fashion, after the fact. Marketing is marketing .... the basics are all the same ... only the poduct differs from company to company. But ... if you study marketing at a non fashion college /uni ... it would be a good idea to try to intern in a fashion company ... in their marketing dept., so you can start to build contacts in the industry. In fashion, it's more about who you know who can help get you in than it is about anything else.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-09-2009 at 03:43 PM.
30-09-2009
backstage pass

Reading for a certified degree is the easy bit, it's getting your foot through the door which is the great challenge. Scoring a job at the marketing department of prestigious brand such as Porsche, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Rolex is incredibly hard. It's an exclusive bubble where by entry is granted by people already on the inside. The places are few and the number of dreams are high. PR is a little bit easier, especially if you are pretty lady but breaking into marketing is only done by flattering the right people.

backstage pass

What are the best universities for marketing in UK?

01-10-2009
fashion icon

^ General Marketing? I heard Kingston University is pretty good

01-10-2009
backstage pass

Yeah, because I am not 100% sure that I want to pursue a career in just fashion marketing, I am afraid that after few years of studies I'll just want to work in general marketing and then fashion marketing diploma won't get me anywhere

09-11-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coradeanz View Post
I've read The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Fashion Industry its brilliant! I suggest that book to everyone!
I've just added it to my "Hold" list at the library.. can't wait to read it! It will be my travel read for when I go home for Thanksgiving.

10-11-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ievut View Post
Yeah, because I am not 100% sure that I want to pursue a career in just fashion marketing, I am afraid that after few years of studies I'll just want to work in general marketing and then fashion marketing diploma won't get me anywhere
I advise that if you want to do fashion marketing, even if general marketing may be your future career, to get into the fashion side it would be better to go to a fashion university..they have all the contacts to get you a job in that area, you are still learning marketing (the same that everyone else does) they just make you do projects relating to art/fashion, it sounds bad but the name of the university sometimes is worth more that the degree

08-12-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coradeanz View Post
I am nearing the end of this book...

Very good! I couldn't put it down. Too bad the publication date is 2000... much has happened in the past 9 years (such as: the closing of Marshall Field's in downtown Chicago, the re-emergence of Balmain, and the continued downfall of department stores in the US).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ba, fashion, marketing, paris