Fashion Stylists: Clothes and Connections! - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
03-02-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Softgrey,I only know from personal advice from European friends who are stylists or who have styled(as I am obtaining the same goal,myself),tell me that usually when you work freelance or on an independent basis most times you have to hire for clothing from a designer etc. Even when doing work for a magazine in that same respect. I dunno,it probably works differently in some cases and with some magazines and designers. Plus you've got those stylists who are also more established and well known like Camille Bidault-Waddington or Jane How who can easily grab hold of certain things unlike an obscure in someone like Anna Clausen or Katja Rahlwes and Yasmine Eslami.

03-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

oh lordy-now why didn't I say that?!?! You are 100% on the money...

thank you so much!

good luck with the career switch marrimoda, sounds like you're off to a good start!
you certainly understand how this business works...all my best

03-02-2004
chaos reigns

Thanks for the info, ppl!
I've learned my new thing of the day!

Mannikin

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Feb 3rd, 2004 - 8:19 pm
iI think whether its Bottega veneta or Bruno pieters designers will let magazines borow clothes.
I always thought so.. it's like free advertising (as mentioned earlier).

Thanks for the input guys!

04-02-2004
Hoppity Hop

This thread is a perfect example of someone asking a question and getting it answered from someone who knows exactly how it all works. Good job, softgrey.

04-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Atelier@Feb 4th, 2004 - 9:17 am
This thread is a perfect example of someone asking a question and getting it answered from someone who knows exactly how it all works. Good job, softgrey.
thanks atelier-I hope Scott doesn't think I was coming on too strong...

I can get pretty passionate...

I'm still new here, but I can see there are a number of people with excellent taste and a serious interest in and knowledge of Fashion. It's quite impressive and very refreshing, especially because nowadays anyone who can dress themselves in the morning seems to want to be a stylist and every iyahoo with a camera wants to be a photographer... If only it were that easy...It's good to see people doing their homework! It will pay off!

04-02-2004

Okay,well I suppose I'm an idiot about it all then :rollseyes: And thank you very much,I have done my homework. You don't have to be so arrogant in your little comment which I assume was directed at me. Just because you have more experience than I, doesn't mean you have to act superioric.

04-02-2004
backstage pass

i question the validity of anyones arguement who refuses to acknowledge that designers are not always throwing their garments at magazines. if anyone is going to incur fees, its often the stylist/magazine in the way of restocking fees, drycleaning bills, etc.

04-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 4th, 2004 - 11:44 am

I'm still new here, but I can see there are a number of people with excellent taste and a serious interest in and knowledge of Fashion. It's quite impressive and very refreshing, especially because nowadays anyone who can dress themselves in the morning seems to want to be a stylist and every iyahoo with a camera wants to be a photographer... If only it were that easy...It's good to see people doing their homework! It will pay off!
woah woah...Scott I WAS talking about you, but I must have not come across right because that is not AT ALL what I meant!

I meant that you were one of the people I think IS doing their homework. I can see from your previous posts that you have a good eye and a real knowledge and understanding of design. I love reading your posts.

I love what you said ages ago in the 'fave fashion mag' thread. I miss Liz Tilberis too. I don't think things have been the same since she's been gone. I totally respect your opinion.

Sheesh-This is very frustrating. I was just trying to answer the question! I was hoping that my experience could benefit some people who are just starting out. I don't know what happened...

Now, I could tell you about re-stocking fees, but I think I'll pass this time...

04-02-2004
doing it

hey softgrey thanks for your compliment and well wishes...

And in general:
It's interesting, when you remove the visual and aural communication signals, it is so easy for ideas to be either miscommunicated or misunderstood.

Posts don't read the same way as we intend them to as we are writing them, and we also read-into posts what isn't actually there.

We do not have to agree on everything...then again I wouldnt want all of us to agree on everything -- if we all had the same ideas there wouldnt be a need for so many designers, eh?

Peace, love, and light

04-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by marrimoda@Feb 4th, 2004 - 10:50 pm

Peace, love, and light
AMEN

05-02-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Feb 4th, 2004 - 8:08 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Feb 4th, 2004 - 8:08 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Feb 4th, 2004 - 11:44 am

woah woah...Scott I WAS talking about you, but I must have not come across right because that is not AT ALL what I meant!

I meant that you were one of the people I think IS doing their homework. I can see from your previous posts that you have a good eye and a real knowledge and understanding of design. I love reading your posts.

I love what you said ages ago in the 'fave fashion mag' thread. I miss Liz Tilberis too. I don't think things have been the same since she's been gone. I totally respect your opinion.

Sheesh-This is very frustrating. I was just trying to answer the question! I was hoping that my experience could benefit some people who are just starting out. I don't know what happened...

Now, I could tell you about re-stocking fees, but I think I'll pass this time...[/b][/quote]
I am truly very sorry if I mis-read your comment I'm soooooo sorry!! Just the same as you I suppose,my passions come across probably a little too strongly.

Would it be too late to say thank you? I appreciate everyone and its actually unlike me for to get steamed like that.

05-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott+Feb 5th, 2004 - 11:37 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 5th, 2004 - 11:37 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 4th, 2004 - 8:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
Quote:
@Feb 4th, 2004 - 11:44 am

I'm still new here, but I can see there are a number of people with excellent taste and a serious interest in and knowledge of Fashion.* It's quite impressive and very refreshing, especially because nowadays anyone who can dress themselves in the morning seems to want to be a stylist and every iyahoo with a camera wants to be a photographer...* If only it were that easy...It's good to see people doing their homework!* It will pay off!

Now, I could tell you about re-stocking fees, but I think I'll pass this time...
I am truly very sorry if I mis-read your comment I'm soooooo sorry!! Just the same as you I suppose,my passions come across probably a little too strongly.

Would it be too late to say thank you? I appreciate everyone and its actually unlike me for to get steamed like that. [/b][/quote]
well, you are welcome , my new friend. let us start over

Hi-I'm softgrey, I'm new here. wanna be friends?

05-02-2004
etre soi-meme

softgrey knows exactly how it works, sometimes designers even attempt.. bribing the stylists to get their clothes in a fashionshoot
much more the rising names my dearest scott*
i wonder who in europe gave you this false info, because i know it wasnt me quite not correct

over all , its a great compliment for a designer to be asked by a stylist to borrow clothes for a shoot including some.. commercial use (pop videos) but never for films or advertising, this the stylist (through advertising company) has to pay for, but its always included in the budget the stylist asks for the job, so, its quite painless.

you'll be amazed how easily indie designers will be willing to borrow stylists clothes even for test shots (either for a photographer or a model) at the end everyone gets happy out of the free shots for their own books

05-02-2004

Perhaps,things again were misconstrued on my part. I really have no idea who told me that information just that the explanation there in my mind for some reason

Thanks for sharing this with me...both of you,otherwise I would have probably gone into it and not realized this. Actually,it sounds pretty easy especially when one is just beginning to have a designer let you borrow,non?

Anyway,I apologize for my ignorance in that respect

Softgrey,its a pleasure to meet you and let me be the first to say....Welcome and I hope we can have better conversations in the future

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, connections, fashion, stylists