How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-02-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarahls
is visual merchandising very totally different from fashion merchandising?

quite confused...
VISUAL MERCHANDISING:

"Compels the prospective customer to stop, look and to buy through the use of visual presentation. Creates window and/or interior displays of merchandise throughout the store. Showcases new ideas, concepts and products. Coordinates marketing, merchandising and retailing to communicate with the targeted customer. Presents design concepts and store layouts, develops the retail image. Supervises wall and counter displays."

"The question confronting every retailer is what encourages a customer to shop in one store rather than another? The answer: a coordinated effort that includes marketing, merchandising, store design, and visual merchandising. Visual merchandising today has become an indispensable and integral component of the fashion business. It is the tool or language that retailers use to communicate with the targeted customer. Visual merchandising is the passion and the pizzazz of retailing. "

FASHION MERCHANDISING:

"Determines the store's merchandising budget and sets sales goals. Creates and enforces merchandising plans and standards. Directs the store's merchandise profitability. Collects and prepares the merchandise. Feeds information to the design and product development staff. Develops financial plans for product categories. "

"Fashion Merchandising connects every entity of the fashion industry. It is the heart of the industry, where all facets including the designers, the stylists and the retailers are joined together to achieve one goal… to meet the demand of the consumer."

27-02-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlin
VISUAL MERCHANDISING:

"Compels the prospective customer to stop, look and to buy through the use of visual presentation. Creates window and/or interior displays of merchandise throughout the store. Showcases new ideas, concepts and products. Coordinates marketing, merchandising and retailing to communicate with the targeted customer. Presents design concepts and store layouts, develops the retail image. Supervises wall and counter displays."

Thanks I see.

I really want to become a Visual Merchandiser
But I'm gonna do the BA Fashion Management Course in LCF.

Just don't know whether it is the best way to become a Visual Merchandiser,or otherwise shall I do kind of a Interior Design degree?
So...
Anyone know what's the best way to become a Visual Merchandiser?
What kind of course is best for it?(just in London)

27-02-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarahls
Thanks I see.

I really want to become a Visual Merchandiser
But I'm gonna do the BA Fashion Management Course in LCF.

Just don't know whether it is the best way to become a Visual Merchandiser,or otherwise shall I do kind of a Interior Design degree?
So...
Anyone know what's the best way to become a Visual Merchandiser?
What kind of course is best for it?(just in London)
you can actually take a course in visual merchnadising. Heres one school i found.... im not too familiar with UK schools but i tried my best!

http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/course...sing/23778.htm

02-03-2006
windowshopping

thanx!

12-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
No one answered so I'll ask again, does anyone know any schools that offer fashion merchandising undergrad programs other than LCF and FIT?
I am a fashion merchandising undergrad at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA . . . it's not FIT but it's not that expensive either. We also have Home Fashion Merchandising and of course Fashion Design degrees.

16-03-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre07
I am a fashion merchandising undergrad at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA . . . it's not FIT but it's not that expensive either. We also have Home Fashion Merchandising and of course Fashion Design degrees.
there's also Laboratories Institue of Merchandising in Manhattan, New York
heres the link
http://www.limcollege.edu/html/prospectivestudents.htm

19-03-2006
front row

Hey! I just thought I'd put this out there.. I go to Bowling Green State University (In Ohio) and I'm in Apparel Merchandising and Product Development. We can either do all 4 years here w/ a minor in marketing OR you can spend your junior year at FIT (through a "visiting student program" at BGSU) and pursue something in addition, then finish up at bgsu. This is what I was going to do but FIT lost my transcripts and never told me so I was lost in the shuffle..

windowshopping

Hi everyone!

I have a question about schools in the US. I already have a bachelors in systems engineering, so I feel that I do have some background in business already. I am interested in fashion merchandising or fashion marketing, but of course I would like to get a graduate degree. I was thinking about maybe an MBA, but I would like some masters degree that's related to fashion merchandising or fashion marketing.

Which schools in the US would you guys recommend for this case? and also, do you guys know of any schools that have online or long distance graduate programs?? (reputable schools of course).

Thanks!!!

23-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
No one answered so I'll ask again, does anyone know any schools that offer fashion merchandising undergrad programs other than LCF and FIT?
Im going here in the fall: http://www.fisher.edu/

24-03-2006
windowshopping

Any info on Grad schools in the US??

05-06-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ I'll be moving down to Tallahassee, FL with my beau in a couple of months... he'll be in grad school down there... I've been looking into fashion-related grad studies... do quite a lot of U.S. univerisities offer graduate programs relating to fashion?

08-06-2006
front row

Erin, i'm actually hoping to attend Florida State University, it's the only school in-state for me that offers classes pertaining to fashion. I'm planning on getting some sort of degree in fashion buying or visual merchandising. You should see if you can attend some classes there while you will already be in Tallahassee!

http://www.chs.fsu.edu/tcs/undergrad...chandising.php

hope that is a help!

i'd be interested in hearing from professionals in this field & seeing if it was a worthwhile career choice/enough opportunities? I have to make a huge decision about whether or not to go into the field of fashion!

Last edited by vintageamour; 08-06-2006 at 09:44 AM.
08-06-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Oh wow, you don't say? Very cool... look for a PM from me...

03-07-2006
rising star

Can anyone recommend good books and websites about visual merchandising? Thanks!

Last edited by gardenpea; 03-07-2006 at 11:36 AM.
06-07-2006
windowshopping

Becoming a Fashion Merchandiser
Hey, my name is Shonta I live in Los Angeles,CA I'm a college student my major is Fashion Merchandising and I work in retail. I love everything about about fashion and I would do anything to gain my experience. I been looking for internships, volunteer work but it seems like nothing is happening. Can anyone suggest something to me?

Thanks

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, merchandising